Why won't DCI follow this type of path?

I'll leave you with this thought.

If I go to a rock concert, I go to a shell, and I see 5 performers with 50 roadies perform for 2.5 hours, and I pay more than a DCI ticket.

If I go to a 7-corps show, I go to a stadium, and I see 1,050 performers with 300 roadies perform for 2.5 hours for a cheaper ticket.

If you wonder why the drum corps business is difficult, re-read the prior two sentences.

You're either saying that you're an idiot for overpaying to see a rock concert, or you get terrific value from an evening of drum corps entertainment. I can't tell.

But if you're saying that DCI should increase ticket prices to that of an average rock concert, I'm hoping you also understand the dynamic of supply and demand. A better solution is to cut ticket prices after finding a sponsor to underwrite the activity, but that's not the easy, low-hanging fruit that increasing ticket prices is, right? Or are you suggesting that by increasing ticket prices we'll pack the stadiums?

I'm not sure you've left us with anything other than some rambling thoughts that border between irrelevant and misinformed. If you have suggestions for solutions I'd love to read them, but I didn't see any here at all.

And I suppose that the best golfers on the PGA tour have never been "sent out" by the PGA to do lessons, demonstrations, exhibitions, right?

Isn't that just maximizing the talent you have available?

Why do you paint the most successful corps into a more nefarious corner because they do the same thing?

Furthermore, although the drum corps kids aren't paid, per-se, they do get recognition and, in some cases, credit against corps dues for promoting their corps. (Age-outs probably earn a per-diem.)

So, what's wrong with that?

BTW...the PGA had revenue of 1,100,000,000 in 2012 and donated about 130,000,000 to charity.

Why do people kep on looking at billion dollar entities as though they have anything in common with DCI?

• Like 2

I play right field, thank you.

i was thinking third in the Abbott and Costello version myself

So, drum corps should start giving away revenues, or find some other charity to support to attract sponsors and fans? This comparison makes no sense in this context. Golf makes huge profits, period. That the PGA pays itself handsomely and avoids taxes by being a 501c3 is not the issue. The product is. Drum corps doesn't need (or want, frankly) the scale of the PGA to be successful. (I'd guess there are more golfers than there are kids in band in this country). Does that mean we can't use some of their business-savvy? Of course not, but comparing drum corps to the PGA is a frivolous as is comparing drum corps to NASCAR.

And your use of the word "subsidized" bothers the crap out of me. Maybe it's semantics, but I don't think you'd find Dave Gibbs characterizing his business acumen as being "subsidized". And you can't just throw out bingo as if it's not worthy. Those corps with successful bingo operations ARE being the PGA, funding their charities through capitalizing on the demand for a product. Those California businessmen deserve credit for tapping a market available to them. It's no more "subsidizing" than car washes are to the Boston Crusaders.

where the PGA succeeds that DCI doesn't is the level of sponsorship $$ they get from their tour event partners.That's why the players make big bucks, and a DCI corps gets what...$3k max to attend a show?

BTW...the PGA had revenue of 1,100,000,000 in 2012 and donated about 130,000,000 to charity.

Why do people kep on looking at billion dollar entities as though they have anything in common with DCI?

they don't research that deep

Why do people insist DCI cannot possibly have anything in common with a successful operation?

Why do people insist DCI cannot possibly have anything in common with a successful operation?

Who said DCI is not successful? Not every successful entity is in the billion dollar range. It is just silly to try and compare them.

• Like 1

where the PGA succeeds that DCI doesn't is the level of sponsorship $$ they get from their tour event partners.That's why the players make big bucks, and a DCI corps gets what...$3k max to attend a show?

Are you using "tour event partner" in the DCI context?

Can you describe the PGA structure that makes it different?

Doesn't it still come down to the number of fans who attend the event?

I don't know how much Muirfield pays to host a PGA stop, but I suspect they make those fees, and profit, from the tickets they sell.

Should DCI increase TEP contract fees? Is that what you're saying?

As expenses will CONTINUE to rise for both DCI and its performers, they are also rising in households across America, home of the potential audience. I fear, as so often happened in the past, individual ticket prices will be raised. To me, that step should be a final option. It's an easy fix, but could result in shrinking the size of the new customer pool. I believe drum corps has played that card too often already.

Again, expanding the pay-per-view revenue will be key. That way, people can have their "fix" and lessen the total amount they spend on travel, hotels, etc. For example, a couple's typical trip to Indy could require roughly $2500, when most of that outlay goes to entities outside of DCI and its corps. Their pay-per-view purchase still provides DCI most of the same cut it would have received had the customers participated in person.

Are you using "tour event partner" in the DCI context?

Can you describe the PGA structure that makes it different?

Doesn't it still come down to the number of fans who attend the event?

I don't know how much Muirfield pays to host a PGA stop, but I suspect they make those fees, and profit, from the tickets they sell.

Should DCI increase TEP contract fees? Is that what you're saying?

I think he means these partners: http://www.pgatour.com/company/partners.html

As well as the sponsor for each event on the tour. Names like Cadillac, Mercedes, IBM, UPS and on and on.

Finally all these "big name" sports events sell the broadcast rights for big dollars. Heck the NCAA is mostly about the broadcast rights to basketball tournament. All the other stuff came much later.

There's just not audience demand for DCI events (which is why DCI had to PAY a network to carry their event vs. getting PAID for the right to broadcast it).

Edited by corpsband