DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Probably not as much if you are OK with it passing

im talking about what 3...............just curiosity I suppose........why wouldnt it pass if there are all but 3 that want it..and did they actually say no or just not say yes..lol......certain corps are know for playing all sides of the fence...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

You're assuming that people are stupid. There isn't exactly any way you can spin "any brass" and not have it mean anything other than "any brass". Plus, JD Shaw has a quote in the article saying:

If I were to put a trombone solo on the field and the audience hated it, I would change it. However, if I were able to make the audience love that moment, then we've created something new and exciting.

So it seems pretty obvious by that statement that trombones would be something that could now be used under the new rule. The article really makes no distractions from stating what the rule actually allows while also informing the readers about some facts about this years attendance and profit numbers. If people don't understand what the term "any brass" means they can look up what a brass instrument is on Wikipedia.

Plus any qualms with how the article is written should be taken to Michael Boo here on DCP. He did after all write it!

Fair enough - I missed the JD Shaw quote. However, I still think DCI let some of the dust settle before releasing the article (it did come out a fair amount of time after the news first broke), and chose their words carefully (a.k.a. spin).

That and Mike Boo didn't write the article (I checked before I posted) - Chris Weber did.

I would look it up but there is no need. Randy (skajerk) is a trustworthy source. Thanks for doing that research- it confirms the accuracy of " overwhelming" which is subjective, but 85 percent is overwhelming in my book. He also posted who voted no-implying who voted yes. The rule change and who voted yes are both disappointing to me. However, the opinion of 20 directors should be taken with a grain of salt the same way you take a number from a group of guys in green shirts... I firmly disagree and am confident that my rejection of French horns, sousaphones et al is widely supported and agreed with, possibly with an overall majority counting all performers past, present and fans. Or not. This is a sensitive subject and I respect everyone who posted here so far, this seems like a thread that would normally devolve into personal attacks and the mods would lock it up tight. Instead I read intelligent, competent discussion. Rare on the Internet, but that's because we share common ground. Most drum corps people are expert musicians, highly educated, outgoing and open minded. We are opinionated and egotistical, but not judgmental. We are thinkers. I think this rule change sucks. I read a great point, in 2000, not being able to sell 66 horns and having to locate cash for 66 new ones probably hurt several corps... (a matched set from Kanstul is 50k? maybe 70k now?) At the end of the day, Im deeply nostalgic about drum corps from the 80s and 90s, I still listen to at least one of those shows everyday. Last night I was all about 96 Cadets, BD and PR 96 are on my all time favorite list. I'm full bore conservative about this: change is bad. The last time I saw a live show that i honestly felt was bad ### and quickly added to my playlist was 2004 Cavaliers... Don't even really like 007 music that much, but they MADE it cool... It rocked and even made me a feel better about Bb... That was the last time I felt it. Really felt it, I can't put it into words you know what IT is. It's something magical that just seems to be drifting, in flux, Im just hoping IT comes back. I've seen great shows since then, amazing shows... I even confess that even though I took a beating for not liking 2013 Crown as much as everyone else... It grew on me. I love to see a corps come up like that over time and get rings... But you won't find it on my iPod, or any show from the last decade. Something has been missing from drum corps for a long time. I wish I had the words to explain.

Since one DCI music designer's thoughts were posted on the rule change, here's another's:

Shane Gwaltney

February 9

"Hopefully new rules will make things interesting in a dated, dying activity. The only constant should be change."

Thoughts?

Sound like this particualr music designer doesn't love drum corps anymore. They should hit the bricks and move on....I am sure there are others who love the drum corps activity who can take there spot. I am just supporting their idea that the only constant should be be change....so let's make a change by bidding you farewell.....music designer....

• Like 2

Amplification of voices is now used extensively in contemporary orchestral music...perhaps most notably in the music of John Adams.

I would like to respond Mike and really don't want to be snarky but......where are the throngs of people storming their way in to contemporary orchestral music concerts? Are tickets going for 500 + on stubbhub. Last I heard was the contemporary orchestral music activity was on life support.......

:)

• Like 1

I would like to respond Mike and really don't want to be snarky but......where are the throngs of people storming their way in to contemporary orchestral music concerts? Are tickets going for 500 + on stubbhub. Last I heard was the contemporary orchestral music activity was on life support.......

That happened long before contemporary orchestral music.

Sound like this particualr music designer doesn't love drum corps anymore. They should hit the bricks and move on....I am sure there are others who love the drum corps activity who can take there spot. I am just supporting their idea that the only constant should be be change....so let's make a change by bidding you farewell.....music designer....

Either that, or he is saying that the activity has been dated, and dying, and this might breath some creative life.

• Like 1

Either that, or he is saying that the activity has been dated, and dying, and this might breath some creative life.

Doing more with less is more creative....IMO

Edited by Triple Forte

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2004/jun/04/classicalmusicandopera