What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

You're right, it's a simple question, but a kind of complex answer. I think all three answers above are what defines drum corps, though instrumentation is the lease of the three (Ohio State Marching Band has very similar instrumentation but is obviously not a drum corps).

Here is something that ties into the complexity: Why is Ohio State ‘obviously’ not a drum corps? If you say scholastic affiliation is the reason, well Spirit was tied to JSU and Academy is currently tied to a Fine Arts Academy; if you say style is the reason, well there are already huge variations of style between say Phantom Regiment and Jersey Surf; if you say heritage is the reason, well units in DCI come from a variety of heritages not just one heritage; if you say experience is the reason, well every program from Ohio State to the Bluecoats is educational, intense, travels, builds comrade friendships, performs in front of hundreds of thousands of fans; If you say instrumentation is the reason, well maybe barely for now, but once any DCI unit uses woodwinds there will be no difference there; so why is Ohio State ‘obviously’ not a drum corps?

• Like 1

Here is something that ties into the complexity: Why is Ohio State ‘obviously’ not a drum corps? If you say scholastic affiliation is the reason, well Spirit was tied to JSU and Academy is currently tied to a Fine Arts Academy; if you say style is the reason, well there are already huge variations of style between say Phantom Regiment and Jersey Surf; if you say heritage is the reason, well units in DCI come from a variety of heritages not just one heritage; if you say experience is the reason, well every program from Ohio State to the Bluecoats is educational, intense, travels, builds comrade friendships, performs in front of hundreds of thousands of fans; If you say instrumentation is the reason, well maybe barely for now, but once any DCI unit uses woodwinds there will be no difference there; so why is Ohio State ‘obviously’ not a drum corps?

It's the circuit silly!

BTW, Ohio State doesn't have an woodwinds in their fall marching band either. Spring marching band, yes. Pep band, yes. Fall Marching band, NO.

It's the circuit silly!

BTW, Ohio State doesn't have an woodwinds in their fall marching band either. Spring marching band, yes. Pep band, yes. Fall Marching band, NO.

Hmmmm... if it is the 'circuit' which defines them then all musical units who engage in SoundSport, like Star United, are sports teams; correct?

Because reality.

Although I'll give you this:

From the inside out, it's obvious.

From the outside in, it's not.

• Like 1

I think the Fine Arts group Academy is tied to is something they started. I think that's how they got the ball rolling actually.

Because reality.

Although I'll give you this:

From the inside out, it's obvious.

From the outside in, it's not.

Remeber folks I did not bring this word into the thread: Your reasoning is because it is 'reality'? But people, well educated PHD people mind you, are also telling me that 'perception is reality'; that 'truth is relative'. So the relative truth within the perception of reality is that the Ohio State marching ensemble 'is' a Drum & Bugle Corps and the Blue Devils performing ensemble 'is' a marching band as long as someone perceives them to be those things. Or, is perception 'not' reality and is truth 'not' relitive?

Edited by Stu

Remeber folks I did not bring this word into the thread: Your reasoning is because it is 'reality'? But people, well educated PHD people mind you, are also telling me that 'perception is reality'; that 'truth is relative'. So the relative truth within the perception of reality is that the Ohio State marching ensemble 'is' a Drum & Bugle Corps and the Blue Devils performing ensemble 'is' a marching band as long as someone perceives them to be those things. Or, is perception 'not' reality and is truth 'not' relitive?

I didn't even read this halfway. Please stop derailing this thread. Mods? Can we do something about him?