Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

This is, after all, a discussion group. That means there will be topics and posts that you like, and maybe some you dislike. So just skip the ones you dislike.

I found that I enjoy shows when I see them fresh, without watching rehearsals, researching repertoires or seeing promotional videos. So when people post that sort of material here, I just skip over it and move onto something else. Just because I do not want to know what SCV is playing, or click the link to the latest Cadets video preview, does not mean it would make any sense for me to insist that the rest of you stop posting that material. Maybe we could all show the same courtesy?

This is, after all, a discussion group. That means there will be topics and posts that you like, and maybe some you dislike. So just skip the ones you dislike.

I found that I enjoy shows when I see them fresh, without watching rehearsals, researching repertoires or seeing promotional videos. So when people post that sort of material here, I just skip over it and move onto something else. Just because I do not want to know what SCV is playing, or click the link to the latest Cadets video preview, does not mean it would make any sense for me to insist that the rest of you stop posting that material. Maybe we could all show the same courtesy?

15 yard penalty and loss of down.

:tounge2:

Harsh. And with no cited evidence of truth.

True. But the day Walmart picks up DCI FINALS DVD you might be correct, otherwise I feel safe stating the obvious.

Edited by Mello Dude

True. But the day Walmart picks up DCI FINALS DVD you might be correct, otherwise I feel safe stating the obvious.

I'm just nit-picking because I get your point, but I wonder:

Would you rather pick up a DCI video at WalMart, or only find it at Nieman-Marcus?

That you can't find DCI vids next to the bad oil paintings at Walmart is not a bad thing to me.

I'm just nit-picking because I get your point, but I wonder:

Would you rather pick up a DCI video at WalMart, or only find it at Nieman-Marcus?

That you can't find DCI vids next to the bad oil paintings at Walmart is not a bad thing to me.

Depends. Do you want the world to embrace DCI and have some exposure or do you want to only appeal to a small group? Probably the biggest disconnect in DCI today and yesteryear. BITD we tried to get everyone and their mother involved today it seems only for the well to do crowd and something to put on a resume for music ed.

• Like 1

I notice that the OP is nowhere to be found. Was he scared away because he lacks conviction or because was intimidated by the responses?

Possibly, just possibly, he's a troll. We don't like trolls here any more than we like weak spines and opinions.

Was it possible that he'd have stayed around if the responses were more favorable to his opinion? Seems unlikely. But maybe the OP didn't understand the nature of a public opinion forum board.

Hey, OP! Any further comments or were just having a bad day?

It's quite a long post to be from a "troll" but that's just my opinion. I felt the guy was stating how he feels which is why I really appreciated what Fred Windish wrote as a reply.

There are a lot of people who write interesting things about the activity on this board. There are also a handful that just like to argue about everything down to the 'nth degree until the subject matter is no longer recognizable. At that point it's no longer about opinion - it's about having to be right all the time.

Depends. Do you want the world to embrace DCI and have some exposure or do you want to only appeal to a small group? Probably the biggest disconnect in DCI today and yesteryear. BITD we tried to get everyone and their mother involved today it seems only for the well to do crowd and something to put on a resume for music ed.

Me, personally? I'd much rather have an audience of snobby patrons who behave themselves than a bunch of "Band Mom" Walmart patrons and their clanging bells and screams for little Johnny that prevents me from hearing the music from the field.

But that's just me, and I don't do Walmart if I can help it.

I've apparently missed the websites dedicated to posting pics of Sach's 5th Avenue shoppers.

Perhaps, the forum admin should sticky this topic at the top of the forum then rather than getting buried if this is such a huge issue?

It generally isn't a huge issue, and I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions. But this year's griping seems to have been taken to a whole new level. Maybe I'm just suffering from "alumniof fatigue" and am overly sensitive to people starting a topic to gripe about every last negative thought that popped into their head.

• Like 2

I know I can't be the only one getting annoyed by these "I'm leaving drum corps forever" threads. Is anyone expected to care? Just move on quietly and save us all the time and effort.

Then don't read it and don't post a reply? I know I can't be the only one that gets annoyed when people write posts in threads about how they don't like the topic of the thread.

Anyway.. OP, not as far gone as you yet, but each year I get moved in the same direction a bit more. If my daughter hadn't started coming with me to Allentown 2 years ago, I probably wouldn't even do the 40 minute drive anymore tbh.. but she's enjoying it so I'll go so long as she wants.

Me, personally? I'd much rather have an audience of snobby patrons who behave themselves than a bunch of "Band Mom" Walmart patrons and their clanging bells and screams for little Johnny that prevents me from hearing the music from the field.

But that's just me, and I don't do Walmart if I can help it.

I've apparently missed the websites dedicated to posting pics of Sach's 5th Avenue shoppers.

Wow. Normally you and I are on the same page, but I couldn't disagree more. We need more corps. The whole "exclusivity" argument has really gained traction with fans in the past 5 years or so, and I for one am baffled by it.

We need more marching members. We need more fans in the stands. This is not a concert hall, with an intimate and nuanced connection between a small group of fans and the performers. Drum Corps, by definition and venue, is big, loud, brash and energetic - if for no other reason than to reach fans sitting 30 yards away, you *have* to be. Like I said, let's get everyone we can engaged with drum corps and bring them in to the activity, because it's a truly worthwhile experience for the members and an entertaining show for fans.

I, for one, would welcome the "Wal Mart" crowd, 'cause I am part of that. And I'd like to think that doesn't mean I can't understand or appreciate art put in front of me. But again, outdoor activity... fans 30 yards away... by its very nature, there are some things that drum corps *needs* to be more of.

Mike