Drum Corps Night @ the Library!

I need some suggestions!

I am starting a drum corps night at my library and I need some suggestions for drum corps programs to show the first time.

The first night is an 'intro to drum corps' theme for those that may or may not be aware of the activity.

I appreciate any and all program suggestions!

Thank you!

My suggestion is for you to go onto the DCI main website ( at www.dci.org ).. look to the right top of the screen at " about ". Click on " about " and it will take you to a video in the middle of the screen. If you can hook that up to a library screen it will give the uninitiated an intro as to what DCI Drum Corps is about . The vdeo is well done in my view and shows various snippets of Corps in performance and an explanation of what its all about. Thats a good intro to those unfamilar with it all. From thre you could add snippets of orther shows, but keep it short and simple is always your best bet, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

My suggestion is for you to go onto the DCI main website ( at www.dci.org ).. look to the right top of the screen at " about ". Click on " about " and it will take you to a video in the middle of the screen. If you can hook that up to a library screen it will give the uninitiated an intro as to what DCI Drum Corps is about . The vdeo is well done in my view and shows various snippets of Corps in performance and an explanation of what its all about. Thats a good intro to those unfamilar with it all. From thre you could add snippets of orther shows, but keep it short and simple is always your best bet, imo

Might be time to update the info in the video.

I wouldn't use that video to introduce people to drum corps, since (1) more than half of it is devoted to promoting DCI's media coverage and website, and (2) almost no corps are heard, despite the repeated description of DCI as "marching music's major league".

• Like 1

Fantastic information! Thank you!

If it was me, I'd include:

'95 Cadets "Swing Swing Swing"

'07 Regiment "1000 Airplanes on the Roof" and "Flower Duet"

'88 VK intro through Malaguena

'10 Bluecoats "Asphalt Cocktail"

'91 Vanguard "Wedding Ceremony" and "The Fall of Saigon"

'11 Carolina Crown whole show

'95 Scouts "Malaga"

'00 Boston Crusaders whole show

'04 Blue Devils whole show

'91 Star whole show

'13 Carolina Crown whole show

Edited by Super Don-O
  • Like 1

Cool idea, but resign yourself to the fact that anyone not associated with drum corps is going to look at whatever you show ( be it 88 Scouts, 2010 Phantom, or 78 Bluestars) and think.... "hmmm, marching band...."

• Like 1

Depending on your average age group--2 hours might be too long. Maybe start off with 45-60 minutes and gauge the reaction. If they want more, add another 15-30 minutes at the next session. Keep the interest up and keep them coming back.

• Like 1

SCV '89 (Phantom of the Opera)

Crown '11 (Already has been said, but a great suggestion)

Madison '75

Cadets '11

Crossmen '98 (but I'm a little biased)

• Like 1