The Cadets - 2014

Ask not what you do for drum corps planet

Ask what you do for drum corps

I have not posted here since 2007. I see much has not changed here

The Cadets have a rich 80 year history of entertaining and educating.

I am thrilled to be able to return this summer as a corps volunteer!

I rejoined the corps for a short day June 18th, I was impressed at how focused everyone was.

I saw the DCI premire at the cinema this last Monday...what a great season this will be for DCI!

I will be rejoining tour 7/9-7/13 and finals week.

What have I been up to since 2007?

I should say down to as I have lost almost 100lbs since I last posted here (the hard way with proper diet and lots of excersize)

Congrats on the weight loss. That's great! Corps this year is fantastic - get the feeling the staff could give this corps anything to accomplish and they'd knock it right out! Enjoy the show.

So. I watched Cadets rehearsal today, and watched the show. I have to say they COMPLETELY shut me up about how much I didn't like this show. The show is VERY good. There are really no weak sections in the corps. Guard is absolutely fantastic. Horns are playing and marching extremely well at this point in the season. Drumline is en fuego. I know Bluecoats beat them in drums tonight, but I think Cadets battery has the chops to come back. I really want this show to win now. I am looking forward to seeing how it matches up with the west coast corps and crown again.

Needless to say, I'll be eating a heaping helping of Crow this summer.

GO CADETS!!!

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 4

http://youtu.be/9sb8X4AR_es

Cadet Bass - learning the music

FI-nally.

I find it fascinating. I also find it fascinating that multiple posters on this forum on other threads are counting Cadets out stating the show will peak early, it'll be passed up by either Crown or Bluecoats or both, and that the show has no chance of winning. From what I've seen so far, I am taking a wait-and-see approach as the Cadets are doing very well, performing at a high level, and given it's only the beginning of July, I am almost ABSOLUTELY SURE they will "win through to absolute victory" even if they do get passed up by either Crown or Bluecoats or both.

Edited by 2000Cadet

so I found this very nice brass warmup for Cadets from last night - great sound out of them this year:

note: this is not the "blow your face off" typical warm up - just lovely though IMO

http://youtu.be/RBhbyCOUUsk?t=1m5s

• Like 3

from Hopkins on Cadets today -

> added 24 counts of character to Dance
> Change the first 15 seconds of Roosevelt --- music and visual
> redoing the bolts ... to the percussion line in JFK
> Worked on cummerbunds ... many too large as kids are losing lots of weight.
Linda and her team are hard at work -- thank god for the volunteers.
> and tonight the guard uniform fittings ...

great day ... bit warm but ..

work to be done. We are rehearsing until 9 pm ... a 13 hour day !!!!

FI-nally.

I find it fascinating. I also find it fascinating that multiple posters on this forum on other threads are counting Cadets out stating the show will peak early, it'll be passed up by either Crown or Bluecoats or both, and that the show has no chance of winning. From what I've seen so far, I am taking a wait-and-see approach as the Cadets are doing very well, performing at a high level, and given it's only the beginning of July, I am almost ABSOLUTELY SURE they will "win through to absolute victory" even if they do get passed up by either Crown or Bluecoats or both.

Cadets have the same shot at winning as do BD, Crown and Coats. They'll make their changes as Crown and BD have done as they both had several days off from shows to do so. Watching BD on their last broadcast, the Cadets would be foolish to still do the run and gun shows of the past. It's amazing how several of these other top tier corps stop and play their harder runs. Drill wise, Cadets have by far the most demand just mute the shows and watch. Interestingly, since all the corps are flooding their shows with props (ramps, chairs, trampolines, castles, birdcages etc., Cadets are giving us a clean, raw, super exposed show. They are the novel ones this year! Lol. Ok, I'm waiting exit music, naked eye and a few others to emerge from their caves... Edited by theCHEZman

So. I watched Cadets rehearsal today, and watched the show. I have to say they COMPLETELY shut me up about how much I didn't like this show. The show is VERY good. There are really no weak sections in the corps. Guard is absolutely fantastic. Horns are playing and marching extremely well at this point in the season. Drumline is en fuego. I know Bluecoats beat them in drums tonight, but I think Cadets battery has the chops to come back. I really want this show to win now. I am looking forward to seeing how it matches up with the west coast corps and crown again.

Needless to say, I'll be eating a heaping helping of Crow this summer.

GO CADETS!!!

That's cool. Were you luke-warm to the show watching videos but then fell in love with it seeing it live? That type of thing is always fascinating, and it's hard for me to decide it it's a pure emotional type of thing that brings people in (or turns them off), or if seeing it live = hearing/seeing things you missed on the video (or hearing/seeing things clearer live).

Can you give any insight on what about seeing it live made the production click for you?

FI-nally.

Man, if there is any "championship-contending" corps that I would never think "could peak too early" it's Cadets. If anything, Cadets are scary with how much they can clean/fix in the last week going into Championships: not peak. If there's one thing that seems ingrained in Cadets' DNA it's "things won't be completely money until August." Even shows of theirs that not quite hit for me improved immensely by Championship week. I can't imagine thinking Cadets show will peak early.

I can imagine BD, or Crown, or maybe Bluecoats getting clean and their show looking more appealing down the stretch. Maybe that's closer to the implied sentiment. But Cadets are the one corps that if they're winning or super close in June you can count on them contending in August because that means they have a judge-friendly show and once they clean - LOOK OUT!

• Like 2