The Cadets - 2014

Quibble? I don't think I've seen anything as dreadful in drum corps as I did last night at the end of this show. I can't believe it didn't tank their score (relatively speaking).

As for removing these things if they receive negative feedback: ain't gonna happen. They've spent way too much money to ditch all these graphics. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if Mr. Hopkins has the fortitude and objectivity to recognize what this does to the show and remove it all.

P.S. You've got to hand it to George for distracting the conversation away from the narration to something else. Well played Mr. Hopkins.

They are sitting in the Silver spot behind what might be the best combined show/performance of all time. Why would he lessen the show at this point?

• Like 1

They are sitting in the Silver spot behind what might be the best combined show/performance of all time. Why would he lessen the show at this point?

Exactly. Which is why I hate it that the judges didn't "punish" them for this.

This thread is depressing.

You bet is is. I wish I could just think about art and ideas and be emotionally moved by outstanding performances and music, rather than all the #### political and historical baggage from a show that looks more and more like the over-the-top opening sequence to the Colbert Report, though, without any humor, and is so syrupy and self-deludedly earnest, it summons rolled-eyes, laughter, embarrassment, anger, or depression from, it seems, a few more people than just me.

I want to support the Cadets as a fan and FMM. I always support the kids. I just get depressed at what a handful of design people can do when they shove ideas down people's throats, rather than rely more on the hundreds of brilliant and creative people in the Cadets' camp.

One way, or another, Cadets got plenty of 'ink' this year! What's so curious to me, the corps would likely get an enormous, positive, audience reaction to the show, if it REMOVED a few elements rather than adding more! Strange.

Still, absolutely no doubt in my mind, this is a very strong and deserving runner-up to Blue Devils, who some believe offer the pinnacle drum corps presentation of all time. Can't imagine the stun that will occur if things don't conclude the way so many are expecting!

You bet is is. I wish I could just think about art and ideas and be emotionally moved by outstanding performances and music, rather than all the #### political and historical baggage from a show that looks more and more like the over-the-top opening sequence to the Colbert Report, though, without any humor, and is so syrupy and self-deludedly earnest, it summons rolled-eyes, laughter, embarrassment, anger, or depression from, it seems, a few more people than just me.

I want to support the Cadets as a fan and FMM. I always support the kids. I just get depressed at what a handful of design people can do when they shove ideas down people's throats, rather than rely more on the hundreds of brilliant and creative people in the Cadets' camp.

I think you are just THINKING to much..its not all that or doesnt have to be

a show that looks more and more like the over-the-top opening sequence to the Colbert Report

Oh Mr. zigzigZag, this made me laugh out loud. What a perfect description!

Maybe tonight they'll have a big foam eagle on sticks that they will fly across the field at the end with the same eagle "screeches." At this point, let's go all out Design team!

Heck, maybe they can borrow Regiment's big witch from last year...put a beard and top hat on it and stroll it across the field. Now we're talkin'! I'm getting more excited than ever to see what they'll come up with.

• Like 1

Oh Mr. zigzigZag, this made me laugh out loud. What a perfect description!

Maybe tonight they'll have a big foam eagle on sticks that they will fly across the field at the end with the same eagle "screeches." At this point, let's go all out Design team!

Heck, maybe they can borrow Regiment's big witch from last year...put a beard and top hat on it and stroll it across the field. Now we're talkin'! I'm getting more excited than ever to see what they'll come up with.

Ok we get it. You hate it.

Ok we get it. You hate it.

I'm just getting started.

american-flag-cross.jpg

Maybe the Cadets are really doing a more subversive show than Boston.... :poke:

Amen, Mr. Lewis and Sideways. That's basically the (growing) problem, but I would call it authoritarian corporatist plutocracy more than fascism.

Art is abstract, ambiguous. The more direct it is, the more it becomes propaganda.

Hell, even Beethoven learned his lesson when he violently crossed out his 3rd symphony tribute to Napoleon.

• Like 1