Best non finalists shows 1990-1999

Same as my best non finalist shows 2000-2013 post, only 90-99

1993 Freelancers

Not necessarily the best, but definitely entertaining.

Edited by ibexpercussion
  • Like 1

90 and 94 Boston

I aged 10 years on the 94 tour... 4 of them between the performance at semi-finals and getting the score.

A few that stick out in my mind -

1993 Freelancers - it seemed like a huge departure for the corps, but the results... The opener and closer are *still* staples of the marching band world, 20 years on, and their drum feature felt like it had everything and the kitchen sink. Wonderful show.

1994 Boston Crusaders - They took their '93 show, tightened the brass up considerably and raised the energy to 11. Russian Easter Overture never gets old, and their version of the Sailors Dance was every bit as good as Santa Clara's.

Honorable mention - 1997 Colts - that was the Blood, Sweat and Tears year, and I remember vividly from RAMD how controversial a switch it was at the time for Colts fans. Lots of discussion about styles and identity. On the field, if the second half of that show could have matched the first, it would have been spectacular. The opener was brilliant, and volume-wise, they were one of the loudest corps I've ever heard. (In a good way.)

Mike

• Like 1

My first response would be 1991 Spirit. Listening to the cassette tapes, that show gets me every time. Probably not the "best" non finalist corps in the 90's but easily my favorite.

And I agree about 1997 Colts. When someone says loud drumcorps, that is the first show that comes to mind. Since they didnt make finals, lots of folks have either forgotten about or simply have never seen the Colts Blood Sweat and Tears show. I would love to hear what Chuck has to say about getting that hornline to play so loud.

Z

I'll go with the 1993 Freeleancers. Maybe not the best but one of my favorites. My next favorite is 1996 Pioneer. Again this probably doesn't answer the question of best but this is one of my favorite shows.

My first response would be 1991 Spirit. Listening to the cassette tapes, that show gets me every time. Probably not the "best" non finalist corps in the 90's but easily my favorite.

And I agree about 1997 Colts. When someone says loud drumcorps, that is the first show that comes to mind. Since they didnt make finals, lots of folks have either forgotten about or simply have never seen the Colts Blood Sweat and Tears show. I would love to hear what Chuck has to say about getting that hornline to play so loud.

Z

oh I forgot 1991 Spirit.

and even though way down in the rankings, 92 Southwind

I'll go with the 1993 Freeleancers. Maybe not the best but one of my favorites. My next favorite is 1996 Pioneer. Again this probably doesn't answer the question of best but this is one of my favorite shows.

'96 Pioneer had serious swagger to them. Was very cool to see them live.

Mike