A NEW CORPS

I am the director/founder of the light brigade drum and bugle corps, a new corps that is just starting up in the DCI finals state of Indiana. as of right now we do not have very many members and are not officially a DCA corps. for the 2014 season we are just planning to march in the small drum corps association so we can raise our funding and membership. I would like anyone in the state of Indiana or the surrounding states to take a look at our website and strongly consider joining.

sites.google.com/site/42lightbrigade/ (you may have to copy and paste url)

we are an ALL AGE corps for the time being until the corps is strong enough to handle a full tour then we will make a decision as to whether or not to be DCA or DCI.

Edited by naterb27

Very best of luck to you guys but to avoid conflicts with the grammar nazi's around here you might want to consider a more appropriate introduction for your corps.

Good luck!

Are you serious? I visited your website and found this on your link "About us":

From your webiste: sites.google.com/site/42lightbrigade

WHO WE ARE

We are a new corps starting up in the 2014 season. We plan to at least march SDCA, but I am trying to get approved for DCA, and maybe next year DCI(2014 deadline was early December).

To my knowledge we will be the only active drum and bugle corps in the state of Indiana.

HOW IT WILL WORK

This corps is going to be ran a little differently from most other corps. We will be a student ran organization much like a FFA chapter, we will have officers with specific duties such as; treasurer, reporter, sentinel, music, drill, and more. This means rather than the corps being ran by (for lack of better words) "grown ups" that have no idea what they are doing and what direct consequences their decisions result in, it will be ran by the members that make it up so that all decisions affect their makers. This will also work like a FFA in that it will teach these students the tools of the trade. The treasurer will learn accounting and such. The music and drill officers will learn the basics of music and drill and eventually might write some of the pieces for the show.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Are you serious? I visited your website and found this on your link "About us":

From your webiste: sites.google.com/site/42lightbrigade

WHO WE ARE

We are a new corps starting up in the 2014 season. We plan to at least march SDCA, but I am trying to get approved for DCA, and maybe next year DCI(2014 deadline was early December).

To my knowledge we will be the only active drum and bugle corps in the state of Indiana.

HOW IT WILL WORK

This corps is going to be ran a little differently from most other corps. We will be a student ran organization much like a FFA chapter, we will have officers with specific duties such as; treasurer, reporter, sentinel, music, drill, and more. This means rather than the corps being ran by (for lack of better words) "grown ups" that have no idea what they are doing and what direct consequences their decisions result in, it will be ran by the members that make it up so that all decisions affect their makers. This will also work like a FFA in that it will teach these students the tools of the trade. The treasurer will learn accounting and such. The music and drill officers will learn the basics of music and drill and eventually might write some of the pieces for the show.

I saw that too but refraimed from commenting on it. Its certainly thinking outside the box.

It's interesting Ed... and I certainly agree that their thinking outside the box is a good thing...

but this is a early 60's corps sounding thing... corps then - especially seniors - were often run as democracies... which meant that corps directors changed fairly frequently... the problem is that like evolution, changes occurred for a reason... the problem with their outside the box thinking is that as this period in drum corps hit reality over the next 2 decades and we went from thousands of corps to less than 100, we quickly noticed that the corps that survived were those controlled by strong leaders who were able to use their brains and leadership qualities to overcome changes in society...

The Vince Bruni's and Jim Costello's of the world survived, but hundreds of corps failed...

So in theory, I like their thinking... In reality? I'm skeptical ...

• Like 2

I generally refrain from commenting on spelling or grammar errors on message boards where the participants are engaging in casual conversation (unless the mistake is funny, like Stu's swap of "Linen" for "Lenin" yesterday), but an organization's website ought to be professionally presented: does theirs really have "ran" in place of "run", as in "student ran organization" rather than "student-run organization"?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Very best of luck to you guys but to avoid conflicts with the grammar nazi's around here you might want to consider a more appropriate introduction for your corps.

Good luck!

"Nazis"... used in this case as a plural word... does not contain an apostrophe. :ninja:

• Like 6

So how will you have proper accounting when your treasurer is learning what to do?

Or how will you teach music or drill when they have no experience?

Sign bus contracts or uniform/equipment agreements when you want people to be under 21.

I don't consider myself a full fledge grown-up at 31, but your "grown-ups" will have the life experience for all of this, and I can't imagine there are many successful corps that are running right now that don't take their members into consideration for any decisions they make.

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 2

In theory, you could run a SoundSport team this way. College clubs and activities are completely student run all the time. Where they will fall short, in my opinion, is if they try and take it farther than that. If they are smart, they will at the very least find some knowledgeable consultants to give them real advice.