Best 12th place shows.

Many really memorable programs from that list and spanning many, many good years of the activity. My personal faves from that list?

The 1980 Guardsmen. Tiger of San Pedro, fun, fun, and really fun.

1989 Crossmen- that corps also got the Crossmen back on track in an exciting and enjoyable way- the arrangement of "how High the Moon" with the cape reveal, I stood for it at East prelims. Great stuff.

I loved '03's Spirit program, the "Time in a Bottle" arrangement, great! Late season charge for the corps. Talked to some of the members in the stands, told them they had a shot at finals, they were kinda amazed, but it seems they realized they had something in those last 2 weeks and did it.

'09 Troopers, a very listenable and enjoyable program, period. great arranging.

'12 Crossmen, finally, they understood in Texas the concept of "Crossmen Groovy", and guess what? It paid off, young and old liked it a lot, and they made finals.

5 shows spanning 32 years, all fun, memorable, enjoyable. All with moments to remember. Something to think about in regards to show planning at any level of the activity.

Many really memorable programs from that list and spanning many, many good years of the activity. My personal faves from that list?

The 1980 Guardsmen. Tiger of San Pedro, fun, fun, and really fun.

1989 Crossmen- that corps also got the Crossmen back on track in an exciting and enjoyable way- the arrangement of "how High the Moon" with the cape reveal, I stood for it at East prelims. Great stuff.

I loved '03's Spirit program, the "Time in a Bottle" arrangement, great! Late season charge for the corps. Talked to some of the members in the stands, told them they had a shot at finals, they were kinda amazed, but it seems they realized they had something in those last 2 weeks and did it.

'09 Troopers, a very listenable and enjoyable program, period. great arranging.

'12 Crossmen, finally, they understood in Texas the concept of "Crossmen Groovy", and guess what? It paid off, young and old liked it a lot, and they made finals.

5 shows spanning 32 years, all fun, memorable, enjoyable. All with moments to remember. Something to think about in regards to show planning at any level of the activity.

(Original post deleted due to sensory overload, leading to my being a total idiot).

Sorry.

Edited by HornTeacher

Sky Ryders 1988, Colts 1999

True, BigW. But I still don't understand why the soprano solo didn't go up the octave at the end of the 2nd statement of the "John Dunbar Theme." Would have really rounded off that opening section, and provided impetus into the next section. Oh, well -- I guess that's why I'm not on anybody's staff. :doh:

Could be they didn't have someone they felt could nail it consistently.

The '99 Colts "Voices" show was really powerful - much more than the "typical" 12th place corps. But for me, Madison's 2008 "Noche de la Iguana" was a *really* fun show, and still is one of my favorite shows from them.

Mike

SkyRyders 88 - Sound of Music

Big, loud, showy and they had a cool jazz version of "A few of my favorite things".

Edited by WWonka

1992 - Freelancers – The Music of Sir William Walton

Pretty sophisticated show. Great guard, great brass, good drill. What's not to love about this show?

Thanks, Jeff. I wanted to include this one, but was afraid to do so for appearing too "low brow." This opening served little more than to say "Hello...we're BACK!!!!" Nothing earth-shattering in the message; but totally conclusive in the meaning.

i'd like to add troopers 79

• Like 1

1992 - Freelancers – The Music of Sir William Walton

Pretty sophisticated show. Great guard, great brass, good drill. What's not to love about this show?

the percussion dirt

Could be they didn't have someone they felt could nail it consistently.

Could be. But I've checked it out -- and as a trumpet player myself, it really wouldn't have been all that high. BUT, far be it for me to render such a decision. They know best, by far.