Controversy in WGI and DCI

Yes, we in the United States live in freedom and the first amendment to the Constitution states that the government can make no laws abridging free speech. However, with that freedom comes much responsibility and even the framers realized that complete unfettered speech is nothing more than a utopian theoretical construct. There was never any intent at all, ever, by the framers to allow for 'complete unregulated speech'; for example liable, slander, compelling someone to do harm, and many other forms of speech certainly are, and should be, censored. DCP censors; WGI censors, DCI censors. They have to or anarchy arises. Want proof? Name one culture, just one, which has engaged in complete unfettered speech without some form of censorship and then show us that culture has not fallen into anarchy. So for all of you living in the la la land of the theoretical please realize there is no such thing as unfettered uncensored speech anywhere in this temporal world we live.

hell anarchy hits here from June to August even with moderators "editing" stuff

:tounge2:

Yes, but I am not talking about WGI. My guess, the overwhelming majority of audience goers in the summer that attend DCI Drum Corps shows have never been to a WGI show, and close to half the audience goers have no idea what the letters " WGI " even stand for. So my remarks are geared to DCI here, not to what some entity is doing somewhere.

I think far more know what WGI is. I'll grant you attendance may not be as high, but name recoginition is there. WGI is what....36 or so years old now? I'm huessing more people going to DCI shows know about WGI than they do DCA

• Like 1

But I do make such a judgment; I for one do not want to see DCI and WGI 'grow' in national audience if it means having to construct more and more shows in a manner to appease the Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Allen Ginsberg fan base mind-set. Would I create a rule forbidding those shows? No. But I would also much rather see DCI and WGI become self-service gas station franchises then go in the direction of lowered common denominator stanadards to gain more audience.

so, were you this upset in the 70's when Manilow, the Carpenters, etc filled the reps corps played every year?

Because to many in the 70's that music was the lowest form out there.

Then answer me this: Why are more and more WGI show concepts looking like a combination of Mylie Cyrus, Madonna, and Lady Gaga sexual implied body movements/costume designs, and less and less like other musical/movement performance stage productions?

sex sells.

• Like 1

This is just flat out misinformation. Completely utterly false.

There's a clear pattern developing with this users's posts. Not gonna go any further than that. But its bloody obvious why he keeps seeing things that no one else seems to see.

FWIW most guards I see (both locally, WGI, and youtube) seem to be very sensitive to the performers wearing their uniforms. Sure there are a few idiots who ignore their kids (and their body types) and put them into less than flattering uniforms but the vast, vast majority of instructors are very aware of what they put on their kids.

As for dance, my guess is that ballet -- any ballet -- is overtly sexual to the poster in question. In fact the vast, vast majority of guard shows don't contain sexual innuendo at all. Few designers go any where NEAR that sort of dance or programming. Why? Because most guards are scholastic; the performers have parents; the parents go to the shows. And most parents are more than willing to go complain to a school administrator about what Johnny or Suzie are being asked to do.

as an administrator in a local circuit who sees hundreds of guards in a season, I agree with this post 1000000000000000000000000%

Again, erroneous assumptions based on nothing more than incorrectly analyzing a few of my postings on an obscure site called DCP. I took kids to go see the ballet The Nutcracker this past December and did not see any on-stage behavior whatsoever implying any sexual movement, and I have no objections to a winter guard show based on The Nutcracker being performed in front of youth; on the other hand no way would I take kids to go see the Broadway production of Equus with its sexual content and nudity, nor would I want kids to be in attendance and see a winter guard show based on that production; so your ‘guess’ is way out to lunch. And as for seeing a trend in sexual exploration in pushing the limits of show design I am not talking about the Scholastic Guards, most of them have to answer to school boards and community standards, but I am mainly referring to the Independents; and especially in the realm of the IW where adults are constructing more and more adult context show designs yet still performing them in front of a general audience which has many teenagers and youth in attendance. And please note, and read this carefully, I have no issues if those IW guards, as adults, perform adult contextual show designs for other adults; it is the ever increasing pushing the sexual and other adult issue boundaries within IW show design and then performing those shows in front of youth I have an issue with.

hmmm. I've seen 2 IW guards live, and most online. I'm trying to think of any this past year that fit your description of sexual exploration. Please cite examples.

hmmm. I've seen 2 IW guards live, and most online. I'm trying to think of any this past year that fit your description of sexual exploration. Please cite examples.

Probably something about men and women being on the floor together. if they get too close, they might hold hands. And holding hands leads to pregnancy. It happens.

• Like 4

Again, erroneous assumptions based on nothing more than incorrectly analyzing a few of my postings on an obscure site called DCP. I took kids to go see the ballet The Nutcracker this past December and did not see any on-stage behavior whatsoever implying any sexual movement, and I have no objections to a winter guard show based on The Nutcracker being performed in front of youth; on the other hand no way would I take kids to go see the Broadway production of Equus with its sexual content and nudity, nor would I want kids to be in attendance and see a winter guard show based on that production; so your ‘guess’ is way out to lunch. And as for seeing a trend in sexual exploration in pushing the limits of show design I am not talking about the Scholastic Guards, most of them have to answer to school boards and community standards, but I am mainly referring to the Independents; and especially in the realm of the IW where adults are constructing more and more adult context show designs yet still performing them in front of a general audience which has many teenagers and youth in attendance. And please note, and read this carefully, I have no issues if those IW guards, as adults, perform adult contextual show designs for other adults; it is the ever increasing pushing the sexual and other adult issue boundaries within IW show design and then performing those shows in front of youth I have an issue with.

I guess you would not want to see a HS musical produce versions of "Cabaret", "Sweet Charity" or "Gypsy" either, and we'll have to change the name of one show to "Darn Yankees".

• Like 1

funny. one of the most talked about shows for WGI Percussion this year was Dartmouth HS, which had some Lady Gaga in it...and a beheading. I know people who once they saw clips appear online, they made plans to go to Dayton to see it.

"Now, if they had beheaded Lady Gaga they would be on to something", he said for humorous purposes only.

funny. one of the most talked about shows for WGI Percussion this year was Dartmouth HS, which had some Lady Gaga in it...and a beheading. I know people who once they saw clips appear online, they made plans to go to Dayton to see it.

Well. that must've left FSUbones and a couple of other posters flummoxed with this news, as they have just about had their fill of shows with any killings in them... and a " beheading ".. whoa....is now totally out of the question as they've apparently seen way too much of that stuff lately in DCI as we've learned the last couple of weeks. And thats cool too... but as you just mentioned now, some people quickly signed up to go to WGI finals in Dayton primarily and essentially BECAUSE it was guaranteed to have at least some beheadings and gore and/ or gaga for them at the show..

Edited by BRASSO