Most difficult shows

What shows do you all think stood out as the most difficult shows in dci history?

Visually, I'd go with Cavaliers 2001 and 2003, as well as the one show each Myron Rosander wrote for Madison and Blue Stars (08 and 12 respectively, though I might be wrong on those years...). Those shows are why hand-written drill probably shouldn't exist in the top 12. lol Bluecoats 2004 looked pretty physically ridiculous even if the overall vis effect didn't always match up to how much running the kids were doing. Gotta be a few Cadet shows that are up there, too, but it's tough to really pick one. You could make a solid argument that when Cadets rocked the ultra-straight leg that the technique artificially made a number of their shows quite a bit more physically demanding than what they would normally be under different conditions. Tough to pull that off at high tempos. Crown 09 could also probably be somewhere in the vicinity of this discussion.

Musically, Crown 2013 is at the top of the heap by itself. Tough to really figure out after that.

Id definetely agree with you on all those. A visually challenging show that many people seem to overlook was jersey surf 2011. It had some of the most difficult looking follow the leader sets I've ever seen but because they were very very small that year and got 25th there not as known for it as a finalist would be. Musically, id say that crown 2013 was the most challenging. Lol there were more notes in that show than people in the world

You could make a solid argument that when Cadets rocked the ultra-straight leg that the technique artificially made a number of their shows quite a bit more physically demanding than what they would normally be under different conditions. Tough to pull that off at high tempos.

Ugh... so right... I remember one of the last sets in 05... I just wasn't making my spot, over and over, so I thought "okay... I'll bend my knees and I'll make it"...

NOOOOO!

So I just kept straight legging it till I got it... took a while :-)

Without taking anything away from anything more recent, I think you could make a convincing case for Star 91 as one of if not the most difficult horn books ever.

• Like 3

709, that's right lol. Watching that show made me wonder how much talent those members gained over the summer.

Many difficult shows have been on the field but I think we have to comment on the ones that were relatively successful. I would say CADETS tend to put shows on the field that have very little "down time". They consistently use high velocity and high musical demand. CROWN certainly has demanding brass books and not just playing lots of notes. I recall their 2010 show with huge brass field coverage placing extremely high demand on the kids with respect to timing. CAVIES especially during their dominant years also booked from the beginning of the show to the end. Not that velocity is the most demanding feature of a show, but it does require all 150 MMs to be up to a certain level. I guess one would have to give BD kudos for the high performance level of some of those dark, chaotic dissonant shows. Not easy to get all Members on board and performing to shows with no melody or great visual moments. Lastly, I think Blue Knights show 2 years back had a high level of demand which they pulled off.

2 sneaky hard shows...

For a horn book 1991 BD. The popular choice here is Star, but I'm always amazed by Bird and Bela in B flat.

Visually, 2009 Vanguard blows me away. Until the ending, there are almost no sets on a horizontal plane. Every set is at an odd angle...had to be rough learning and cleaning those sets.

Z

• Like 1