Members have changed so why not the activity

Tupac

Yes or No:

Is DCI a competition, or activity, which needs the participants to exert physical effort and skill according to rules?

Is DCI an activity requiring skill or physical prowess and competitive in nature?

Is DCI an activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion when done in a competitive manner, requiring more or less vigorous bodily exertion and carried on according to some traditional form or set of rules.

Is DCI an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment?

I don't know. How does Merriam-Webster, Oxford, Cambridge, et al, define drum corps? That's all the really matters anyway. :tounge2:

If you're on Windows and probably on Mac:

Press and hold 'Alt' type 0233 = é

Release 'Alt' key. Pain in the rear, but looks pretty...

You can look up the keystroke codes in Character Map in Windows. Character map can be opened via the command line or Run Command dialog using the 'charmap' command.

So this is the key to DCI judging, huh? :>)

• Like 1

I don't know. How does Merriam-Webster, Oxford, Cambridge, et al, define drum corps? That's all the really matters anyway. :tounge2:

Again flawed reasoning; you cannot specifically show via those same dictionaries that drum corps is an 'Art' either. However, by reading and understanding the dictionary definitions of the word 'Art' one can reasonably and logically conclude that drum corps is an Art; and by reading and understanding the definitions of the word 'Sport' one can also reasonably and logically conclude that drum corps is a Sport. :cool:

Edited by Stu

Then by all means, it's only a matter of time before the whole world comes to accept what is clearly obvious and they'll all be calling drum corps a sport.

In all seriousness, it's clear that you're not going to change how I feel about this and I'm not going to change how you feel. More to the point, no matter what any dictionary says, neither you nor I nor anyone here will able to convince the greater population (other than those who have any idea what the drum corps activity is) that it's a sport. I'm OK with that. You seem to be really bothered by it. But hey, if it makes you sleep better at night calling it a sport, go for it. I'll even join you. Drum corps is a sport. Hooray! (even though it's really not...)

By the way, how does Merriam-Webster, Oxford, Cambridge, et al, define "drum corps?" Do they call it as a sport? Somehow I don't think you'll even find "drum corps" defined in any of those books or online. Wait a minute. That must mean............DRUM CORPS DOESN'T EXIST!!! :tounge2:

When someone needs to go to the dictionary definition to make their argument, they know they've already lost the argument.

I stand by my original assertion -- every DCI sports analogy made on DCP so far has been swiftly debunked.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

When someone needs to go to the dictionary definition to make their argument, they know they've already lost the argument.

Where else do you propose we seek definitions of words in which there is disagreement of interpretation; the wall of a bathroom stall?

Edited by Stu

Where else do you propose we seek definitions of words in which there is disagreement of interpretation; the wall of a bathroom stall?

As far as I can tell, there was no disagreement about the definition of a sport. So there's no need for me to propose such a source.

In nearly every case the use of the dictionary definition is simply an attempt to re-cast an argument that's been lost using reason.

Edited by corpsband

I stand by my original assertion -- every DCI sports analogy made on DCP so far has been swiftly debunked.

DCI is a subjectively judged athletic competition; Olympic Ice Dancing is also a subjectively judged athletic competition. While there are some differences, both have contestants engaging in a physically demanding activity adjudicated by a panel of qualified personnel who give out scores and rankings based on specific judging sheet criteria. Please, by all means, attempt to debunk that sports analogy.

DCI is a subjectively judged athletic competition; Olympic Ice Dancing is also a subjectively judged athletic competition. While there are some differences, both have contestants engaging in a physically demanding activity adjudicated by a panel of qualified personnel who give out scores and rankings based on specific judging sheet criteria. Please, by all means, attempt to debunk that sports analogy.

Easy -- you haven't made any analogy at all. Just a simple comparison.

Now *I* win the internetz!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1