DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Fair enough - I missed the JD Shaw quote. However, I still think DCI let some of the dust settle before releasing the article (it did come out a fair amount of time after the news first broke), and chose their words carefully (a.k.a. spin).

That and Mike Boo didn't write the article (I checked before I posted) - Chris Weber did.

That is correct. I only contributed the part about Open Class.

Plus any qualms with how the article is written should be taken to Michael Boo here on DCP. He did after all write it!

Please note that I only contributed the section about Open Class.

To clarify, I don't blame George... I actually respect him a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the after show parties he used to throw. I use the expression "Hoppy" more as a symbol of changes that I dislike. Bb, amps, narration... And future changes Im in pure fear of. I haven't posted to DCP in years, but this is extremely important. I freely admit I can't prove that Bb, narration, etc was HIS idea, All I know is the word on the street... For almost 15 years now, the word is that George spearheaded most of these changes... I would point to the narration from their 2007 show- that corps was awesome, the Hornline sounded like a church organ, but the words don't lie... The idea was and IS to make drum corps more accessible and "approachable" to band kids... At the end of the day, that's to pry open wallets, tickets cost a fortune I've never seen or performed at show that wasn't PACKED... If DCI, DCA, or any corps is light on money, there are a zillion ways for world class, non profit, youth organizations to chase that paper without morphing into a lower class activity. I foresee a brief bump in ticket sales, maybe 10 extra shows and more sponsors for a few years.... Then drum corps will be just a host of honor bands that practice extra hard. It won't be unique, it won't be cool or special or amazing... Once a show becomes just a series of decent halftime shows, drum corps will be dead-the fans, the fun, the magic and to those who care-the money will disappear right along with it. I don't care if the change has been approved... When I see an idea floated that could threaten the activity... Ill put that threat on blast and call it out for the BS that it is. Call me conservative, When it comes to drum corps, I reject, avoid and protest change. The only changes that ever helped were- the low mark time, having the pit stand still, switching to valves from piston-rotor, adding a 3rd valve and streamlining middle horns by making them ALL mellos, oh yeah, asymmetrical drill too. I see zero changes for the better this millennium. To sum, for live music; would you spend $100 to see ...93 Star? 95 Madison? 96 PR or BD? 87 Vanguard? Or whatever the 2014 championship show will be? Did VK, The Bridgemen or Big 27 ever seem weak, or lame, or flat to you? Or did they set the stands on fire ? (ok that's rhetorical).

I hope that you see a show this summer that was designed and built: FOR YOU! Not for a judge, a sponsor, or some anonymous HS clarinet player... and certainly not for a number. Rant complete... I need a drink.

This is one of the best posts ever made on this here message board. Thank you.

Edited by FlamMan

How many corps were DCI members in 1975? There were lots of local corps that did a DCI show or two on occasion, but how many were actually DCI member corps in 1975?

If a drum corps does not count unless they were a DCI member corps, then how would marching bands be relevant?

His perfectly valid point is that more kids are marching/competing today than ever did in 1975; it is not even close.

And my point is that DCI does not serve marching bands, and thus is actually serving less kids; it is not even close.

Please note that I only contributed the section about Open Class.

There you go again, Mr. Boo. Giving facts when people want to spout off about fiction. When will you learn.

• Like 1

If a drum corps does not count unless they were a DCI member corps, then how would marching bands be relevant?

And my point is that DCI does not serve marching bands, and thus is actually serving less kids; it is not even close.

But I thought that the activity was marching bands now, with the new brass rule and all. I mean, it was OBVIOUSLY still drum and bugle corps with Bb, 3 valves, electronics, etc.

The fact is there are more corps out there that don't participate necessarily on the DCI circuit, and people forget to count them so they can say the activity is dead. Do a little research on google.com, and you'll find that. Of course, someone will tell me I'm wrong, but the activity has really taken off out of the USA, and well, since USA may be 23rd in education in the world, of westernized countries of course, we are number 1 in how we view ourselves, not only in education, but in everything.

What baffles me is where people look for ways to say the activity is not serving as many kids. They don't take the number of kids marching in total and check that with the number of kids that marched, let's say in 1999.

My point is, if the Blue Devils now have 150 members, but in 1999 they had 128 members, and the Joliet Kingsmen had 17(which they did). That makes 5 less members between 2 seperate corps in 1999, but since most people want to say that less corps means less kids, and forget about Division 2 and 3 back then, when Division 1 had smaller memberships, it's not really a valid point.

Furtermore, are kids not being served by the activity when they attend shows, or attend clinics, or camps, even if they got cut. I have many students that have gone to these types of events, not given a marching spot, but still have gained from the activity.

But I digress, the activity must be dead. Curse you "any brass" rule.

Beginning this year, Trombones, French horns and other brass instruments may now be used without any penalty or hesitation.

Add it all as part of the pit.

Add it all as part of the pit.

Yes, and don't forget the laser lights, fog machines and fireworks. And put a curtain behind the pit so the audience isn't distracted by all the people walking around. And tell those people to quit making so much noise, sometimes I can't even hear the pit.

That's it for me. If I want to see marching bands, I'll go to BOA. And please, don't call it drum corps anymore; why does this name still hang around? So much for being unique, but that's society today.

Bob Blomberg