Where is DCI headed?

No. When posters state their opinions that they don't like what has become of drum corps, you belittle them personally with comments such as - you just want it to be like it was when you marched. Instead of, for example, stating why you love the changes. Personal attacks versus debating the subject. I think the subject should be debated. I share guilt in this retort style too. I'm trying to be better.

I admire both your admission and your efforts.

You're close. Of the 22 World Class corps competing in 2007, the two no longer in existence are Glassmen and Southwind. The latter last competed that year, which means that In 2008, since as you note Cascades took a year off, there were only 20 World Class corps at championships. 2009 was the year that Jersey Surf moved to World Class, to be joined by the returning Cascades, so there were 22 corps again. It was in 2010 that Teal Sound moved up, so that there were 23 World Class corps; 2011 had the same lineup. Teal Sound folded halfway through the 2012 season, so championships saw 22 World Class corps. Glassmen were gone in 2013, but Oregon Crusaders moved up that year, so again W.C. had 22 corps, which is how many are expected in 2014. As noted in a recent discussion on the Open Class forum, no other O.C. corps seems ready to move to W.C. in the near future, so we should see 22 World Class corps in 2015 as well--let's hope there are no further disasters!

I had forgotten about Southwind, I thought they had folded the year prior. Hopefully no one else folds for a few years, and Open Class corps continue to grow. I think a couple of corps are coming to Finals week that are new in OC this year, but I'm not 100% sure.

Most of those rules were created and implemented before the January meeting. By this point, shows are written, and lines are pretty well set. Would be very difficult for a corps to re-do shows or instrumentation at this point in winter camps.

Not that it's important, but you very well know that there are a TON of trombone players who switch to Baritone for corps. It would be trivial to change them back to their native instrument.

Just saying that isn't a great point.

Not that it's important, but you very well know that there are a TON of trombone players who switch to Baritone for corps. It would be trivial to change them back to their native instrument.

Just saying that isn't a great point.

I know tons do. That's what I did to march. But it would require a corps getting a matching set of trombones, and switching out some of the already purchased baritones to have a section of trombones. And re-write some parts of the music if they want to integrate the trombones. That was my point, form the corps' perspective. I know the members could easily switch back in a few minutes.

I know tons do. That's what I did to march. But it would require a corps getting a matching set of trombones, and switching out some of the already purchased baritones to have a section of trombones. And re-write some parts of the music if they want to integrate the trombones. That was my point, form the corps' perspective. I know the members could easily switch back in a few minutes.

Those are minimal changes. Desginers are making changes and tweaking parts all of the time. No biggie.

Biggest challenge would be the drill, which is probably being written now and won't be done for a good long while.

I'm sure there are corps who can spring for matching bones, especially if they're sponsored by a instrument maker.

Adding bones is really easy.

Saying the designers design to placate the judges almost makes them sound like victims. They are not. Let's not forget who put forward the rules that drove the design of the rule sheets. They are getting exactly what they wanted.

It can also be slanted/twisted to make them sound evil or something. DCI is a competitive activity where the end goal is to achieve a competitive goal, be it win DCI, make Finals, improve on year before, etc. While it is also an educational experience, it is one that is competition driven. So a designer who does not design a program in order to achieve a desired competitive goal fails at their job. The designer who designs to the sheets AND designs the crowd favorite is the ultimate hero; but again, DCI = competition, designing to max out the criteria on sheets, etc.

• Like 1

Hopefully, no one else folds for a few years, and Open Class corps continue to grow. I think a couple corps are coming to Finals week that are new in O.C. this year, but I'm not 100% sure.

You are correct, at least according to DCI's schedule at the moment. Every corps that was at last year's Open Class Prelims is returning,* to be supplemented by Coastal Surge, who had their first season in 2013, and Thunder, who haven't traveled to championships since 2008. (*Every corps except the overseas participant, Yuehfu (from Taipei, Taiwan), but this year it appears that DCI will be visited by North Eastern Technology (from Khon Kaen, Thailand)).

However, comparing 2014 to 2007 for Open Class, as we did with the World Class corps, shows that things took a turn for the worse in the interim and only now are slowly recovering. It's a bit trickier counting Open Class corps because, unlike in World Class, there are O.C. corps that don't go to championships, but I'm using that as my marker on the grounds that it shows how many corps are strong enough to make that commitment:

In 2007, there were 21 North American corps plus Yokohama Scouts at Div. II/III Prelims (fewer than the previous year, when the total was 28: California was probably too far for some Eastern corps to travel, although some West Coast corps were able to make a rare appearance).

In 2008, the count at the newly-renamed Open Class Prelims actually went up, as 21 North American corps were joined by Beatrix and Strangnas. While five corps from 2007 didn't appear in 2008 (Fever, Gold, HYPE, Mystikal, and unsurprisingly, Blue Devils C), five others took their place (Colt Cadets, Legends, 7th Regiment, Les Stentors, and the trans-Pacific corps, Yamato).

In 2009, the numbers began to shrink. Probably the economy played into O.C. Prelims featuring only 19 North American corps and none from overseas. Jersey Surf moved to World Class, while four corps (Impulse, Spartans, Thunder, and Yamato) did not appear. On the upside, three corps absent in 2008 were present (Blue Saints, Capital Regiment, and Music City).

In 2010, a further reduction: just 15 North American corps plus Strangnas at O.C. Prelims. The missing included four corps who have either folded or at least gone very dark (Citations, Dutch Boy, Memphis Sound, and Spirit of Newark), one who apparently was saving their funds for a year (Vanguard Cadets), and one who moved to World Class (Teal Sound). On the other hand, there were two corps new to championships (Forte and Genesis) and one returning (Spartans).

In 2011, the status quo was maintained, sort of: 15 North American corps plus Jubal and Yokohama Scouts. One corps went permanently missing (Velvet Knights) while another returned (Vanguard Cadets). CorpsReps actually lists one more corps at Prelims that year, albeit scoreless: that contest was rained out and the corps in question did not appear at Finals the next night, so I think it's a mistake (the corps is the short-lived Platinum, who were scored at a few shows in 2010).

In 2012, the smallest O.C. prelims to that date: 14 North American corps and none from abroad. One corps folded midseason (Forte), another took most of the year off after appearing in just a couple shows (Racine Scouts), while one returned after a long period of not traveling (Gold).

In 2013, an even smaller O.C. prelims, with just 13 North American corps and Yuehfu. The previous season's champ moved to World Class (Oregon Crusaders), and one corps shut down (Revolution), but another made a return appearance (Racine Scouts).

So there are 16 corps expected this year. It would have been 17 if Tampa Bay Thunder hadn't shut down last month. And remember that Music City did briefly close last fall.

Wasn't a personal attack in the slightest. He said that if DCI wanted to wow him, it should bring back old-school drum corps. He said it would be a new development. My response was that it wouldn't be a new development at all, but going into the past. Which wouldn't be advancing or new at all.

Having an "old school" show in 2014 would be a departure from the status quo, and would seem very new, especially to the younger fans. Also, who cares if it's "advancing?" I only care if it's good. Like most fans, I determine "good" by an arbitrary set of personal criteria. Other fans have different ideas of what "good" is. My point was that DCI shows have been losing me recently. That is all.

Edited by mikespeed