Controversy in WGI and DCI

The Yankee Rebels 1969 did have more than one Color Guard In a way. The UNION side had the Guard in authentic copies of Union Civil War Soldiers. They carried Flags that were "Navy Jacks". A flag of all Blue with 50 white stars. It is still used today on the bow of a U S Navy ship when in port. The South Confederate side Guard wore authentic copies of Confederate uniforms, and used (a look alike) South's Confederate Battle Flags. -> BUT <- WITH NO STARS in the blue X. The Honor guard did carry a Regular Confederate Battle Flag. Something many did not notice is it was able to be Lowered to 1/2 staff, at the End of the show. So Everything thing was done in a good historical way.

(I want to say. It had people on BOTH SIDES, Standing, Cheering, Crying and just blown away. It just had to be seen. How it just took over the stadium and all in it,. This in -> 1969 <- I saw in Person, with 45 yard line seats, in Both New Jersey and Georgia. A first in Theme shows.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

suggestive for way back then wasnt it? ...lol ( push push ) etre' was great POC beyond the rainbow was a fav. of mine watch later years of Northern lights...Road to Perdition, and john Lennon...fantastic

I thought that as well about it being suggestive!

I love PoC's Beyond the Rainbow - it's so frantic until the end. There is a video of PoC practicing it on Michael Gaine's YouTube channel.

I remember watching "Road to Perdition" on YT until it got yanked. What a great guard!

Another show I love.....Fantasia's 2004 "Vanishing Act" - the story behind it is quite touching.

And the Little Rascals was the most progressive thing to come out of the movies in the 30s. But have a DVD with a silent LR short where they called an Italian friend by a not so nice ethnic term "we have a #### freind who makes these".

Edited by LincolnV

:worthy:

who is the genius who said "maybe we'll just leave one person standing there, looking at the audience -- maybe that would be effective". dear god in heaven. made *me* want to scream :-)

that show is also a great example of "to hell with the dvd and copyrights -- we HAVE to use this music". most times i agree with the posters here who complain about the DVD being ruined. but there ARE exceptions. NL Imagine is certainly one of them.

couldnt agree more

I thought that as well about it being suggestive!

I love PoC's Beyond the Rainbow - it's so frantic until the end. There is a video of PoC practicing it on Michael Gaine's YouTube channel.

I remember watching "Road to Perdition" on YT until it got yanked. What a great guard!

Another show I love.....Fantasia's 2004 "Vanishing Act" - the story behind it is quite touching.

vanishing act was great. I had a few HS students who graduated the year before and marched that show...great show and alot behind it . I'm one of the rare drum corps /winterguard people who dont usually ever go back looking at old videos or dvds ( even though I get them free every year but you have me looking again at some of these, maybe through fresh ( could be younger eyes, thanks ) and I just watched vaishing act again...breathtaking .

Edited by GUARDLING

vanishing act was great. I had a few HS students who graduated the year before and marched that show...great show and alot behind it . I'm one of the rare drum corps /winterguard people who dont usually ever go back looking at old videos or dvds ( even though I get them free every year but you have me looking again at some of these, maybe through fresh ( could be younger eyes, thanks ) and I just watched vaishing act again...breathtaking .

Some of the newer stuff I've watched doesn't get the same reaction from me as older shows.

I won't mention the name, but one I just watched seemed to consist of 30 people doing their own individual thing, jumping around and dancing with periodic very small ensemble moments. It left me scratching my head more than anything. I'll have to watch again because there are many times I've changed my mind about a show after multiple viewings.

I enjoy looking at older shows. I have the Legacy collection and haven't even come close to watching everything yet. Sometimes people will mention stuff on here and I'll pull out the DVD to get a look.

Some of the newer stuff I've watched doesn't get the same reaction from me as older shows.

I won't mention the name, but one I just watched seemed to consist of 30 people doing their own individual thing, jumping around and dancing with periodic very small ensemble moments. It left me scratching my head more than anything. I'll have to watch again because there are many times I've changed my mind about a show after multiple viewings.

I enjoy looking at older shows. I have the Legacy collection and haven't even come close to watching everything yet. Sometimes people will mention stuff on here and I'll pull out the DVD to get a look.

well some of the older shows are easier to read for sure BUT some newer need to be seen in person sometimes to appreciate. There seems to be somewhat of a re direction to a combo of new and old this year Onyx the past several years were a one man shows for sure But this year alot different. Years ago, I remember as a young instructor, if multiple things were going on they told you it didnt have focus , a few years later that same thing became 1 dimensional , then only vignette's with multi layering was only accepted with the WGI flag block ending. Now seems to be heading more of a mis mosh of it all which is better.IMO

Edited by GUARDLING

suggestive for way back then wasnt it? ...lol ( push push ) etre' was great POC beyond the rainbow was a fav. of mine watch later years of Northern lights...Road to Perdition, and john Lennon...fantastic

Yes to 1999 POC beyond the rainbow and Fantasia's Rite of Spring, a controversial ballet for 100 years. I'm enjoying all of the suggestions. We should promote drum corps and winter guard more.

Controversy usually sells an obscure idea and once they're there, they'll keep coming back for more.

• Like 3

Yes to 1999 POC beyond the rainbow and Fantasia's Rite of Spring, a controversial ballet for 100 years. I'm enjoying all of the suggestions. We should promote drum corps and winter guard more.

Controversy usually sells an obscure idea and once they're there, they'll keep coming back for more.

yep yep yep...how boring without it !

Father Webster to the rescue. Thanks, Dad! :silly:

you're welcome son. is your homework done?