A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

Let's say a corps forms. This hypothetical corps is called "Tradition". They field 128 members and their SOLE PURPOSE is to perform OLD SHOWS. I'm talking - exactly true to the original - same score, same drill moves. For modernization sake, they have their own uniform, updated equipment (meaning they have a pit versus marching timpanis), they perform on G Bugles. The show could either be "an entire show" (for example 1980 Bridgeman) - or they would do combination (First they perform T.O.; then Elks Parade; then In the Stone; then Ice Castles. (Their end set would be the first set of the new song). This corps, called TRADITION, tours with it, competes (knowing they're not competitive) - however - they are a fan favorite in a big way (because it emotionally reaches, tributes history, alumni, tradition, etc;). Would this work? Would you like to see an organization be a tribute corps and exist among the ranks of touring drum corps? (I have a lot of free time on my hands today so mind is spinning).

Good luck getting kids interested in marching shows that are magnitudes less interesting to march than their high school shows. Any one of the top tier world corps could have any of these shows squeaky clean in a week. And I mean it. It would be so boring to do.

• Like 3

The time slot is what killing attendance at that show. Everyone that is in town has either

1. Had a full day and night of drum corps on Friday and Sat.

2.. Have friends or family in corps they would rather spend time at rehearsal sites with

3. Have corps or staff obligations for finals.

4. Way to hung over from the night before to get up at 7am to make a 10am call time.

well, since DCA and the competing corps are the main focus of the weekend, the alumni has to go somewhere.

But...younger crowds aren't going to be into these types of shows. thats fact. Look at the mass exodus every year when Bayonne goes on at Allentown

Edited by Jeff Ream

well, since DCA and the competing corps are the main focus of the weekend, the alumni has to go somewhere.

But...younger crowds aren't going to be into these types of shows. thats fact. Look at the mass exodus every year when Bayonne goes on at Allentown

even many of the younger people in the alumni corps ( 40s ) are getting tired of same ole same ole.....and want to at least bump it up to the 80s..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Its a great question, actually. He's not really addressed it. I get that he hates modern day DCI Drum Corps. But why he just doesn't find another hobby to explore... one that might bring him more joy and fulfilment... escapes me. Its one thing to be unhappy with some aspect of the activity ( from time to time we all are here ), but thats entirely different than wanting to hang around a hobby that no longer brings you some level of joy. I have no idea where that thinking comes from, nor would compel me to want to hang around something that either bores me or makes me unhappy, sad, angry, or whatever. Theres a hundred hobbies out there that can bring one joy,satisfaction, enlightenment, or something positive. Why remain unhappy and frustrated ? Life's too short to waste it like that in my opinion. Thats my thoughts on his unhappiness, frustrations anyway. Oh well, it is what it is,, and thats that.

Totally agree. I felt cynical about drum corps right after I aged-out. I moved across the country the summer after aging-out and didn't pay much attention to drum corps for years. After being away for awhile I returned with fresher eyes and ears, and became a fan again: like a born-again DCI fan! I realized there are still things I'm not a fan of in general, but there are more than enough things that I do like to keep me coming back, spending money on DCI stuff, etc. It's pretty easy for me to "ignore" what I dislike (or at least not focus on what I dislike) and instead focus on what I do enjoy. I recommend ANYONE who feels like DCI is more annoying than pleasant to try walking away completely for a season or two and see what their life is like. Maybe drum corps has passed you by (or vice versa) and it's time to fine a new hobby. Or maybe you'll come back, when you feel that "itch" that only precision marching & playing can scratch; maybe you'll realize drum lines throwing down crazy fast beats, or full corps marching insanely cool looking drill is worth the sting of whatever you don't like.

even many of the younger people in the alumni corps ( 40s ) are getting tired of same ole same ole.....and want to at least bump it up to the 80s..lol

yep. my corps does 80's 90's stuff, and even thats getting old LOL...but we died in 97, so we dont have much else to play

You know what, I really like the OP idea. I think it would cool first off to have another active corps, regardless of what type of show they are doing. Anytime you add another corps, that is one more chance for people to like another show on the field that year.

Personally, I usually enjoy all but one or two shows each year. There have been years I have loved every show on the field, and one year, there were 4 corps shows that kind of disappointed me.

I personally think a throwback type corps would be popular. Maybe it wouldn't be the most competitive. But there are more important things than just the score. In 2012, as many people here have already mentioned, Jersey Surf didn't place top 12, but they were a fan favorite of many. A Tradition corps isn't going to change any other corps performances. EVery other corps is still going to do the same show they would have done. So to bash the original poster seems kind of pointless. If you don't want to watch "Tradition" taking the field, make it your hot dog/bathroom corps.

As for the comments about how people who liked the old days better, watch the video/dvd, or listen to the cds, there is a small flaw with that. While the media is amazing, there is something so much more special seeing/hearing a show live. You don't get the full feel of the volume, even with a stereo cranked. With some of the old videos, you only get to see parts of the show, that the camera crew filmed. When you see a corps, you can watch whatever part of the show you want to.

To me, it seems like a win-win situation no matter how you look at it. Another corps on the field every year-awesome!! A retro show that many people can enjoy. People who may not be excited about what is on the field today, can probably really enjoy a show like this. And people who really like what is on the field today, won't miss out because it won't change what Devils, SCV, Phantom, Cavies, Crown, Cadets and all the other corps are putting out(unless they started placing top 5 and all the other corps copied their style).

Some people have complained that the OP doesn't like todays drum corps. So what? I don't think that is the point. What the OP has brought is the fact there is ONE MORE CORPS!! And the corps would cater to people who loved the old days and the old style shows. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And what is wrong with placing 23rd? There have been many shows that haven't made top 12 that are amazing wonderful, fun to watch over and over again shows. And how many times here on DCP in the last decade have we had people bashing Cadets, BD, and Cavaliers for shows that they were not excited about? Blue Devils and Cadets have placed in the top 3 many times with shows that many people, sometimes it seems like even a majority of people didn't like. Every year you will have people that like, and dislike shows. So as many people who have disliked some of the recent rule changes over the last decade, why wouldn't this new corps "Tradition" make many people happy?

Here's the thing, though. There are no rules expressly prohibiting ANY corps to do a show you're talking about. Madison recently did a throw-back esque show. SCV has done throwback-esque shows in the last few decades, Crossmen have, Cadets WSS 75th Anniversary show, etc. Each of those shows worked the nostalgia factor within the framework of modern design trends.

Yet these are the exceptions, and not the norm. Why is that? If designers who can do what they want (many of those designers marched several decades ago) why not do more of this type of show? I suspect most designers like to push the activity, be more creative, etc. Members seem to like to march where they feel like they're pushing forward, and not moving backwards. Judges like to award originality, and especially like to see corps bring new stuff to the table. Old-school, "traditional" shows can be fun, but as many others have said it would likely not have a place in DCI. If there are other organizations which would better foster a corps like that (DCA), why not do that?

The OP is certainly more-than-welcome to start their own corps and do whatever they want programming-wise. Maybe he can prove us all wrong...

I agree. Plus, for context, DCI has their I& E competitions ( not exhibitions ) of "the young " DCI'ers performed on outdoor sidewalks, in front of ice cream eating walk byers, curiousity seekers, and shoppers, etc,.. of all agers, and at no charge. These DCI young and supremely talented competitors involved in JUDGED COMPETITION and with the latest and newest instumentation, " modern " designs, & creativities, etc utilized in their competition, might find what ? 40-50 people tops in attendance numbers in their audience ?... and at no admission charge. So nobody should be criticizing the Alumni Spectacular EXHIBITION show attendance inside a stadium with PAID TICKET attendance on a Sunday Morning at 10 am. Good grief, its not like DCI is awash in public interest in their product offerings these days at Championships Week that they or their supporters can lecture anyone else on public interest and " attendance " at their Championships Week events.

I think it's difficult to compare the two, as one is a completely open, free solo and ensemble performance that is akin to a street performance, while the other is a paid admission in a stadium performance. It seems more logical to compare paid attendance to DCI Finals, DCA Finals and this alumni thing (which I know little/nothing about to be honest).

Well THAT was rather inconvenient of them, now wasn't it! :tounge2:

oh and then some...

While true, many, if not most, of the younger participants of DCI Corps arn't flocking back to become fans after they age out, or do it for a year or two either. Heck, most of the fundraising to keep these modern Corps alive arn't coming from the 23-35 year olders, lets me honest here. Without the older Alums, even some of whom that are the chronic complainers of modern day DCI, they'd be nobody in the stands, as these Corps wouldn't be around as it is to be out there still competing, still performing.

Also, who the heck do most people here think are typically out there playing bingo at those bingo halls out in Concord, Calif. , for example ? What are their typical ages ? What do they do for work ? What things do they like ? Are the Bingo players there that are defraying a lot of the costs to operate BD these days typically the young 24-35 year olders with Music Ed Degrees that marched the Blue Devils a few years back ? Umn... I don't think so.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1