The Cadets - 2014

I hear from Cadet-land you will see noticeable changes to the show and the ending has been enhanced but not changed (yet). Cadets have had three days in Cheshire, that's more than enough time for them to do what they want. Let's hope they get the show in tonight, forecast is not looking good.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

There's a hurricane a'comin.

So. I watched Cadets rehearsal today, and watched the show. I have to say they COMPLETELY shut me up about how much I didn't like this show. The show is VERY good. There are really no weak sections in the corps. Guard is absolutely fantastic. Horns are playing and marching extremely well at this point in the season. Drumline is en fuego. I know Bluecoats beat them in drums tonight, but I think Cadets battery has the chops to come back. I really want this show to win now. I am looking forward to seeing how it matches up with the west coast corps and crown again.

Needless to say, I'll be eating a heaping helping of Crow this summer.

GO CADETS!!!

I shared your sentiments when I saw the Cadets in Johnstown a week before they pulled out of spring training. I went that weekend because of the stuff spreading on DCP on how their show concept just was not going to work and I wanted to see with my own eyes just what was going on. What I saw, I knew that this corps was going to be very good and that all sections were strong, particularly the color guard. They have not disappointed their staff, fan-base, alumni, and volunteers. Cadets are scary to deal with when their product is good coming out the gate and it has been exactly that even with the complaints of the stage and the narration. This is going to be a very good year for the Cadets. I believe it is up to the kids to where they want to take this show.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

How is the narrator as an actor live? I mean physically. On the Lawrence video, during, say, the Roosevelt sequences, I just want him to stop walking back and forth and waving his arms around. He's not supposed to actually be Roosevelt, after all (if he were, among other things, he'd be in a wheelchair, or at least using braces--I've seen Ed Asner in the one-man FDR play). When an orchestra does Lincoln Portrait, the narrator stands still and looks dignified. From a video perspective, at least, Cadets, who are fairly brilliant in all other respects than the handling of the narration, would be much better keeping him in one place.

One more thing. In the JFK section, there is an awkward narrative passage that goes like this:

--Narrator: "We choose to go the moon not because it is easy..."

--JFK recording: "...but because it is hard."

The narrator at both Akron and Lawrence appears to be saying just the words "it is" at the same time as the recording. What is that about?

(And those are the narrator's last words.)

I'm sure the judges are asking these same things. This is a real testament to how much the Cadets have learned about narration. Years ago there were hundreds of posts slamming the cheesy writing, the lack of skill of the narrator and how distracting it all was. Here we see suggestions and questions about nuance, costume and whether or not he should move.

I for one don't really like narration in shows after seeing it done many different ways, but everytime I see this show, he stops talking at what I consider to be the perfect spot. Just enough narration to paint a picture in the minds eye of the president, then they turn it over to the corps to express visually, emotionally and musically. To have it like this right out of the gate tells me its going to be super and emotional by finals week.

Yep, I agree. With this show, less is better with narration. Ive noticed The Cadets are starting to work with him on gestures, facial expressions so he is exploring the emotions of a third person narrating but being affected by what he is saying. They will continue to tweak and refine. He is becoming a star in his own right. I just wish they would put him in his Cadet uniform. He is a tall, very good looking kid with a great voice. Let him be the Cadet star.

• Like 1

I just wish they would put him in his Cadet uniform. He is a tall, very good looking kid with a great voice. Let him be the Cadet star.

I think they want him to be as non-distracting as possible (cream suit thing) while still having him in uniform (maroon jacket, gold cummerbund, etc.). Maybe put him in the white uniform like the pit. That could work. Or maybe even a cream two-piece suit with a maroon vest and tie. The hybrid thing he has on right now is not very attractive......

• Like 2

I agree, LESS spoken word is needed here. The Narrator-member is wonderful. I'm not so sure the show needs all the recorded presidential stuff, however. Maybe just ONE, clear recorded message at an opportune time. Your thoughts, CHEZman?

• Like 1

We could have him act out the presidents. Add a stovepipe hat for Lincoln, have someone hold him up from behind as FDR, give him a bed to share with the guard for Kennedy... :tounge2:

Mike

He's gonna need a golf club, too!

Really, I just want to see LESS 'word' in that show. The corps is exceptional, for sure, and can win it all. But, who can deny the 'wordy thing' and the huge stage have unsettled too many fans, if just based on what we read here?

Another suggestion for the stage. Maybe use the same stage structure, but split it in half with a 15 yard opening between the halves. The same stage will seem less dominant, I think. The guard costume changes can happen in two locations.