What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

The second someone starts high-stepping like that, things will get weird.

Ohio State band performs to an actual ‘packed’, as in all the way around, stadium of 100,000 screaming fans many times each year; HBCU bands perform to a completely packed, again as in all the way around, Georgia Dome NFL stadium at the Battle of the Bands each year. Hmmmmm… what does that say about DCI which, um, supposedly ‘packs the house’ by just placing butts in the seats on just one of four sides at Lucas?

Probably also because the entire end zone was being torn out and rebuilt. So a large portion of the stadium was closed off, squeezing everyone into a smaller area.

Again... it is the issue that 25,000 squeezed in together into one single-tier has way, way, way more crowd energy that 30,000 spread out over three-tiers all looking straight at 50,000 empty seats in a pro stadium!!!

Again... it is the issue that 25,000 squeezed in together into one single-tier has way, way, way more crowd energy that 30,000 spread out over three-tiers all looking straight at 50,000 empty seats in a pro stadium!!!

Okay. Fine. You win. Do you want a cookie or something? Your definition of packed is way better than anyone else's

• Like 4

The second someone starts high-stepping like that, things will get weird.

Haha!

Corps have done high-stepping pretty recently, but yes, it would be weird to see that kind of high stepping at a DCI show.

Do you ever take anything not 100% literally? They've packed the home sides of stadiums multiple times, check out Finals from 2005 or 2001.

fsubone is correct. The home sides of stadiums have been packed at several venues that I've been to. I remember Murfreesboro being packed home side in 2002.

Flip side is that was a college stadium, but the top college stadiums are LARGER than most to all NFL stadiums.

Point taken that DCI corps perform in front of larger crowds at the regionals, but that doesn't define them as drum corps. BOA regionals are pretty large as well, and a typical FBS College marching band performs in front of a much larger audience each Saturday.

No trolling here, but for me. It's all about the instrumentation, coupled with the quality and timbres of the sound of the instruments that are being produced, that define any musical ensemble for me.

The DCI experience is a wonderful thing. The history is a wonderful thing as well. ...but similar concepts to all of those things (work ethic, performance, brotherhood, family, et cetera) can be had in other activities and organizations; but not the instrumentation.

It's okay though. We'll all disagree. I'll still believe what I believe. I'll still like marching band (generally), and I'll still like DCI corps too (generally).

• Like 1

Okay. Fine. You win. Do you want a cookie or something? Your definition of packed is way better than anyone else's

fine you win.....unbelievable.......happy?...now we can move on instead of like said above we dont need pages of the nonsense..........i also thinking in general....to avoid the boredom of the same issue and KNOWING where its headed once again..we just dont respond.....its an easier way to shut it down then waiting for a mod to do it...........im gonna try....as hard as that may be.....lol :augen51:.....................you knew how he meant it Stu

kA71pH2.gif

I'll still like marching band (generally), and I'll still like DCI corps too (generally)

You will still like marching band and DCI corps; ok. But here is the million $ question: Will you like marching corps and DCI band? :w00t:

kA71pH2.gif

I know, but life is about picking the right hill to die on. Have to pick the right argument to carry on with, this one just didn't seem like it would be productive, just banging heads against a wall.

There is really no one definition for what DCI is or isn't. Every person comes to the activity for a different reason, and with different expectations of what they'll get out of it. Trying to break it all down to poll answers is like trying to quantify love or music down into an A/B/C/D answer. Everyone will feel differently, and no answer can really be 100% accurate, since it's usually a mix of them all.

• Like 3