What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

Does any group's 501c3 say Marching Band at the end? No, they all say Drum & Bugle Corps? Okay, guess that settles that debate.

Get the opinion of Daniel Ray on the qualifications, definitions, and missions statements within a 501c3 and then you get back with us. It will blow your mind!!!!

Edited by Stu

I am not saying that is the case. All I am saying is that those who hold to the axiom that we can name and define ourselves, and that makes us what we actually are, then DCI making the self-claim that they are sports teams has to be respected as being true by those same people. Or those people are engaging in obtuse hypocrisy.

If DCI decided to call themselves a major league sport (and not just in a slogan) and that the corps were now teams....OK. BTW...if you read threads...lots of people here call the various corps 'teams' now.

• Like 1

...lots of people here call the various corps 'teams' now.

It does signify a lot of conflicted confusion within this activity now ( no sports teams refer to themselves as " Corps" for example )

Edited by BRASSO

I didn't even read this halfway. Please stop derailing this thread. Mods? Can we do something about him?

Stu has nearly 6,000 thought-provoking and irritating posts.

You have 86 posts being irritated by Stu.

He's not broken any DCP rules of engagement.

Don't presume your influence with the mods is more than it is.

Carry on the pillow fight.

• Like 1

If DCI decided to call themselves a major league sport (and not just in a slogan) and that the corps were now teams....OK. BTW...if you read threads...lots of people here call the various corps 'teams' now.

This, of course, is merely my take on things, but I do not go by slogans or self-names. I look at an activity; evaluate what it does, what are the integral parts, what it accomplishes, and make determinations of them on that basis. Sort of like ‘If it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck’, or the phrase ‘A Rose by any other name is still a Rose’. For example: Blue Devils have members which march; and by all accounts they certainly are a collected band of musical performers using various instruments; so they are, and always have been, a form of marching band irrespective of what they want to 'title' themselves as being. Same hold true for sport; since 1972 DCI has all the elements of a sports organization, and DCI corps have all the elements of sports teams, irrespective of what they want to call themselves or what Football Coaches think of them. So, even BITD I was amused at those in DCI who railed at being considered a marching band, and I am still amused at those who rail against DCI being considered a sport.

• Like 1

Does any group's 501c3 say Marching Band at the end? No, they all say Drum & Bugle Corps? Okay, guess that settles that debate.

Actually, most of them call themselves units organized to promote youth achievement through musical performance in front of paying fans.

Not unlike most other marching musical units.

Just poking the respective bears.

:poke:

Stu is willing to cut right to the bone. He backs it up in ways some people can't handle. He asks others to dig a little further down under the surface. ANY lively discussion board thrives on people like this. Besides, he's great for DCP's hit count! Enjoy it.

• Like 1

Stu has nearly 6,000 thought-provoking and irritating posts.

You have 86 posts being irritated by Stu.

He's not broken any DCP rules of engagement.

Don't presume your influence with the mods is more than it is.

Carry on the pillow fight.

:starwars: > :fight::whip: > :whistle::innocent: > :big hug:

Well.... on second thought .... :bleah: and :poke: are way more interesting on DCP than :inlove: so where is my pillow!!!

Edited by Stu

Stu is willing to cut right to the bone. He backs it up in ways some people can't handle. He asks others to dig a little further down under the surface. ANY lively discussion board thrives on people like this. Besides, he's great for DCP's hit count! Enjoy it.

Thanks; people may not always agree with me but debate is way more interesting than sitting around a camp fire singing Kumbya, drinking the same Kool-Aid, and saying to each other, "Yep; I agree; Yep; that is right; Yep"!!!!

• Like 2

This was said a few pages ago, and it bears repeating - what are we even arguing about here? What the definition of drum and bugle corps is, or the definition of the DCI activity? Because they're not the same.

I submit that instrumentation does indeed define drum and bugle corps. I helped start an adult minicorps. We had 20 folks, about half of which never marched any DCI corps. We used Phantom's brass instruments, Racine Scouts' drums and played DCI-style arrangements of rock music in addition to some older corps material. We didn't tour thousands of miles, we didn't educate young people, and we sure as heck didn't spend hours and hours each day rehearsing. However, I would argue to death against anyone who would say we weren't a drum and bugle corps.

Now DCI, however... that's a different story. DCI corps *are* defined more by the experience, I think. Just as all drum corps are band, but not all bands are corps, then all DCI corps are D&B's, but not all D&B's are DCI corps. (Well, besides the obvious 'membership in the circuit' thing...)

Mike

• Like 2