Change to Judging

That's the problem, what is the benchmark of what is effective? I have my opinion, which isn't shared and perceived the same way by everyone, so how do we judge it? Not disagreeing, but that kinda proves my point.

well some would say WE dont...judges do...others who need to judge will always be in or out of the perspection of the actual judge or even the person next to them..............I think when judging is involved spectators as well as those directly involved will NEVER quite understand or agree . The skating world is going through the exact same thing at the moment.

Edited by GUARDLING

If they want judges to view more like audience members, how about getting rid of the corps' video explanations to judges preseason? Let them try to puzzle out what in the world is going on in some of the shows, just like the rest of us.

Mike

• Like 2

Agree.

The insular nature of the marching arts (using the same judges or "the people are already in place") will just make this a bit more back-patting across the aisle then we might have seen previously.

Hope that's not the case . . .but you haven't tweaked terribly much here; if anything, you've made it easier for someone to be a bit more lazy in their respective analysis by just glomming onto the "big moment" in the other effect area.

Cesario mentions this as an evolution; I might be more interested if I knew what the end game to this was.

Yeah, the article was really written poorly, IMO. There was no real explanation other than really nebulous rhetoric about GE judges being able to appreciate a wow moment. I'm always hesitant to get too excited over that type of fluff-speak, so we'll see how this plays out. I know if I was a staffer and felt like an Effect judge was talking out-of-caption in a negative way, and/or in a way I thought they were not qualified to speak, I would not be happy.

That all being said, I'm going to assume that this is all much more clear cut as far as training goes, explanation to the corps, etc. and this garbage of an article was written down for the fans to try to hype it up a bit. I did smirk, as I kind of thought something to the effect of, "uh-oh BD-haters: potentially more to love on the GE sheets for their designs!" :tounge2:

• Like 1

So DCI posted on Facebook that GE Judges have been given the freedom to judge more like an audience member. Thoughts?

Finally. Its about time. Now let the fans vote for their favorite Drum Corps using their cell phones & make that count for 5% of the score.

I liked the interview with Michael. There are no doubt 'magical moments' only DCI corps can do, as he says occur 2, 3 & 4 times in every show. He goes on to say such design choices bring people out of their seats, and DCI needs to reward those design choices in more ways as they are so valuable to what DCI is all about (paraphrasing it all here). Well, yes!

Moments like these have ALWAYS been in play, just not as many, it seems to me, in recent times. If, by rewarding this achievement in new ways adds to the corps overall score (its competitive success) I'm all for this 'tweak." It might actually result in MORE of those moments per corps.

theres no difference here..at all....just on a piece of paper now.......and one assumes that GE judges will agree with an audience?..hmmm.....ok..............we'll see , its only a few months :wow:

I didn't really read that at all; I know that's what the kind of misleading headline implies, but not really what the article says. As far as relating to the audience, the article kind of obliquely references judges and audience similarity when it says GE judges can view "the whole show" instead of just the musical effect or just visual effect side.

I didn't really read that at all; I know that's what the kind of misleading headline implies, but not really what the article says. As far as relating to the audience, the article kind of obliquely references judges and audience similarity when it says GE judges can view "the whole show" instead of just the musical effect or just visual effect side.

yes..which really was being done anyway...just on paper now IMO

• Like 1

Finally. Its about time. Now let the fans vote for their favorite Drum Corps using their cell phones & make that count for 5% of the score.

what do you actually think is going to change...nothing..........................fan vote is fine as long as it has nothing to do with score........fan votes dont mean the best wins

• Like 1

The ' judges view the whole show, ' as spectators more often do, concept is a substantial step in my mind. I dont know if this new view can ever be kept 'true to form' to everyone's satisfaction, but this seemingly small change is an important acknowledgment.

The ' judges view the whole show, ' as spectators more often do, concept is a substantial step in my mind. I dont know if this new view can ever be kept 'true to form' to everyone's satisfaction, but this seemingly small change is an important acknowledgment.

just political.alkt....nothing is different nor will it change any outcomes IMO