Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

youre forgeting that DCI is the corps...so the corps involved would be voting to do something against themselves

isnt mim a business venture for these corps? IF mim was to provide anything to BOA fine I doubt though they would partner with BOA DCI is those same corps..wouldnt it be like Mc Donalds partnering with Burger King..

i think im either not understanding or not saying it right either...sorry..I think what Im trying to say is MIM with all these corps involved already is DCI.( not in mane but member)...since DCI is the corps ..which are the same corps as MIM...minus a few

So what you are saying is that MiM is a business venture that could create a conflict of interest with DCI.

I don't think I'm being clear. I'm not saying MiM should provide BOA with anything. I'm saying that DCI could partner with BOA and supply the same services to BOA using the O-15 corps/directors in the same fashion that MiM is providing to USBands.

BOA does partner with groups, usually local band booster associations, to provide volunteers at shows. No reason it couldn't use a drum corps, provided that corps was able to provide enough people. That's a big caveat.

OK, I see your point but I still disagree. This may 'splain it...:

Is system Blue in fact DCI because it involved a DCI drum corps? I hope you say no, system Blue is not DCI.

For the same reason, MiM is not DCI even though it involves DCI drum corps. MiM is their own, separate venture, distinct from DCI. Because they are not holding drum corps competitions DCI has no say in what they do.

Then, similarly but opposite, DCI can partner with BOA if the BOD votes to do so. In that situation DCI can offer similar services to BOA using DCI corps. If only the O-15 corps participate in the BOA services agreement with DCI (because the MiM corps oppose supporting other than USBands) then the MiM corps directors can't, at least in good conscience (to the extent they have desires to grow the activity as a whole) vote against a DCI/BOA partnership.

IMO, anyway.

That's a good point, and people have to remember that DCI has its own Director and he doesn't always make decisions that all of the DCI corps directors approve of. I've heard stories of certain DCI corps directors threatening a mutiny if Dan A. doesn't change his mind (and Dan A. didn't change his mind). So even though DCI is made of the drum corps, DCI has its own agenda and purpose that sometimes conflicts with individual corps directors' interests.

BOA does partner with groups, usually local band booster associations, to provide volunteers at shows. No reason it couldn't use a drum corps, provided that corps was able to provide enough people. That's a big caveat.

That is a VERY big caveat, by the way. YEA! has problems getting people to staff shows at their own USBands-sponsored shows, such as state and national champs. They often end up looking for band parents to volunteer to assist.

Think about this relationship:

MiM = DCI

YEA! = BOA

Now connect the dots and think about the relationships.

Is MiM running band shows? No, they're not. YEA! is running the band shows under the auspices of MiM. Does MiM provide "local volunteers"? No they don't. YEA! takes care of that. So what does MiM provide? As I understand their announcement, MiM provides the high-level corps directors and staff to be on hand at the show to provide feedback, guidance, clinic training, etc

Now, put that in the context of DCI and BOA. Will DCI provide local volunteers? No, BOA does that. What does DCI provide? They provide the high-level corps directors and staff to be on hand at the show to provide feedback, guidance, clinic training, etc.

I suggest that DCI formalize its relationship with BOA in the same way that MiM has formalized the relationship with YEA! YEA! wants to broaden its reach and so does BOA.

If this is a great idea, then DCI should FINALLY take seriously MiM's contention that this is a good thing and use the example to benefit the whole activity.

Don't get wrapped up in DCI running band shows (or providing volunteers, etc) - MiM doesn't plan to run band shows, either.

It seems to me that the biggest drawback to this plan would be that MiM shows will judge under the USBands sheets which are more aligned with BOA's sheets than is DCI's sheets. But remember that MiM is not using "their sheets" either, so DCI using BOA sheets at band competitions is no different.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

if only the O-15 are involved, I doubt BOA would go for it

That's a pretty big condemnation of the value of the O-15, don't you think?

I disagree. I think BOA would consider instruction and guidance from even the lowly Madison Scouts as quite impressive and useful in promoting corps-style band competitions.

In fact, I would think that BOA would consider Surf as a very worth "high-level" goal for many of the kids in their competitions.

Further, there are 15 of the Others and 7 of the G's. While it would be much better by factors for the 22 DCI corps to work in the DCI/BOA partnership, even if the 7 refused to participate to promote only YEA! (why would they do that?), there's still plenty of bodies and talent that DCI could contribute to the major regional BOA shows.

Finally, if DCI actually thought that BOA wouldn't go for such a deal because it's "only" the O-15, they could turn that into their favor by simply pricing accordingly their costs to provide those corps staffs, and offering similar service at a cheaper price. But again, they would only do this if they believed that the average band directors at a BOA show would NOT find valuable a day of instruction from corps like BlueStars, Blue Knights, Crossmen, BAC, Madison Scouts, etc.

I think more likely that the average BOA band director would love to have instruction from those corps because they are DCI. I don't think those band directors would view only the "top" corps worthy of paying attention to.

If I were DCI, I'd price the service at whatever the market will bear, and I'd bet that directors view all DCI corps as worth the market price. I'd not allow myself or my staff to be swayed by the contention that there is no value just because it's not the top seven. If you buy that, then we should just let the seven execute their 2010 plan, right?

• Like 1

That is a VERY big caveat, by the way. YEA! has problems getting people to staff shows at their own USBands-sponsored shows, such as state and national champs. They often end up looking for band parents to volunteer to assist.

Presuming this is true (and I don't doubt it at all), it's still not pertinent to a DCI/BOA partnership. DCI doesn't provide show volunteers in my metric.

BOA should pay attention to your contention and, if true, it should be part of BOA's sales pitch to local band directors considering a BOA performance. DCI would only need to trust that BOA doesn't run shows with the same volunteer problems that you say YEA! has.

Not having read this entire thread but my hunch is the money generated will go in the individuals’ pockets and not their corps with some taken off the top for MIM. So will give MiM a few bucks for operations and strengthen the bond of the eGo-7.

So just the same olds cashing in on the DCI brand, being greedy, pretending to teach

Is this really true? Being a long time attendee of USBand (and USSBA events) and from what I know of the organization, they do reach out to member band organizations to host some state championship events as additional fundraising opportunities. How does that translate into problems staffing shows? Also, Yea! has a large number of band parents as part of their volunteer database. So again, where is this an issue?

YEA and System Blue Devils have burned a lot of bridges in the bando world

They are going to have to show some real value other than starry eyed band directors and their bando pack crushing on a name