The Cadets - 2014

so I found this very nice brass warmup for Cadets from last night - great sound out of them this year:

note: this is not the "blow your face off" typical warm up - just lovely though IMO

http://youtu.be/RBhbyCOUUsk?t=1m5s

What hymn is that? It's also a pop tune as well. I can't place it.

That's cool. Were you luke-warm to the show watching videos but then fell in love with it seeing it live? That type of thing is always fascinating, and it's hard for me to decide it it's a pure emotional type of thing that brings people in (or turns them off), or if seeing it live = hearing/seeing things you missed on the video (or hearing/seeing things clearer live).

Can you give any insight on what about seeing it live made the production click for you?

It was a combination of quite a few things actually. Watching the Akron VOD and comparing it to the VOD of the first show, watching a few youtube videos, watching them rehearse in Jackson, and finally watching the show live in Jackson. Getting the chance to see how much they've improved from the first show to Akron, and then analyzing the show at their rehearsal is what kinda changed my mind. Watching them perform in Jackson sealed the deal for me. Even though Gino was ripping the hornline apart during rehearsal (which is always to be expected), they had this sense of urgency and pride in performing that show which made it seem as if this was the last show they were going to perform.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

It was a combination of quite a few things actually. Watching the Akron VOD and comparing it to the VOD of the first show, watching a few youtube videos, watching them rehearse in Jackson, and finally watching the show live in Jackson. Getting the chance to see how much they've improved from the first show to Akron, and then analyzing the show at their rehearsal is what kinda changed my mind. Watching them perform in Jackson sealed the deal for me. Even though Gino was ripping the hornline apart during rehearsal (which is always to be expected), they had this sense of urgency and pride in performing that show which made it seem as if this was the last show they were going to perform.

I think also by watching rehearsal, chunk by chunk, one starts to see the demand of the show more in the form of nuances and subtle movements, tempo variations vs, "look how many notes we can play although we're not moving" that some others do. I also thing the show transitions are masterful. They literally take you through American history in 10 minutes with no odd transitions. Narrator is wonderful and I noticed they are now developing his body movements, gestures and facial expressions. That's not noticeable to most of the crowd and certainly not from high up, but it is an example of the minute details they are attending to in this show. BD does this very well also.

How is the narrator as an actor live? I mean physically. On the Lawrence video, during, say, the Roosevelt sequences, I just want him to stop walking back and forth and waving his arms around. He's not supposed to actually be Roosevelt, after all (if he were, among other things, he'd be in a wheelchair, or at least using braces--I've seen Ed Asner in the one-man FDR play). When an orchestra does Lincoln Portrait, the narrator stands still and looks dignified. From a video perspective, at least, Cadets, who are fairly brilliant in all other respects than the handling of the narration, would be much better keeping him in one place.

One more thing. In the JFK section, there is an awkward narrative passage that goes like this:

--Narrator: "We choose to go the moon not because it is easy..."

--JFK recording: "...but because it is hard."

The narrator at both Akron and Lawrence appears to be saying just the words "it is" at the same time as the recording. What is that about?

(And those are the narrator's last words.)

so I found this very nice brass warmup for Cadets from last night - great sound out of them this year:

note: this is not the "blow your face off" typical warm up - just lovely though IMO

http://youtu.be/RBhbyCOUUsk?t=1m5s

Oh wow, the first part is from the '93 show. Really nice.

How is the narrator as an actor live? I mean physically. On the Lawrence video, during, say, the Roosevelt sequences, I just want him to stop walking back and forth and waving his arms around. He's not supposed to actually be Roosevelt, after all (if he were, among other things, he'd be in a wheelchair, or at least using braces--I've seen Ed Asner in the one-man FDR play). When an orchestra does Lincoln Portrait, the narrator stands still and looks dignified. From a video perspective, at least, Cadets, who are fairly brilliant in all other respects than the handling of the narration, would be much better keeping him in one place.

One more thing. In the JFK section, there is an awkward narrative passage that goes like this:

--Narrator: "We choose to go the moon not because it is easy..."

--JFK recording: "...but because it is hard."

The narrator at both Akron and Lawrence appears to be saying just the words "it is" at the same time as the recording. What is that about?

(And those are the narrator's last words.)

Can you imagine the firestorm had he been using a wheelchair?

• Like 1

I wonder if the new additions are going into the show tonight? Too bad they didn't take a week off like Crown and BD to have more time to put them in and clean it up before a show.

I wonder if the new additions are going into the show tonight? Too bad they didn't take a week off like Crown and BD to have more time to put them in and clean it up before a show.

I hear from Cadet-land you will see noticeable changes to the show and the ending has been enhanced but not changed (yet). Cadets have had three days in Cheshire, that's more than enough time for them to do what they want. Let's hope they get the show in tonight, forecast is not looking good.

Irving

Fan of the Arts