Members have changed so why not the activity

Tupac

I would be more willing to buy that argument if there were any sports out there which delved into the realm of live music performance as one of the essential foundations of its reason for existence. That element alone, to me, separates the hybrid nature of what we're talking about and places it a lot more firmly into the "not a sport" area. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's the thing that makes it BETTER than just a sport.

Sorry, but that is a rather fallacious position. The same fallacy would occur if you made the following statement: "I would be more willing to buy the argument that the marching ‘arts’ activity is an art form only if there were other arts out there which delved into the realm of live marching as one of the essential foundations of its reason for their existence as art. That element alone, to me, separates the hybrid nature of what we're talking about and places it a lot more firmly into the 'not an art' area."

For accuracy I have spent time looking up definitions of the word Sport on Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Cambridge Dictionary, The Free Dictionary, Oxford Dictionary, etc.. And every entry, every permutation, contradicts your contention. Sport, according to all of these definitions, can range from being a scored athletic event, either subjectively scored or objectively scored, which is regulated by rules (such as Figure Skating, Football, Cheerleading, Baseball) to being a leisure activity (such as a Sports-Fisherman who catches and releases fish); just sayin.

But art sometimes delves into the realm of competition. And if that art competition, whether subjectively scored or not, contains a form of athleticism, especially with the high form of competitive athleticism found within DCI, it by all definitions, again by all definitions thus becomes, wait for it., a Sport!!! Or are you going to argue with Merriam-Webster, Cambridge, Oxford, et al?

According to that what wouldn't be considered a sport?

The tv show wipeout would be a sport. Judged fashion competitions would be a sport. Dancing would be considered a sport. Speed eating we know is a sport apparently. So really what your saying is the definition of sports is completely meaningless.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Sorry, but that is a rather fallacious position. The same fallacy would occur if you made the following statement: "I would be more willing to buy the argument that the marching arts activity is an art form only if there were other arts out there which delved into the realm of live marching as one of the essential foundations of its reason for their existence as art. That element alone, to me, separates the hybrid nature of what we're talking about and places it a lot more firmly into the 'not an art' area."

And apparently everything is "Art" aswell... But we already knew that!

Sorry, but that is a rather fallacious position.

Nope. There is no sport in the world (that I know of anyway) that requires its athletes to perform live music while competing. There is an existing paradigm of athletes interpreting pre-recorded music, but that requires no actual demonstration of the ability to perform music. And yes, the demonstration of that ability does make a difference.

As for definitions, you brought up the term "art form." That could describe a great many things, including many widely accepted sports (or elements of sport), and including drum corps I guess. I referred to drum corps as a hybrid sort of thing because I really don't know how to classify it exactly. I certainly don't consider it a sport (because it's NOT), but I don't know that I consider it art either, as there is more going on that just musical performance. It is its own thing, and that's perfectly fine. It occupies several spheres in the Venn Diagram of competitive activities. There's room for athleticism. Room for musicality. Room for artistic expression. Room for competition. Better, in my opinion, than just sport, or just art.

Edited by seen-it-all

Good Golly; yes, someone agreeing with me is rather Maddening to say the least! :w00t:

Touché!

Nope. There is no sport in the world (that I know of anyway) that requires its athletes to perform live music while competing. There is an existing paradigm of athletes interpreting pre-recorded music, but that requires no actual demonstration of the ability to perform music. And yes, the demonstration of that ability does make a difference.

Just want to point out that in DCI, the guard isn't performing live music while they're competing.

Welcome to the brave new world where 'Perception is Reality based on Narcissism'. So, in the world of today I am supposed to define words based on what ‘I’ want them to mean? Well then, Dictionaries… throw them in the fire!!! Teaching syntax and language skills to the youth only limits their creativity!!! With that in mind here is a tribute to those who maintain words do not need to have common meaning and common definition: “Me mama dogface banana patch! Yellow four touch fluffy be bookcase! Television!!!!”

+1 :worthy: