well it didnt take very long...

Wow did you take me at the absolute, strictest literal translation when I said "old and tired?"

I apologize if my disdain was not super clear. My categorization was meant not against old people who maybe didn't get enough sleep: it was instead a euphemism directed a the tired, old notion that "OH MY GOD DRUM CORPS IS DEAD/THE SKY IS FALLING AGGGHHHHH" attached to an internet meme that ceased to be funny around the time Obama began running for his second term.

Rereading this reply, I'm confounded that you and others didn't pick up on that euphemism, and instead turned it into some sort of bizarro "age discrimination" rant. Just...wow.

I guess I used "tired and old" as a nicer way of saying "stupid bull ####" or something equally blunt.

You responded to the " Grandpa " comment made above in a pretty clear and unmistakable manner that leaves no other conclusion than that you were responding in total agreement with another age discrimination poster, called " rcontra " above who initially injected the" Grandpa ", phrase into the thread here. You and the other poster here clearly did not comment above on " tired and old notions " that someone, irrespective of age, might harbor that does not square with your opinions. My response to that age discrimination comment was not in a " rant " form either, imo. It was delivered in an unemotional manner that characterized your age discrimination tone you took in your reply above to the poster recontra who initially brought up the " Grandpa " inference ( which once again, we have no evidence at all that a person old enough to be a " Grandpa " created this Meme highlighted on this thread).

Edited by BRASSO

You heard complaints in 1971 with the themed shows of the Scouts, Cavies, Cadets and St Rita's...you heard LOTS of complaints when Bayonne came out in 1976 in the banana unis...there have always been complainers. Funny that some of those who marched then and were part of history are now complaining about changes being made today.

yep yep yep......................selective memory..................but of course we can all justify............and do......lol....like Ive said this is far from a new argument

• Like 2

You heard complaints in 1971 with the themed shows of the Scouts, Cavies, Cadets and St Rita's...you heard LOTS of complaints when Bayonne came out in 1976 in the banana unis...there have always been complainers. Funny that some of those who marched then and were part of history are now complaining about changes being made today.

Are you complaining here that the 5,000 petitioners that sighed the petition in 24 hours voicing their displeasure with this new rule, should be discredited for voicing their opinion, because it is your belief that " some of who marched back then " ? Is your clear distain that you are expessing here for the thousands of" complainers " that are voicing their opinion, considered less worthy because they marched in an era 35 years ago where there were some " complainers " present then ? In other words, noone should complain about something today they may not like, if they might have been the recipients themselves of complaints 30-40 years ago ? Only those free of the receipt of complaints in the past, should voice their displeaasure ? Is that what the standards are for you ? Just trying to determine where YOUR complaints are coming from with the thousands that signed this petition, ( and many others not on the petition but are displeased with this rule change ) thats all.

Edited by BRASSO

Are you complaining here that the 5,000 petitioners that sighed the petition in 24 hours voicing their displeasure with this new rule, should be discredited for voicing their opinion, because it is your belief that " some of who marched back then " ? Is your clear distain that you are expessing here for the thousands of" complainers " that are voicing their opinion, considered less worthy because they marched in an era 35 years ago where there were some " complainers " present then ? In other words, noone should complain about something today they may not like, if they might have been the recipients themselves of complaints 30-40 years ago ? Only those free of the receipt of complaints in the past, should voice their displeaasure ? Is that what the standards are for you ? Just trying to determine where your complaints are coming from with the thousands that signed this petition, thats all.

just a side note.................the funny thing is ..............if the internet exsisted 40 years ago.....the outcry of discontent with the activity, yes the same activity and era that so many cling to as the pure drum corps period....this would seem mild compared to what would have happened back then.

• Like 1

Old shtick....sure. But in just another take....

How many of us have been pulled into the bosses' office and had this exact scenario played out...for sure not drum corps...a product launch...manufacturing hitch. That is why we laugh...we have been there. That is why this is still funny "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE FLANGE ISN'T READY!!!!!!! ALL OF YOU SHOULD DIEEEE!!!"

Yep this one is about the latest change (and lord I hope it is an effective change for the betterment of the activity we all love so much). But for the video...makes many subjects humorous. Just waiting for woodwinds to pass....that one will be "spit-take" worthy.

just a side note.................the funny thing is ..............if the internet exsisted 40 years ago.....the outcry of discontent with the activity, yes the same activity and era that so many cling to as the pure drum corps period....this would seem mild compared to what would have happened back then.

Of course. There were probably more complainers in Drum Corps in earlier eras thats why..... as well as many more satisfied fans of yesteryears Corps too than today. Thats easy for all of us to understand it seems to me, even if some of us here might be new arrivals to the activity. This is understandable because there were more fans in general of Drum Corps in earlier eras, and many more familiar with this activity. So in essence there were both more " complainers " as MikeD has alluded to here, as well as lots and lots of satisfied fans too BITD,.... but who have left for one reason or another. I might add its one thing to complain, but still come out to the shows, but another thing entirely to complain and then say thats it, and leave for good. If the latter are too stark in numbers in the coming years, it really won't matter what is proposed and adopted to be put out out on the field, as these costly units won't be able to put anything at all out on the field.

Edited by BRASSO

Exactly. We know the ages of the judges, the show designers, and the ages of the people that proposed ( and voted on ) this new rule re. instrumentation. These are verifiable. We have no knowledge however if the Meme here was created by someone that has Grandchildren as is being alleged above here on this thread ( ie " Grandpa "). Nobody... repeat NOBODY... knows the age, gender, etc of the person that created this Meme. But this hasn't stopped some on here from showing their true colors of hostile age discrimination traits with their dislike and distain for the older fanbase population in Drum Corps... many whom have financially supported, and volunteer supported, this activity for years and years. But there is Freedom of Speech, and people with obvious age discrimination traits are free to take age related potshots in public at people much older than themselves too. I support diversity of opinion, and so its cool and all to allow wide ranges of opinions to take place openly and freely... and for us to draw our own sense of things too.

It's not age-discrimination. It's making fun of behind-the-times people for using ancient, beaten-to-death internet memes as though they're remotely fresh and/or funny the way someone would look at a person who thinks Yakov Smirnoff's "what a country" punchline is still funny in 2014. The heart monitor on either of those flatlines ages ago, and good riddance.

Of course. There were probably more complainers in Drum Corps in earlier eras thats why..... as well as many more satisfied fans of yesteryears Corps too than today. Thats easy for all of us to understand it seems to me, even if some of us here might be new arrivals to the activity. This is understandable because there were more fans in general of Drum Corps in earlier eras, and many more familiar with this activity. So in essence there were both more " complainers " as MikeD has alluded to here, as well as lots and lots of satisfied fans too BITD,.... but who have left for one reason or another. I might add its one thing to complain, but still come out to the shows, but another thing entirely to complain and then say thats it, and leave for good. If the latter are too stark in numbers in the coming years, it really won't matter what is proposed and adopted to be put out out on the field, as these costly units won't be able to put anything at all out on the field.

far more left the activity BITD when DCI was formed as well as corps who fell apart....my point was that if a public forum was available back then you would have heard just as much moaning as you do now..or more...making all this an old story............very old

It's not age-discrimination. It's making fun of behind-the-times people for using ancient, beaten-to-death internet memes as though they're remotely fresh and/or funny the way someone would look at a person who thinks Yakov Smirnoff's "what a country" punchline is still funny in 2014. The heart monitor on either of those flatlines ages ago, and good riddance.

You, nor I , have no knowledge if this MEME creator was a " Grandpa ". And not all Drum Corps aged " Grandpa" think alike. We even had a poster on here yesterday that is a FMM of a current DCI Corps expressing displeasure with this new ruling. We also had a current band director of indeterminable age expressing his displeasure. For all you and I know this MEME might have been put together by a kid. Not all Drum Corps aged " Grandpa's " know how to put together these MEME's and hen post them like this. More kids know how to do this than most " Grandpa's ". The notion that all the young people marching in Drum Corps or those fans. alums under age say 45 or so, like to see trombones, sousaphones, etc out on the Drum Corps field has not been established yet at all,... nobody frankly has asked them... nor does anybody know the the age demographic breakdown ( not that it should really matter ) with the 5,000 people that signed the petition in one 24 hour period. YOU chose to inject the age component into this thread on the MEME however..... thats just a fact. Which is ok, as diversity of opinion is to be celebrated, not stifled, imo.. But its also worth pointing out that this MEME has little to nothing at all to do with the Drum Corps " Grandpa's " ( or of similar age ) that might be in our midst..... . unless we are prepared to discuss the ages of the judges as a counterbalance to this allleged " old and tired thinking " when more than a couple of the current DCI judges during Championships Week are now old enough now to be a Great, Great Grandfathers, and Great, Great Grandmothers.. How is THEIR thinking ? Is it " old " ? Is it " tired " ? How is THEIR hearing ? How is THEIR vision ? Do you want to discuss age related issues here in this judging realm, and the Corps Director, Corps Show designer realm ? or just limit the" old and tired " tag to just these old and tired " Grandpa "fans you are sensing in our midst ?

Edited by BRASSO

So Hitler says that no one wants to hear saxophones in a drum corps show.

Is he right?