Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

• I’m not trolling … I’m asking a question about the upcoming season. I’m stating I’m not excited and was bored with many of last year’s offerings. But I was thrown under the bus and ran over repeatedly. Don’t worry I have thick skin J.

I think once every corps has released their show info, it's a little easier to draw a final opinion. As of now, only SCV and Bloo jump out at me as having great shows, but there's still 10+ corps that haven't really said anything about their shows besides maybe a title and one song. I think April or May is the best time to see where corps are going with their designs, since they've usually all released their reps and designs by then. I don't really enjoy it when corps wait forever to release info, but it is what it is. They could be much more exciting to you this year than they were last year. I'd just ask that you give it a chance, give the corps a chance to release their info before knowing whether or not it won't be exciting. Sorry you felt like you were thrown under the bus, and thanks for explaining your thoughts farther

Id DCI was smart, they would view DCP as a free think tank & resource of how fans feel. Why would you choose to ignore the largest message board in the activity? But the clowns who run DCI have never been very good at reacting to what fans want, thus the 25+ years of decline in this activity. Its like they say in the business world, if you dont listen to your customers, you will go out of business. DCI has been slowly going out of business for years. If you are happy with the direction of DCI, then enjoy the 10 corps who might survive...but the reality is that the Drum Corps acivity will most likely disapear & just merge with MBA. Ye gads. If DCI was a real business everyone there would have been fired long ago. It's never too late though.

you couldnt be more wrong on a few things.......free thinking?....ok....resource how fans feel?...hardly anything close to majority on either side of the fence...largest message board...true there are a few new names here of lately BUT mostly all the same few people...............drum corps disappearing?..you could be right except not for the reasons you might think...imo

FSUBONE - thanks for your post. I checked your profile on here ... I don't know you at all but something on your profile stuck out to me. One of your favorate shows of all time was the 1992 Madison Scouts. I toured with the Scouts that year. It is one of my all time favs as well. I can still just about hum that entire show ... now that was an exciting year to me.

FSUBONE - thanks for your post. I checked your profile on here ... I don't know you at all but something on your profile stuck out to me. One of your favorate shows of all time was the 1992 Madison Scouts. I toured with the Scouts that year. It is one of my all time favs as well. I can still just about hum that entire show ... now that was an exciting year to me.

That was such a great show. I wasn't old enough to know anything about DCI, but I've always loved that show. Had such a power and cool behind it. Pretty good play as well that they based it on. 1992 was probably my favorite year for Finals, great shows top to bottom. I'll admit that shows today aren't as all-out fun as they were 20 years ago, I think Star did kind of change the direction of DCI. But I've been exposed to a lot more music I wouldn't have normally listened to in the current, more "artsy" era. I think if someone like Madison or SCV can get back up the ranks into the winner's circle, it could help change things. Madison would need a better visual program, and SCV just needs the pieces to fall into place to win again. This could be an exciting year for shows, but without knowing what half the corps are playing, it's tough to know one way or another.

in 1992 BD played When a Man Loved A Woman! They brought down the house. Stripping down to an unbuttoned shirt ... it was hot! Everyone in audience knew that show just OOOOZED sexy! You are right top to bottom the top 12 were all great shows. DCI won't let Madison move up and SCV just has got to get everything to fall in place. If Jeff Fedler can work his magic in SCV, I think SCV will be on top for many years to come. I would like to see SCV make a move ... Gayle Royer sure did have them in fine shape back in the late 70s and 80s. SCV has to stop all of it's in-fighting and that would help them a lot.

It's quite a long post to be from a "troll" but that's just my opinion. I felt the guy was stating how he feels which is why I really appreciated what Fred Windish wrote as a reply.

There are a lot of people who write interesting things about the activity on this board. There are also a handful that just like to argue about everything down to the 'nth degree until the subject matter is no longer recognizable. At that point it's no longer about opinion - it's about having to be right all the time.

leave Stu out of this

• Like 1

Wow. Normally you and I are on the same page, but I couldn't disagree more. We need more corps. The whole "exclusivity" argument has really gained traction with fans in the past 5 years or so, and I for one am baffled by it.

We need more marching members. We need more fans in the stands. This is not a concert hall, with an intimate and nuanced connection between a small group of fans and the performers. Drum Corps, by definition and venue, is big, loud, brash and energetic - if for no other reason than to reach fans sitting 30 yards away, you *have* to be. Like I said, let's get everyone we can engaged with drum corps and bring them in to the activity, because it's a truly worthwhile experience for the members and an entertaining show for fans.

I, for one, would welcome the "Wal Mart" crowd, 'cause I am part of that. And I'd like to think that doesn't mean I can't understand or appreciate art put in front of me. But again, outdoor activity... fans 30 yards away... by its very nature, there are some things that drum corps *needs* to be more of.

Mike

I heart you in a platonic way

That could be. I generally categorize trolls as someone who starts a topic as a blatant counter-argument to a forum (such as a "I don't like DCI World Class drum corps" topic in a DCI World Class drum corps forum), and then having actual, intelligent discourse doesn't reply to anyone's counter arguments. THAT is a discussion. You saying "I love Lincoln Continentals for these reasons," me replying, "I dislike Lincolns for these reasons, and prefer this alternative for these reasons" = a friendly discussion of disagreement. Saying "Lincoln Continentals are ginormous boats with wheels that really suck" and then not adding to the discussion = likely trolling. Had the OP debated with people with dissenting opinions, I would agree that he's not trolling. Since he hasn't, well, you know the seeing:

If it sounds like a troll and stinks like a troll, it's likely a troll.

curious...i did that thread the other week telling people if they hate it to leave. granted i didn't kiss DCI's ### in that thread....so where do I rank?

It isn't an issue of not allowing different opinions on DCI shows. It's about insatiable complainers.

no offense, but they've made tv shows about people like that that pulled in zillions more than DCi ever did.

Wow I asked a simple question and get called almost every name in the book for it. I said I was not excited about the upcoming season. I asked “Does anyone else feel this way and if so why?”

Here is what I found surprising.

• I’m not trolling … I’m asking a question about the upcoming season. I’m stating I’m not excited and was bored with many of last year’s offerings. But I was thrown under the bus and ran over repeatedly. Don’t worry I have thick skin J.
  • Some members really gave me some good insight about some of the things currently happening with corps I didn’t know. Thank you for being supportive of my question and statement about not being excited and needing more than one viewing to connect/understand a show.
  • The DCP members that bashed me for my post, I checked to see their status on DCP and surprisingly I found many of them to be Veteran members with numerous postings. My gosh are you the Nancy Grace’s of DCP where your opinion the only ones that count?
  • Some of you bashed me for starting a topic you thought had been beaten like a dead horse. Do you bash those that start topics talking about Placements for 2014? We’ve not even seen a show in 2014 yet. I didn’t want to bring electronics into this discuss nor instrumentation … I really don’t’ care either way about what type of horns the corps play, but if you want to know I think drum corps lost it’s edge (corps used to have a bright sound now they don’t) when it went to B Flat horns.
  • Lastly, it seems like many of you don’t have lives and live on here. One poster was asking why I had not posted yet to defend myself. Well I just got around to checking my post. I am sorry but I am a rather busy man with my own National Championship Drill Team and I’ve been busy.

Hind sight - maybe it’s not the corps I’m bored with at all … maybe it’s the snotty attitude some people have towards drum corps. Some of you posters sure do fit the label of, “Take it or leave it”, or “Its change baby so adapt” and “Out with the Dinosaurs, we don’t need you!”

It’s a free world, so troll on.

you rock!