Change to Judging

So DCI posted on Facebook that GE Judges have been given the freedom to judge more like an audience member. Thoughts?

Edited by JoshClements403

This is a step in the right direction to close the gap of disconnect. Nevertheless, as long as the GE judges still have intimate communication lines with the corps staff designers, where design staff inform, discuss, and massage the show concepts to the judges (in a manner in which the general audience members are not privy to the same intimate communication), there is no way whatsoever a judge can evaluate ‘as if they were general audience members'.

• Like 1

Agree.

The insular nature of the marching arts (using the same judges or "the people are already in place") will just make this a bit more back-patting across the aisle then we might have seen previously.

Hope that's not the case . . .but you haven't tweaked terribly much here; if anything, you've made it easier for someone to be a bit more lazy in their respective analysis by just glomming onto the "big moment" in the other effect area.

Cesario mentions this as an evolution; I might be more interested if I knew what the end game to this was.

Just because a judge now CAN judge like an audience member does not mean that they WILL. If DCI and all corps that make up DCI wanted to be serious about this, they would have voted in a change that mandates this. Not sure how you define "judging like an audience member" and how you would mandate that, but that's a whole other conversation.

From my experience with listening to DCI GE tapes the judges already considers the audience. There will be comments like "wow, the crowd is really getting into it" or "you didn't quite excite the crowd in the way you were anticipating". A lot of their analysis is technical yes but if a corps is really kicking ### they can't help but have their inner "fan" reaction to a show.

Plus, I'm not really sure how a judge in "judge-mode" will have a different opinion than the same judge in "audience member-mode". Cesario says that without this change we were putting judges in a box... but realistically these judges aren't segregating their thoughts like this. Maybe its easier to tell the public that the judges will consider "this" or "that" than it is to say that maybe the GE judge actually really enjoyed the Blue Devils rendition of DADA or Through a Glass Darkly. It's clearly a superficial change.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Just because a judge now CAN judge like an audience member does not mean that they WILL. If DCI and all corps that make up DCI wanted to be serious about this, they would have voted in a change that mandates this. Not sure how you define "judging like an audience member" and how you would mandate that, but that's a whole other conversation.

NOW WHICH AUDIENCE MEMBER DOES ONE JUDGE LIKE?...HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :fight:

They should have been enjoying the programs presented anyhow and trying to appreciate in no small part from that angle to begin with. This is a "my head asplode" moment for me when they need to be reminded of this or asked to do it. :help::blink: