What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

Here is something that ties into the complexity: Why is Ohio State ‘obviously’ not a drum corps? If you say scholastic affiliation is the reason, well Spirit was tied to JSU and Academy is currently tied to a Fine Arts Academy; if you say style is the reason, well there are already huge variations of style between say Phantom Regiment and Jersey Surf; if you say heritage is the reason, well units in DCI come from a variety of heritages not just one heritage; if you say experience is the reason, well every program from Ohio State to the Bluecoats is educational, intense, travels, builds comrade friendships, performs in front of hundreds of thousands of fans; If you say instrumentation is the reason, well maybe barely for now, but once any DCI unit uses woodwinds there will be no difference there; so why is Ohio State ‘obviously’ not a drum corps?

Because they call themselves TBDBITL, not TBDCITL.

• Like 1

It's getting a little irritating how some on this forum seem to have adapted the "if you don't agree with me you're a troll and only my opinion counts" attitude. Mods, can we please censor anyone calling on the mods to censor someone?

(except me of course)

Edited by BozzlyB

But it is still an educational 'school' for the fine arts.

Yes, but one set up by the corps, and I believe the money from it and for it is run straight through the corps, unlike Spirit's involvement with JSU.

It's getting a little irritating how some on this forum seem to have adapted the "if you don't agree with me you're a troll and only my opinion counts" attitude. Mods, can we please censor anyone calling on the mods to censor someone?

Censoring someone asking for censorship. That's some crazy dividing by zero level stuff

Because they call themselves TBDBITL, not TBDCITL.

DCI 'claimed' to be a sport indirectly with Summer Games and Marching Music Major League, and directly named a sub-set within DCI SoundSport. So if what they call temselves defines them, then DCI corps are sports teams via playing games in a major league, especially Star United is a sports team which engages in SoundSport.

DCI 'claimed' to be a sport indirectly with Summer Games and Marching Music Major League, and directly named a sub-set within DCI SoundSport. So if what they call temselves defines them, then DCI corps are sports teams via playing games in a major league, especially Star United is a sports team which engages in SoundSport.

If that is what you think, fine by me.

Most of the rest of us will just call them drum corps competing in Drum Corps International.

• Like 3

Does any group's 501c3 say Marching Band at the end? No, they all say Drum & Bugle Corps? Okay, guess that settles that debate.

• Like 1

Censoring someone asking for censorship. That's some crazy dividing by zero level stuff

The mods can censor anyone they want because it is their sandbox we are playing in; and if I had called him an a** and posted a photo of the rear end of a horse making things personal it would be a different matter. But for a person who claims to be open minded and tolerant calling for censorship of someone who merely disagrees with a position they have is rather hypocritical.

Sarcasm often finds itself in that category.

If that is what you think, fine by me.

Most of the rest of us will just call them drum corps competing in Drum Corps International.

I am not saying that is the case. All I am saying is that those who hold to the axiom that we can name and define ourselves, and that makes us what we actually are, then DCI making the self-claim that they are sports teams has to be respected as being true by those same people. Or those people are engaging in obtuse hypocrisy.