What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

If DCI decided to call themselves a major league sport (and not just in a slogan) and that the corps were now teams....OK. BTW...if you read threads...lots of people here call the various corps 'teams' now.

The director of the _kid's symphonic winds group calls the various sections "teams" and the instructors of those teams are called "coaches". And this is at a local university directed by some of the oldest and most respected ex-high school music teachers in the state.

Irritates the crap out of me for some reason, but it doesn't bother the _kid.

Such endeth the lesson.

• Like 1

The director of the _kid's symphonic winds group calls the various sections "teams" and the instructors of those teams are called "coaches". And this is at a local university directed by some of the oldest and most respected ex-high school music teachers in the state.

Such endeth the lesson.

It used to bug me too until I realized that groups who come together in units, no matter the activity, actually are ‘teaming together’; and those who instruct the teams actually are ‘coaching’ those teams. So while the terms 'Marching Team’ and ‘Band Coach’ still sound kind of weird to me, that is exactly what they are and what they do.

Edited by Stu

I'd like to sincerely thank DCP and all of it's contributors. Your contributions have provided me support which has finally been accepted in applicable circles.

Being a somewhat perverse individual, and one who gravitates toward other perverse individuals, I (as well as the aforementioned individuals) decided to create our own "marching ensemble" -- for no better reason other than "just for the h### of it." We then filled our ensemble with the fullest complement of bagpipe playesr, kazoo players, noseflute players, jawsharp players (please note that I am being sincerely meticulous in fear of appearing ethnically-incorrect), musical spoon players, and a full complement of marching maraccas, which we could possibly find, coerce, or outright pay to participate.

We have (for a long time) been seeking to enter our ensemble in parade marching band competitions...only to be rebuffed (and very sadly so to us, I might add) for the rather strange reason that our special ensemble does not constitute a "marching band."

However, being the veritable Einstein that I am, I attended the past meetings of the individual parade committees and submitted to them copies of the DCP official threads which dealt with anything remotely regarding the "what constitutes a marching band" issue.

I can now triumphantly announce that our little ensemble, the "Marcning Menagerie of Musical Misfits", has been heretofore accepted as a "marching band."

I would extend futher kind words to all of you, but the (sniff) flowing tears (sniff, sniff) are rendering me, a mere mortal, unable to continue.

Edited by HornTeacher

I'd like to sincerely thank DCP and all of it's contributors. Your contributions have provided me support which has finally been accepted in applicable circles.

Being a somewhat perverse individual, and one who gravitates toward other perverse individuals, I (as well as the aforementioned individuals) decided to create our own "marching ensemble" -- for no better reason other than "just for the h### of it." We then filled our ensemble with every bagpipe player, kazoo player, noseflute player, jawsharp player (please note that I am being sincerely meticulous in fear of appearing ethnically-incorrect), musical spoon player, and a full complement of marching maraccas.

We have (for a long time) been seeking to enter our ensemble in parade marching band competitions...only to be rebuffed (and very sadly so to us, I might add) for the rather strange reason that our special ensemble does not constitute a "marching band."

However, being the veritable Einstein that I am, I attended the past meetings of the individual parade committees and submitted to them copies of the DCP official threads which dealt with anything remotely regarding the "what constitutes a marching band" issue.

I can now triumphantly announce that our little ensemble, the "Marcning Menagerie of Musical Misfits", has been heretofore accepted as a "marching band."

I would extend futher kind words to all of you, but the (sniff) flowing tears (sniff, sniff) are rendering me, a mere mortal, unable to continue.

If you are serious in this posting about your ensemble, your group can, and I think, should perform in SoundSport!!

Stu is willing to cut right to the bone. He backs it up in ways some people can't handle. He asks others to dig a little further down under the surface. ANY lively discussion board thrives on people like this. Besides, he's great for DCP's hit count! Enjoy it.

youre kidding right? :rolleyes: lively discussion ?or :tounge2: looney

Edited by GUARDLING

Such endeth the lesson.

winter guards have also been calling themselves teams for many years already

• Like 1

If you are serious in this posting about your ensemble, your group can, and I think, should perform in SoundSport!!

Ahhh...you, kind sir, have rendered the tears to be flowing unendingly. :tounge2: