The Progression of Performance Art in DCI

Yes things are incremental; yes art and culture change over time; yes we live in a rather free society; and there are many paths of art; but at some point the apple you consume becomes an apple-core and if you continue to consume the core you will die from arsenic poisoning. Whether or not y’all realize it most of the responses in this thread indicate that my concerns have some validity. That many who post on DCP desire to consume, and defend, the art which follows down the path that Gaga, her narcissistic desire to exhibit hedonism, and others like her are on; and y’all will continue to willingly consume that apple even as it turns into the core of arsenic. My concern for DCI, WGI, and the other marching arts is that since many within the marching arts eat that particular apple, and they also have a taste for consuming the core, it will at some point influence the marching arts concepts and designs as we proceed into the future.

First, some science; apple seeds contain tiny traces of cyanide, not arsenic. The amount of cyanide in the seeds is so small that it would be almost impossible to suffer injury from ingesting apple seeds. Hence, your metaphor is both erroneous in construct and pointless as illustration. Besides, who eats apple cores other than horses?

But I get your basic point, that is, your fear of a slippery slope. You fear that if we tolerate Lady Gaga's emetic boogaloo, we encourage more of the same, and eventually all of society is corrupted by these "degenerate" ideas.

So, a couple simple questions: which historical antecedents (other than Biblical) do you have in mind? How do you see this process tainting drum corps? Are you actually worried that the Blue Devils will some day puke on themselves? and WIN?? Dam you HOPKINS!

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 3

All that shows is that hedonism leads to collapse; it is erroneous to imply that the hedonism which results in the collapse is righteous behavior like the behavior which is exhibited after the collapse.

No, it was a small part of it. Trying to write all of the reasons for the economic collapse of the Depression would require a dissertation, and I don't want to write one.

And the same people who were part of the Roaring 20s became the backbone of the austerity and improvements of the 30s. That higher concerns and collaboration came from the same people who were "hedonists" in the 20s. Just shows you can't label people one way. The Dada artists didn't spend their entire lives throwing bodily fluids around as art, they were probably the same people who helped in their communities and attended church on Sunday. People and art are multi-dimensional, you can't just stick them to one definition or one path.

• Like 1

Correct; the allowance for anything goes is a bad thing. It never, never, never leads to love, peace, harmony, respect, but always leads to hedonism, narcissism, self-indulgence; always.

It used to be, anything goes except that which the cultural authorities found objectionable or debauched, including - but not limited to - things that hurt others or violate their rights.

Now, it's anything goes except things that hurt others or violate their rights.

The change is that disgusting things are allowed as long as they don't hurt people.

That's a good change.

Yes things are incremental; yes art and culture change over time; yes we live in a rather free society; and there are many paths of art; but at some point the apple you consume becomes an apple-core and if you continue to consume the core you will die from arsenic poisoning. Whether or not y’all realize it most of the responses in this thread indicate that my concerns have some validity. That many who post on DCP desire to consume, and defend, the art which follows down the path that Gaga, her narcissistic desire to exhibit hedonism, and others like her are on; and y’all will continue to willingly consume that apple even as it turns into the core of arsenic. My concern for DCI, WGI, and the other marching arts is that since many within the marching arts eat that particular apple, and they also have a taste for consuming the core, it will at some point influence the marching arts concepts and designs as we proceed into the future.

By any chance is your apple metaphor have greater meaning than at first appears?

It needs to, if it is to be valid. Because presumably most of the artists you are complaining about died in bed after long and reasonably happy lives. So it didn't poison them. Unless you are referring to what happened to them after they died.

Which in turn suggests that your real concern for DCI corps members isn't the effect a little puke-wallowing might have in their earthly lives, but in the one after.

So, they can make fun of me all they want; but will any of them admit to what they peruse through late at night on the net when nobody is watching? Thought not; but again... we are what we consume.

Wow... Things are VERY clear now.

Would you like for someone to tell you that you are the most moral righteous person on DCP because you see how the "immoral" designers, fans, and artists are going down a path towards depravity? I mean, this is probably the most judgmental thing I've ever heard on DCP and yet it's so subtle in its callousness. I appreciated the discussion before but now your sounding really self-righteous...

If you believe that anyone that does things that you disagree with is depraved and that art only progresses towards depravity than there is no convincing you otherwise. But it's simply not a valid or fair viewpoint.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Side note, was Stu giving lectures on college campuses today? There was someone out in the free speech area preaching and yelling at kids with a bullhorn that our immoral, depraved behavior was sending every student down a dark path from which there was no return. Life works in weird ways sometimes lining things up

Side note, was Stu giving lectures on college campuses today? There was someone out in the free speech area preaching and yelling at kids with a bullhorn that our immoral, depraved behavior was sending every student down a dark path from which there was no return. Life works in weird ways sometimes lining things up

What is a "free speech area"? Every area was a free speech area BITD at my college. Are the lefties who run our campuses today restricting speech? Gee what a shock. 😷

What is a "free speech area"? Every area was a free speech area BITD at my college. Are the lefties who run our campuses today restricting speech? Gee what a shock.

Just an area in the middle of campus where people can come in and do whatever kind of presentation they want with the space. Not the most open campus, so it's one of the few high-traffic areas where there's enough space for people to speak. Usually filled with crazy hippie people or the bible-thumping fire and brimstone folks. Lot of clubs rent it out for awareness presentations.

Just an area in the middle of campus where people can come in and do whatever kind of presentation they want with the space. Not the most open campus, so it's one of the few high-traffic areas where there's enough space for people to speak. Usually filled with crazy hippie people or the bible-thumping fire and brimstone folks. Lot of clubs rent it out for awareness presentations.

You are correct; that is the only place left for real free speech to occur on most university campuses. There is no room for free speech exhibited by those who disagree with the ideology presented on the rest of the campus; unless you desire at best harsh ridicule from most professors or at worst an F on your course work