Where is DCI headed?

I've been off this forum for probably around a year, and checked back in out of boredom to see this is the #1 thread.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks this way! I want to love you, DCI, but if you want my money again, I'm going to need to see some new developments. By "new developments," I mean loud, fast, in-your-face, narration-free, good ol' fashioned drum and bugle corps.

I've been off this forum for probably around a year, and checked back in out of boredom to see this is the #1 thread.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks this way! I want to love you, DCI, but if you want my money again, I'm going to need to see some new developments. By "new developments," I mean loud, fast, in-your-face, narration-free, good ol' fashioned drum and bugle corps.

So, not new in the slightest. Old developments is what you want. Just the way it was in your favorite era

• Like 2

So, not new in the slightest. Old developments is what you want. Just the way it was in your favorite era

Remember mikespeed, if you don't like the morphing of dci into summer band, it's your fault.

Edited by HockeyDad

Remember mikespeed, if you don't like the morphing of dci into summer band, it's your fault.

Not at all. But bringing it back to old school drum corps would not be a new development, but sending things into the past. Which is where a lot of that stuff belongs.

• Like 1

Not at all. But bringing it back to old school drum corps would not be a new development, but sending things into the past. Which is where a lot of that stuff belongs.

I disagree.

Seems to me that introducing something old would be quite new in today's drum corps.

Might be quite surprised at the reception it got.

No need to walk back your comment. Your dismissive remark about everybody wanting it the way it was when they marched was very clear.

This is 100% true: not right, not wrong, just true. If you don't like a given entertainment product it's your "fault" for having different tastes than what said designers are offering.

I don't really like drum corps from before the mid-80s (wish some exceptions). The shows were slow paced, often with crass & bright characteristic brass tone, and often put together in a way that seems flat-out schizophrenic as far as a 15 minute program that doesn't seamlessly flow and instead feels like "a bunch of songs the staff liked." Again, there are of course exceptions. But most of those older shows don't do much for me other than a, "yeah that Championship level show is pretty good" or "that was a cool drum lick at least."

But that's not the fault of 70s designers, it's my fault for having different tastes as they did.

While drum corps is obviously meant to appeal to a stadium full of fans, the shows are designed to max out criteria on judging sheets. Of course designers will design a show to placate judges. If the activity were one of "must 100% entertain," such as Blast!, then things would probably be different. But yeah, if you don't like the direction of DCI show designs it is on you as Blue Devils, for example, don't call you personally to get your input: they design to win DCI & assume their fans will at least appreciate their design styles.

• Like 3

No need to walk back your comment. Your dismissive remark about everybody wanting it the way it was when they marched was very clear.

Yes, the fact that your enjoyment of the activity is solely based on you. I try and be very clear about that. If the kids didn't like the direction DCI was going in, they wouldn't audition. But they keep showing up in droves. But there are myriad people on here that claim their era was the best one, and anything that's not exactly like that is terrible and an affront to their experience. Someone wanting to roll back the clock on DCI is their personal opinion, but would not be a "new development" as was originally stated.