The Cadets - 2014

DON'T do it!

see? total loss of composure :-)

anyway go cadets! i like this program in spite of all the reasons i shouldn't. forget the message and narration and stage and narrator and everything else...because behind all that, it's just the cadets being the cadets. and sometimes that's enough!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

No, but there is speculation here that the narrator pre-recorded his own voice, and lip-synchs along with it during the performance. Many pop-stars do this for big arena performances, as it is difficult to self-monitor their voices in such a noisy environment.

I watched the narrator through binoculars at the Dekalb show, and he sure seemed to be speaking for real. But only God and GH know for sure.

I was about 25 rows up off one of the 40s in Dekalb, and it was pretty obvious to tell from there that he was lip syncing (except of course when his mic didn't work in the beginning of the show). I even wondered aloud in the Dekalb thread if being able to TELL that he is lip syncing dings their GE a little in some way. Don't get me wrong - I really like their show this year, but IMHO anytime you can tell something is lip synced (with lips not quite matching the words/lyrics coming out of the mouth) it sort of becomes a little painful to watch. Not to that extreme here, just noticeable up close what's going on.

I was about 25 rows up off one of the 40s in Dekalb, and it was pretty obvious to tell from there that he was lip syncing (except of course when his mic didn't work in the beginning of the show).

The fact that he was speaking live, but not being heard past the first few rows because of an equipment failure, would indicate that he isn't lip synching. If the tracks are pre recorded, they should have been playing even if his lips weren't moving, not the other way around.

Edited by Slingerland

I was about 25 rows up off one of the 40s in Dekalb, and it was pretty obvious to tell from there that he was lip syncing (except of course when his mic didn't work in the beginning of the show). I even wondered aloud in the Dekalb thread if being able to TELL that he is lip syncing dings their GE a little in some way. Don't get me wrong - I really like their show this year, but IMHO anytime you can tell something is lip synced (with lips not quite matching the words/lyrics coming out of the mouth) it sort of becomes a little painful to watch. Not to that extreme here, just noticeable up close what's going on.

how does one lip synch with a live mic?

if you're 25 rows up at a college fb stadium, you're far enough away from the amps that there is a slight lag for the sound to arrive.

I was in row 34, off the 50. Through the binoculars, I noted a very slight lag between the narrators lips and the sound reaching my ears. But I figured this was just the normal sound delay at work. Otherwise, the narrator's facial expressions and mouth movements seemed to match the spoken narrative in a precise fashion.

Of course, this does not rule out syncing. But if he is syncing, he is really good at it.

GH's response to someone on FB asking him to stop having the guy lip synch -- "What are you talking about??"

For what that's worth.