Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

YEA and System Blue Devils have burned a lot of bridges in the bando world

They are going to have to show some real value other than starry eyed band directors and their bando pack crushing on a name

Based on what facts? I mean really, it's easy to make statements like this but can you support that?

I've been in the activity for 45 years, have had children go through the USSBA / USBands system as HS Band members and have volunteered on occasion for the organization.

From what I see, they produce great events, give students the opportunity to perform in some premium venues and take home some awesome experiences and memories. Bottom line isn't that what its all about? There is the value you are talking about.

Edited by Just A Fan

From what I see, they produce great events, give students the opportunity to perform in some premium venues and take home some awesome experiences and memories. Bottom line isn't that what its all about?

Oh, well if its for the kids of course it must be good….the kids want this (because we told them it’s what they want) so we must

I’ve talked to adults and some of the feedback; USBands, isn’t that a new name? why’d it go under? Why are there a bunch of angry band directors from years past...and System Blue might inspire kids getting to see the Blue Devils but you don’t have to pay to watch most corps practice

Oh, well if its for the kids of course it must be good….the kids want this (because we told them it’s what they want) so we must

I’ve talked to adults and some of the feedback; USBands, isn’t that a new name? why’d it go under? Why are there a bunch of angry band directors from years past...and System Blue might inspire kids getting to see the Blue Devils but you don’t have to pay to watch most corps practice

OK, so you're commenting on organizations that you clearly have no idea about how they are organized or operate. And... you're admittedly basing your comments on "years past". If I might offer... Attend a USBands event this year, talk to some of the current member bands and then I'd love to know your thoughts. Also, if you are really interested in knowing what YEA! and USBands are all about, check out their websites and facebook pages. I think that is the best way for you to find their "Value" that you are looking for.

Edited by Just A Fan

Is this really true? Being a long time attendee of USBand (and USSBA events) and from what I know of the organization, they do reach out to member band organizations to host some state championship events as additional fundraising opportunities. How does that translate into problems staffing shows? Also, Yea! has a large number of band parents as part of their volunteer database. So again, where is this an issue?

I was commenting on Henson's caveat about using DCI people as volunteers at DCI/BOA joint shows. Using parents is not an issue at all for USBands. I never said it was. They do put out feelers for band parents and Cadet alumni to volunteer at the USBands-hosted shows, as YEA! itself doesn't have the in-house staff to do so. They need a LOT of people at their big events, which is a testament to their popularity.

So my comment was geared more to the idea of using DCI folks as volunteers at these shows. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was making a negative comment about YEA! and USBands.

YEA and System Blue Devils have burned a lot of bridges in the bando world

They are going to have to show some real value other than starry eyed band directors and their bando pack crushing on a name

There are a LOT of bands attending the USBands events throughout the fall, so I'm not sure what you mean. Like with any circuit, bands rotate in and out between the circuits in my area. I've seen bands leave USBands, go to TOB, and then come back...as well as the other way round. Some do multiple circuits.

I was commenting on Henson's caveat about using DCI people as volunteers at DCI/BOA joint shows. Using parents is not an issue at all for USBands. I never said it was. They do put out feelers for band parents and Cadet alumni to volunteer at the USBands-hosted shows, as YEA! itself doesn't have the in-house staff to do so. They need a LOT of people at their big events, which is a testament to their popularity.

So my comment was geared more to the idea of using DCI folks as volunteers at these shows. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was making a negative comment about YEA! and USBands.

All Good!

What are you talking about? What "went under"? They just changed the name from USSBA to USBands, after going from CMBC to USSBA initially. Just a name change.

Angry band directors? That happens all the time in every circuit I have seen over the decades. Bands move between circuits all the time. Sometimes bands leave one circuit only to eventually come back and may rinse and repeat more than one time.

• Like 3

USBANDS, with the possible exception of the top-level shows, doesn't do that. Their organization is much closer to the TEP system, but without as much hassle (e.g. setting up housing, etc.) The USBANDS approach is like a franchise agreement - "Give us some money, find a venue, hire some judges, and we'll give you sheets, tab software, and let you use our brand to promote your show."

USBands also supplies Event management staff for every one of their events.