Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

Dissent is the greatest form of patriotism. The claim that those who criticize the activity do not like drum corps is fatally flawed. I could go on to call you names but that would be stooping to your level of discourse.

Dissent is the greatest form of patriotism. The claim that those who criticize the activity do not like drum corps is fatally flawed. I could go on to call you names but that would be stooping to your level of discourse.

And you don't want to be accused of "badgering" him, do you?

:tounge2:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

So the people who dislike the shows somehow like drum corps more than those of us that actually like the shows. Is that fatally flawed too?

If the OP's only favorite show was SCV 2013 and he was not extremely enthusiastic about it than what could possibly please him? You have the most familiar music (from the 80's for all intents in purposes), done in the most traditional way, by one of the more formidable corps and designers in DCI. If those things are your cup of tea, then you should love SCV 2013.

People can be disgruntled as much as they want... but I see the corps and DCI changing their tune over the past few years to accommodate them. A lot of the shows we see would not have been happening if there wasn't a dissent from the fan base. DCI would not be having a press release saying that they are changing the way they are judging GE to accommodate the audience if this kind of dissent wasn't getting further than DCP. There is an obvious and tangible movement in DCI that addresses the complaints that people have had. (You cannot deny that...) And for what?

These people can complain (more power to them they have gained in influence in the direction of DCI) but their complaints need to be satiable and right now they AREN'T. Frankly, what's more annoying than a complainer is one that cannot be satisfied by any reasonable and realistic means. And that's what I think we are seeing here. Those that are expecting DCI to pull a rabbit of their ### with a show that compares to something they enjoyed and loved during the 80's (a memory which has gone many years through the rose colored filter of nostalgia of course). Frankly, they aren't being fair to themselves who have possibly changed more in 30 years than DCI has.

Edited by charlie1223

how about I was there..which is not what many can say.....ask the few here who look at the past realistically....it happend then it happens now..I also have a family that dates back in the activity to the 1940s SO yes I thi nk I have a pretty good idea of what every decades says or have said about the other..........anything do back up a difference to what I said?.........speaking of clockwork!............if the same response comes from me or anyone many times..it must be to the same type of post...maybe those who post their same rant dont mind posting it BUT dont like or expect the response..oh well...

So, in essence you really have noting to add because it's all been said before. Nothing new right? Am I missing something?

So, in essence you really have noting to add because it's all been said before. Nothing new right? Am I missing something?

on the same ole subjects? as long as they come up ( the same ) I'll answer the same...unless something is contributed that changes my mind.......are you asking me something new?

Edited by GUARDLING

That could be. I generally categorize trolls as someone who starts a topic as a blatant counter-argument to a forum (such as a "I don't like DCI World Class drum corps" topic in a DCI World Class drum corps forum), and then having actual, intelligent discourse doesn't reply to anyone's counter arguments. THAT is a discussion. You saying "I love Lincoln Continentals for these reasons," me replying, "I dislike Lincolns for these reasons, and prefer this alternative for these reasons" = a friendly discussion of disagreement. Saying "Lincoln Continentals are ginormous boats with wheels that really suck" and then not adding to the discussion = likely trolling. Had the OP debated with people with dissenting opinions, I would agree that he's not trolling. Since he hasn't, well, you know the seeing:

If it sounds like a troll and stinks like a troll, it's likely a troll.

Perc2100 - Why are you bringing up the origin of my login name? What relevance does it have? It was originally a reply to someone equating it with the musical selections of the Cadets this year.

Edited by LincolnV

Are you replying to me? Your inability to quote in your replies is a bit confusing.

If you are, your broad generalization of one (me?) as a "DCI apologist" is pretty goofy. Call me brash, call me mean, call me trolling a troll, or whatever. But NOTHING you quoted in the post before this that you apparently can't reply with speaks to apologizing for DCI.

Maybe you're a Troll Apologist?

Actually, if you have an IQ above a house plant, you can see where for some odd reason when I hit the quote button it appears above the post in a prior post. I was using an iPhone before so I must have fat fingered something. As for being a "troll" apologist apparently anyone that comes on these forums and complains is considered a troll by a small certain group that posts over and over to that point. I am not apologizing for anyone or anything. I am simply pointing out that having a forum or outlet to voice what they feel regardless is a GOOD thing.

I am a traditionalist at heart, but I will have to say that I have found the shows in 2011, 2012, and 2013 to be more audience friendly and accessible while at the same time being innovative. Certainly more so than some of the previous years.

Same here, with a few exceptions. But on the upside, for one example, I could watch Crown's show from last year every day of the week and never get tired of it.

I've seen a whole bunch of drum corps performances from the late 1960s until the present... and not all of them have wound my watch, so to speak. LOL. But overall, it's still a great activity/pastime/whatever it is we want to call it, and I still enjoy it, on all levels... DCI, all-age, alumni. When or if the day comes I don't enjoy it anymore, I'll move on. But so far, so good!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I know; he's more of a hater apologist (and a troll apologist, apparently).

How precisely does the OP have troll status on a DCI forum site? BTW, just to educate you, it does not. That being the factual case (anyone again with an IQ above a house plant knows this), how can "I" be an apologist for something that isn't? Fascinating....