DCI's (aka "Summer Band Camp") Transformation IS a GREAT t

I think the sooner the full transformation to Bands of America will be a great thing for Drum AND BUGLE Corps. Why? So this way the renaissance can begin. In my perfect world vision - DCI turns into just a more excelled touring marching band (complete with woodwinds, majorettes and whatever acid trip they want to go on) - so that they can separate themselves as much as possible from Drum and Bugle Corps and be completely aligned with marching band. THIS WAY - a drum and bugle corps association could be formed and let the rennasaince begin. I'd love to see DCA be the organization since it's an organization already in place. I would (arm-chairing) structure and support and encourage the building of local corps, doing local shows, then regionals, then a championship down the road. Bring back bugles, focus on entertainment (and volume) and tradition. Instead of these esoteric shows which are nothing more than staff ego competitions against one another and using kids as the tool to compete with each other - they focus on the public. Take all the "rejects" who didn't make Crown, Cadets, etc; and give them a bugle. Let's say it's Florida. Get a corps in Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, Tallahassee. Practice all summer with shows on weekends at each city site. Do clinics for local high schools, performances in parks and malls and get to know your community and support them so they support you. Then, go to a "regional" in Atlanta and then ultimately a championship somewhere. Make it affordable, accessible and "different" (wow, what's that - it's so loud - oh, it's a bugle with two valves - that looks cool, I want to play it). Design public friendly shows (nobody laughs at the Boston Pops - they survive and thrive) and let the country club DCI geeks do their thing and let bugle corps SEPARATE THEMSELVES from anything marching band. Their is value in learning a different instrument and doing something different. Not everything needs to be an education (musically) anyway. There is such a thing as pleasure and enjoyment. Why fight this thing any longer - build new drum and BUGLE corps and let go of the DCI thing. Let them go wander into bandland and throw support around new corps, new traditions. The sooner DCI keeps on changing, the more able a drum and bugle corps circuit can come back and be supported and sustain - and entertain. If done right, I think it can ultimately fail DCI or let it remain it's expensive elitist professional marching band for music educators and band parents. Let a drum and bugle corps circuit be for the poor to average types who want something positive, fun, entertaining to do without spending their college tuitions to do it.

I can't wait to see Drums on Parade in Madison this summer. It's going to be a great time!

I think the sooner the full transformation to Bands of America will be a great thing for Drum AND BUGLE Corps. Why? So this way the renaissance can begin. In my perfect world vision - DCI turns into just a more excelled touring marching band (complete with woodwinds, majorettes and whatever acid trip they want to go on) - so that they can separate themselves as much as possible from Drum and Bugle Corps and be completely aligned with marching band. THIS WAY - a drum and bugle corps association could be formed and let the rennasaince begin. I'd love to see DCA be the organization since it's an organization already in place. I would (arm-chairing) structure and support and encourage the building of local corps, doing local shows, then regionals, then a championship down the road. Bring back bugles, focus on entertainment (and volume) and tradition. Instead of these esoteric shows which are nothing more than staff ego competitions against one another and using kids as the tool to compete with each other - they focus on the public. Take all the "rejects" who didn't make Crown, Cadets, etc; and give them a bugle. Let's say it's Florida. Get a corps in Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, Tallahassee. Practice all summer with shows on weekends at each city site. Do clinics for local high schools, performances in parks and malls and get to know your community and support them so they support you. Then, go to a "regional" in Atlanta and then ultimately a championship somewhere. Make it affordable, accessible and "different" (wow, what's that - it's so loud - oh, it's a bugle with two valves - that looks cool, I want to play it). Design public friendly shows (nobody laughs at the Boston Pops - they survive and thrive) and let the country club DCI geeks do their thing and let bugle corps SEPARATE THEMSELVES from anything marching band. Their is value in learning a different instrument and doing something different. Not everything needs to be an education (musically) anyway. There is such a thing as pleasure and enjoyment. Why fight this thing any longer - build new drum and BUGLE corps and let go of the DCI thing. Let them go wander into bandland and throw support around new corps, new traditions. The sooner DCI keeps on changing, the more able a drum and bugle corps circuit can come back and be supported and sustain - and entertain. If done right, I think it can ultimately fail DCI or let it remain it's expensive elitist professional marching band for music educators and band parents. Let a drum and bugle corps circuit be for the poor to average types who want something positive, fun, entertaining to do without spending their college tuitions to do it.

Cool story!

Pretty much just trolling at this point. Calling members of today band geeks makes you just sound like the bitter old high school football coach that couldn't hack it at a higher level, so is angry at everyone and everything. So calling the members geeks just makes him feel about his life.

• Like 3