Controversy in WGI and DCI

Yes, but I am not talking about WGI. My guess, the overwhelming majority of audience goers in the summer that attend DCI Drum Corps shows have never been to a WGI show, and close to half the audience goers have no idea what the letters " WGI " even stand for. So my remarks are geared to DCI here, not to what some entity is doing somewhere.

hmmmm well I'm not so sure of that. WGI has a huge presence in DCI between members, judges, most staff, and yes even the audience I do think that most would know exactly who WGI is BUT back to DCI there are probably less controversial shows BUT also that can be individual . Like some have said PR 08 to some might be controversial , BD for other reasons, Cadets, for their director...lol...could be lots of things.

What bothers me is the thought that some might expect Corps and their Corps staff to shy away from a given subject matter merely because it might ruffle some feathers, and thus, drive away business. Maybe it will -- maybe it won't.

I thought the same thing when a" controversial" Corps Director decided that he'd ban the use of some traditional Guard equipment because it might do just what you state here" bothers you", ie..." the thought that it could ruffle some feathers, and might drive some business away". I think its silly to buckle under to perceived controversy where no controversy seems imminent, nor much controversy present in the first place.

Edited by BRASSO

hmmmm well I'm not so sure of that. WGI has a huge presence in DCI between members, judges, most staff, and yes even the audience

. I have little doubt that DCI marchers, judges, DCI staff know who WGI is ( never stated above anything otherwise ). My remarks above were totally in the realm of re. audiences in DCI, and DCI audiences moving forward. I will remain with my assessment and observation above that more than half the audiences in the summer at the DCI shows have never been to a WGI show, and as a result, don't care what goes on in a world they literally know nothing about. If you think that more than half the people that buy tickets to DCI summer shows have been to a WGI show in their lives, then we'll just agree to disagree on this point.... no problem.

Edited by BRASSO

. I have little doubt that DCI marchers, judges, DCI staff know who WGI is ( never stated above anything otherwise ). My remarks above were totally in the realm of re. audiences in DCI, and DCI audiences moving forward. I will remain with my assessment and observation above that more than half the audiences in the summer at the DCI shows have never been to a WGI show, and as a result, don't care what goes on in a world they literally know nothing about. If you think that more than half the people that buy tickets to DCI summer shows have been to a WGI show in their lives, then we'll just agree to disagree on this point.... no problem.

i would challenge audience members also. Even lonley little High Schools know WGI and when WGI is present at a DCI show the booth is jammed and not just by mm......so we disagree , no biggie

Edited by GUARDLING

If you mean growing a national audience for WGI and DCI with fans of musical art which has a sense of virtue like U2 or the Lt. Dan Band then I agree; however, if you mean growing a national audience for WGI and DCI with fans of the lowest common denominator of human decadence like Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus then I respectfully disagree.

No Stu.. I make no judgement on the makeup of audiences, nor on their personal tastes. I make the observation in a reply to a poster above that stated that controversial shows bring audiences, and they stay.That was my reply. There is nothing to " respectfully disagree " with me on here, as the 2 options you have provided to me, I've made no comment on here.

• Like 1

No Stu.. I make no judgement on the makeup of audiences, nor on their personal tastes. I make the observation in a reply to a poster above that stated that controversial shows bring audiences, and they stay.That was my reply. There is nothing to " respectfully disagree " with me on here, as the 2 options you have provided to me, I've made no comment on here.

But I do make such a judgment; I for one do not want to see DCI and WGI 'grow' in national audience if it means having to construct more and more shows in a manner to appease the Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Allen Ginsberg fan base mind-set. Would I create a rule forbidding those shows? No. But I would also much rather see DCI and WGI become self-service gas station franchises then go in the direction of lowered common denominator stanadards to gain more audience.

Edited by Stu

But I do make such a judgment; I for one do not want to see DCI and WGI 'grow' in national audience if it means having to construct more and more shows in a manner to appease the Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus fan base mind-set. I would much rather DCI and WGI become self-service gas station franchises.

This is certainly in your domain.. although, imo the chances that Lady Gaga or Milley Cyrus fanatics are going to start showing up in droves to future DCI shows probably has the same chance that Arturo Sandoval , Tine Thing Helseth, or Itzhak Perlman fans are going to start showing up in big droves at Milley Cyrus concerts. In other words, not a chance. So basically, I wouldn't sweat something that seems highly unlikely to ever occur anytime soon, Stu

This is certainly in your domain.. although, imo the chances that Lady Gaga or Milley Cyrus fanatics are going to start showing up in droves to future DCI shows probably has the same chance that Arturo Sandoval , Tine Thing Helseth, or Itzhak Perlman fans are going to start showing up in big droves at Milley Cyrus concerts. In other words, not a chance. So basically, I wouldn't sweat something that seems highly unlikely to ever occur anytime soon, Stu

Then answer me this: Why are more and more WGI show concepts looking like a combination of Mylie Cyrus, Madonna, and Lady Gaga sexual implied body movements/costume designs, and less and less like other musical/movement performance stage productions?

Then answer me this: Why are more and more WGI show concepts looking like a combination of Mylie Cyrus, Madonna, and Lady Gaga sexual implied body movements/costume designs, and less and less like other musical/movement performance stage productions?

Not to sound like Warden Norton of "Shawshank Redemption," but...

Praise God and Hallelujuah!!! Miley is the answer to ALL of our problems!!! Maybe it will even save Fictitious.

• Like 3