DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

That's not really "market research" to me as much as it is just polling. You could try and pull qual/quant from it, I guess, but my point is they are two separate things - thought not mutually exclusive at all.

I don't think polling the consumer makes much sense before the consumer has even seen the product. :)

Really confused by this. What type of market research does not involve polling?

Here's the problem: Why not go wholesale, put the entire product in the hands of the consumer for better or worse, let them dictate the rules to the corps and also determine the scores?

Why do we have to go to that extreme? I really believe that THE MAJORITY of CURRENT MONEY PAYING PARTICIPANTS in this activity would rather not see this change. That's CURRENT marching members and fans. What will be really gained by proving them wrong?

Perhaps you think the majority does not feel that way.

Why not find out for sure?

Edited by truman

Here's the problem: Why not go wholesale, put the entire product in the hands of the consumer for better or worse, let them dictate the rules to the corps and also determine the scores?

If the consumer says he'll buy the product as he's defined, what's wrong with providing that to him?

The consumers can decide, it its collective wisdom, to use the same judges as now.

The consumer demands will determine the rules, although they can name them separately.

The problem is defining "consumer" and in collecting their respective desires in a methodology that can satiate all of them while at the same time putting a product on the field.

Pretty tough to do, IMO.

Why do we have to go to that extreme? I really believe that THE MAJORITY of CURRENT MONEY PAYING PARTICIPANTS in this activity would rather not see this change. That's marching members and fans. What will be really gained by proving them wrong?

You haven't been paying attention. Proving them wrong will heighten their arts awareness to the level that they can understand the brilliance of the designer.

Isn't that the goal?

:sarcasm:

• Like 4

You haven't been paying attention. Proving them wrong will heighten their arts awareness to the level that they can understand the brilliance of the designer.

Isn't that the goal?

:sarcasm:

Honestly, I wonder about the sarcasm of that statement on this one. It keeps seeming like that is the only logical answer. We don't ask, cause we don't care.

Edited by truman

That's like saying that you know what to expect at a Broadway show because you went to your daughter's high school rendition of "Anything Goes" last year. The products are very very very different.

But drum corps is marching band. There is very little different.

for the record, he blame Chicago on The Old Man, since he was around for it

:tounge2:

I am now older than "The Old Man" was when I marched in the corps.

Really confused by this. What type of market research does not involve polling?

You're inferring that just polling is enough - I'm saying that it's much more than that, not that it doesn't involve it.

Also, qualitative market research does not involve "polling" in the context of big data. Quantitative does, but on a broader scale than just "do you like this, yes or no" - it's more of a needs assessment for current and potential (and sometimes former) customers.

Again, not the expert, but that's how I understand it.

Why do we have to go to that extreme? I really believe that THE MAJORITY of CURRENT MONEY PAYING PARTICIPANTS in this activity would rather not see this change. That's CURRENT marching members and fans. What will be really gained by proving them wrong?

Perhaps you think the majority does not feel that way.

Why not find out for sure?

And I believe (as you indicate), based on the hundreds of marching members that I have as Facebook fans as former students, that an overwhelming majority support this change. So what? The point is the organizations themselves will make the changes they want to, DCI just hosts the party. 17-3 in two separate votes with two separate sets of individuals is pretty overwhelming, if you ask me. How does DCI say no to that? And with what justification? "Well guys, we've had half a dozen instrumentation changes over the year, but adding the remaining few instruments that belong to the family you all know and love is just one step too far, and we won't allow it!"

If the consumer says he'll buy the product as he's defined, what's wrong with providing that to him?

The consumers can decide, it its collective wisdom, to use the same judges as now.

The consumer demands will determine the rules, although they can name them separately.

The problem is defining "consumer" and in collecting their respective desires in a methodology that can satiate all of them while at the same time putting a product on the field.

Pretty tough to do, IMO.

If the consumer doesn't like the product the organizations want to put on the field, maybe they'll take Jeff's advice and vote with their wallet - something they are more than welcome to do. But my guess is it won't be a significant amount of people that elect to give up spending family time in the stands with old drum corps buddies over the slide trombone.

hmmm...crickets?

Some of us have ~lives~ on Friday night! :)