We Need To Talk About [CENSORED]...

It may be a coincidence, but perhaps the preshow thing relates to the G7/MiM thing in that the bosses are expressing frustration with the lack of general popularity and are trying various things to help. A recent illustration of this is the Ohio State band getting exposure on TV news channels and an internet meme-level video view, while almost nobody in America can even name a drum corps.

If so, then these experiments may be attempts to do things differently just to see what happens. But I don't think the lack of popularity has anything to do with what happens on the field, which is basically fantastic (including the announcers generally).

In my opinion, whether it is Brandt Crocker, Dan Potter, Oprah, or whoever, the person should announce the corps entering the field and ‘not’ to be required to be a part of their show design.

Can you imagine Oprah announcing at any show? The schedule would be like this.

Introduction

Commercial

Commercial

Commercial

Corps Pefomance

Oprah

Oprah

Commercial

Commercial

Commercial

Corps Performance

Commercial

Commercial

Commercial

Oprah

Oprah

Commercial

Commercial

Corps Performance

Percussion Judge bouncing on sofa

• Like 1

It may be a coincidence, but perhaps the preshow thing relates to the G7/MiM thing in that the bosses are expressing frustration with the lack of general popularity and are trying various things to help. A recent illustration of this is the Ohio State band getting exposure on TV news channels and an internet meme-level video view, while almost nobody in America can even name a drum corps.

If so, then these experiments may be attempts to do things differently just to see what happens. But I don't think the lack of popularity has anything to do with what happens on the field, which is basically fantastic (including the announcers generally).

Not to mention that TBDBITL was actually in Apple's TV commercial highlighting what they've done with the iPad and show programming.

But if you're correct and drum corps leadership is frustrated as you suggest, it would be a supreme act of business lunacy to think that having Brandt Crocker announce a corps 41 seconds later than normal would create any sort of activity buzz what-so-ever.

I'd like to think that the "bosses" are smarter than that, even (especially?) the G7/MiM bosses.

I think they were just trying to create a more consistent or entertaining "flow" instead of the "announce, play, exit, repeat" process of past years. I'm not saying I think its rational or useful, but I don't think it was an attempt to create public buzz about how cool drum corps is.

well let's be honest, it's really what WGI has been doing for a few years now. retreat is all but how WGI does it, minus bringing up the entire membership of 3rd, 2nd and 1st to present them medals.

Well let's also be honest that in the not so distant past DCI was the leader, the commanding ship, the entity in which other marching arts actiovities aspired, and WGI, BOA, et al were the followers. That has apparently been flipped around today where DCI has not only lost the leadership role but is now in the position of following the lead of the other major marching arts activities!

• Like 1

... but I don't think it was an attempt to create public buzz about how cool drum corps is.

I admit It does sound crazy. But clearly someones* did indeed think it would make shows better. Whoevers** that was probably thought others would like it too. How could they not be thinking about popularity, at least in part? But I am just speculating.

I like preshows a lot actually. They allow the corps to warm up while getting the audience in the right mood. But the announcement methodology doesn't work.

I can say there was an interview last year with Michael Cesario and he distanced himself from preshows by saying he didn't understand "these preshows they're doing now.." or some such phraseology. Then again, he may have been talking about they way corps do them, rather than the rules or the announcing.

* That's a technical term.

** Yep.

Well let's also be honest that in the not so distant past DCI was the leader, the commanding ship, the entity in which other marching arts actiovities aspired, and WGI, BOA, et al were the followers. That has apparently been flipped around today where DCI has not only lost the leadership role but is now in the position of following the lead of the other major marching arts activities!

no matter who is the leader, the retreat format sucks

I admit It does sound crazy. But clearly someones* did indeed think it would make shows better. Whoevers** that was probably thought others would like it too. How could they not be thinking about popularity, at least in part? But I am just speculating.

I like preshows a lot actually. They allow the corps to warm up while getting the audience in the right mood. But the announcement methodology doesn't work.

I can say there was an interview last year with Michael Cesario and he distanced himself from preshows by saying he didn't understand "these preshows they're doing now.." or some such phraseology. Then again, he may have been talking about they way corps do them, rather than the rules or the announcing.

* That's a technical term.

** Yep.

i got the impression that the way they are presenting them are confusing, as few truly add much to the overall show

i got the impression that the way they are presenting them are confusing, as few truly add much to the overall show

I see what you're saying I think; When I'm watching a video I know it's a preshow because I've seen the video before. But when I saw shows live it was harder for the audience to tell that the show hadn't started officially. So the announcer was a surprise. Crown 2010 A Second Chance must have been confusing for people, for example. Still, the preshow itself was great.

There was no doubt or question when Madison's show started last year. Joe Bruno!

Honestly, I very much liked the way DCA used to handle this.

Each corps was allowed a one-minute warmup. Several corps did it the "traditional" way... warming up backfield, stopping, being introduced...then starting their judged show.

But others corps over the years ... the Empire Statesmen and NY Skyliners in particular... did a "moving warmup". The introduction announcements were made before they started... the corps performed its warmup (usually a "pre-show" setting up their judged show, like the Statesmen's live-announcer "Rat Pack" intro in 2001... when they had their own guy... local radio personality Bob Scott... using the stadium PA system to do the live voiceover)... and at the one-minute mark, the DM would signal the chief judge that the judged portion was starting, with a salute or some other signal.

It made for a seamless transition from pre-show to judged show... without anything in the way.

From a PA announcer's perspective, sometimes I think the people in charge of such things tend to over-think/over-analyze what might work... instead of going with a simple, easier-to-follow format that... well... flows better, for lack of a better term. And... again from an announcer's perspective... it would be nice if the PA people who work a lot of shows are allowed to give some input into what works, and what doesn't... since we're the folks on the front lines.

My own opinion... not that of any organization for which I have done work.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1