Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

Per the DCI news story in which the any-brass rule was announced:

"Also by unanimous vote of the membership, eight individuals were elected to one-year terms to serve on the DCI Board of Directors. Overseeing the business affairs of the corporation will be Tom French (unaffiliated), John Masterson (Troopers), Chris Komnick (Madison Scouts), Jeff Fiedler (Santa Clara Vanguard), Fred Morrison (Crossmen), David Gibbs (Blue Devils), Jim Coates (Carolina Crown), Mark Arnold (Blue Knights) and Rick Valenzuela (Phantom Regiment). Appointed as officers, Fiedler will serve as Chairman, Komnick as Vice Chairman, Morrison as Treasurer and Valenzuela as Secretary."

This story also shows that DCI can't count.

Ha! I wonder if one of them was already on a two-year stint so that he didn't need to be elected? Eight were elected, one was not (and I guess we can assume he wasn't appointed).

Just a guess.

isnt mim a business venture for these corps? IF mim was to provide anything to BOA fine I doubt though they would partner with BOA DCI is those same corps..wouldnt it be like Mc Donalds partnering with Burger King..as far as whats good for the whole activity..that all sounds good on paper BUT this is a business.DCI as well as WGI did at one time talk with BOA and I believe BOA wanted WGI BUT thats giving all the candy up for those in grained in WGI so it didnt fly...for numerous reasons. But who knows either way the joining between drum corps and the band world will take place,..........whoever its with IMO

I don't think I'm being clear. I'm not saying MiM should provide BOA with anything. I'm saying that DCI could partner with BOA and supply the same services to BOA using the O-15 corps/directors in the same fashion that MiM is providing to USBands.

• Like 1

You're going to need to illustrate an example. How can "real dirt" on DCI be used advantageously?

given the lack of trust in the board room, anything can be perceived to be real dirt. they may all be making nice right now, but the trust factor is just words on paper. anything any of the 7 do is viewed with suspicion

As for members...the average marching member of a G7 corps is in college, so hosting a few HS MB competitions is not going to radically alter the makeup of the G7 marching members. Might a player or two decide to try out for a G7 corps, or any other corps, after attending a MiM show? Maybe, esp if the recruitment booths are decent. My guess is that BD and SCV, with their lower corps, might benefit the most from a MiM show if it is local enough to their home bases. Cadets2 in DCA might draw a few potential members from the Annapolis show. IMO there would be little impact to the audition pool for for the rest of the corps.

Now...if there was a general DCI recruitment setup area at the shows...that might help market all of the corps, esp those outside the G7, to the Hs MB student population.

and i doubt that will be allowed to happen. no one other than YEA reecruits at YEA run events aka Yamaha Cup, Metlife etc

Again, this is not some sort of revolutionary, exclusive idea: literally any organization/person in the world with contacts can host their own independent show, with whatever sheets and judges they want. DCI sets up a booth at BOA, and I'm sure any corps can set up a booth at ANY show if they really want to and blast marketing materials all they want.

you're right, it isn't.

but the level of distrust in the BOD room was never like it is today.

here's the genius thing...Hop quit the BOD, so now he can go out and do what he wants in the name of the MIM.

but a true but funny USBands story:

about 5 years ago, a friend took his band to a USBands show. The local host school had no yard markers out, and the band director raised hell. he told the YEA supplied chief judge "if your corps director can hold up DCI quarterfinals for hash marks, my group 1 band can hold up this show for yard markers" and walked away.

the crowd cheered for the band when they came on the field to perform once the yard markers were in place

:tounge2:

How?

How would the O-15 corps be voting against themselves by voting to provide MiM-style services to BOA? If it works, wouldn't BOA want the to compete with USBands in services provided but do it with top-notch service that BOA is known for (apparently)?

Last I knew, there was only one (or was it two?) MiM/G7 directors on the voting board of DCI.

There has been a pretty consistent chorus of "Top Corps" directors who claim to have offered the keys to their success, and business "expertise", and ideas to the other corps and DCI over the years, and yet those beneficiaries have either ignored the outreach and suggestions, or taken a good idea and driven it into the ground. I happen to believe these claims of them offering help.

I can't imagine that the G7/MiM corps would vote against DCI formally hooking up with BOA and using the good idea to the advantage of the whole activity, presuming it is a good idea. MiM could, in fact, be a test bed of ideas that these corps want to try without impacting the other corps and, at the same time, keeping the fruits of their labors for themselves. If a DCI/BOA partnership could produce the same benefits for DCI and the other corps, why would MiM corps directors prevent it from happening?

i could see one director voting against because he views anything else out there as competition to his band circuit.

and i doubt that will be allowed to happen. no one other than YEA reecruits at YEA run events aka Yamaha Cup, Metlife etc

But these shows are run under the auspices of MiM, not YEA, so that does not automatically follow for these shows.

isnt mim a business venture for these corps? IF mim was to provide anything to BOA fine I doubt though they would partner with BOA DCI is those same corps..wouldnt it be like Mc Donalds partnering with Burger King..as far as whats good for the whole activity..that all sounds good on paper BUT this is a business.DCI as well as WGI did at one time talk with BOA and I believe BOA wanted WGI BUT thats giving all the candy up for those in grained in WGI so it didnt fly...for numerous reasons. But who knows either way the joining between drum corps and the band world will take place,..........whoever its with IMO

MiM is a separate entity from these corps. It may be controlled by those corps, but it is still separate. So MiM wouldn't be providing anything to BOA, but maybe some corps that also control MiM would be providing something to BOA. There's a distinction here. No. It wouldn't be like McDonalds partnering with Burger King ( Yuk and Yuk, btw).

But these shows are run under the auspices of MiM, not YEA, so that does not automatically follow for these shows.

so then no one outside of the MIM groups will be allowed to recruit. Not hard to figure out

MiM is a separate entity from these corps. It may be controlled by those corps, but it is still separate. So MiM wouldn't be providing anything to BOA, but maybe some corps that also control MiM would be providing something to BOA. There's a distinction here. No. It wouldn't be like McDonalds partnering with Burger King ( Yuk and Yuk, btw).

hmmmm a separate ? hmmmmm ok people like comparisons here...Pepsi owns separate companies, different from the soda devision...you actually think they are goin g to use, help or deal with cokes SEPARATE companies?..lol