Controversy in WGI and DCI

1) *kicking self for using word "progressive" which lead things in the wrong direction* Should have just been blunt and said less racist/more "color blind".

2) One of the loudest crowd reactions in DCI IMO was start of Bridgemens Civil War show at Birmingham. I dunno... ya play part of "Dixie" loud and proud and crowd eats it up. BTW Spirit of Atlanta at end of "Sweet Georgia Brown" concert number had a sop play a tag of part of "Dixie". Probably 2nd loudest cheer that night.

3) Irony discussing race just after seeing my dad tonight. He's a Korean War vet which was when the Army intergrated. Long story short he ended up being one of the few white guys in a formerly all Black outfit while still a teenager. Gives a person a different perspective on things which he passed on to his kids.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1) *kicking self for using word "progressive" which lead things in the wrong direction* Should have just been blunt and said "less racist".

2) One of the loudest crowd reactions in DCI IMO was start of Bridgemens Civil War show at Birmingham. I dunno... ya play part of "Dixie" loud and proud and crowd eats it up. BTW Spirit of Atlanta at end of "Sweet Georgia Brown" concert number had a sop play a tag of part of "Dixie". Probably 2nd loudest cheer that night.

3) Irony discussing race just after seeing my dad tonight. He's a Korean War vet which was when the Army intergrated. Long story short he ended up being one of the few white guys in a formerly all Black outfit while still a teenager. Gives a person a different perspective on things which he passed on to his kids.

at the end of the 79 show and the cicil war with the south winning, the guard also pick up individual letters spelling out Bye Bye Y'all...another thunderous applause. done only at finals

Edited by GUARDLING

Either bad memory or PBS cameras didn't catch that too well...... Oh wait... 1979... that was the year my Sr corps did a parade in a monsoon and then rode 80 miles to a show that was postponed until Sunday. Came back home (another 80 miles) just as the PBS show was starting.... Well just as Reliable Rondo was saying "After they age out they can't do drum corps anymore", Back out in the rain so I could yell not so nice words wondering if Rondo considered my day not doing Drum Corps.... Well I couldn't get much wetter anyway...

That year I was drying out, grabbing food, getting stuff ready to ride back (again) first thing in the AM in between corps. All the time saying "this is called fun"......

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Don't know why Bridgemen changed things.

I DO know I saw the Yankee Rebels at Jersey City in the Dream do: "Requiem For an Era", and the crowd went BoZo Crazy for the show. I said to my self. "Wonder how that is going to go over at American Legion Nationals in ATLANTA, GEORGIA".

So their I was at Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA. "in 1969 Charlie Kammer presented the corps with a complete program of North/South Civil War tunes. This was to be the Yankee Rebels’ theme. The corps would attempt to perform a battle on the contest field with two armies playing North-South music."

And I Quote. " The crowd applauded for over ten minutes at the conclusion of that memorable show. The Yankee Rebels won not only the show but also the hearts of the drum corps world. "

They did not change a thing from the Dream in Jersey City, NJ!!!!!

• Like 2

I DO know I saw the Yankee Rebels at Jersey City in the Dream do: "Requiem For an Era", and the crowd went BoZo Crazy for the show. I said to my self. "Wonder how that is going to go over at American Legion Nationals in ATLANTA, GEORGIA".

So their I was at Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA. "in 1969 Charlie Kammer presented the corps with a complete program of North/South Civil War tunes. This was to be the Yankee Rebels’ theme. The corps would attempt to perform a battle on the contest field with two armies playing North-South music."

And I Quote. " The crowd applauded for over ten minutes at the conclusion of that memorable show. The Yankee Rebels won not only the show but also the hearts of the drum corps world. "

Bridgemen? the war scene was changed going into the south. Staff felt( just to go against the norm and to actually take liberty to re- write history ) had the south win. Just going against the grain .and just being Bridgemen..not sure if you were asking that..lol

The Dream Contest that year was very muddy and rainy I remember and the Bridgemen heading south next decided to NOT wear pants but the long coats covered them, UNTIL the shuffle which they turn their backs to the stands and bent over. Well that was fine but the coats had a split in the back, like most do and BAM!!!!!... moon in the afternoon...lol crowd went crazy

thinking about it now didn't Yankee Rebels carry rebel flags? and have one in the A squad? Now that would cause a stir today for sure.

Edited by GUARDLING

I went to wgi.org to check out how much a copy of the 2002 Independant World DVD would be.

The DVD does not include the 2nd and 4th place groups (Pride of Cincinnati and San Jose Raiders) "due to copyright restrictions." Pride used Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" but I don't know what music San Jose Raiders.

Does anyone remember what music San Jose Raiders used?

San Jose Raiders music had a spanish flavour. It was drum corps familiar, like Malaga or Malaguena? I decided to view some of 1992 tonight. SJR performed to 'Good Morning America'. Blue Devils had a Joni Mitchell song and St. Ann's 1992 program was beautiful :) 2002 St. Ann's program had a quote 'This is my rifle!' Are WGI and DCI intertwined? No. It's my overactive imagination working overtime :smile:

Edited by lindap

drumcorpsvideo.com has the Rebs 69 Dream show for sale in DVD format. Original tape did not do well over the years and there is missing video (picture freezes or gets real bad). Will have to check it again for crowd reaction. Late 70s Westshoremen had ex_YR members and some were telling me about the reaction at Atlanta. Matchs what you posted and might rank with greatest crowd reaction of all time....

San Jose Raiders music had a spanish flavour. It was drum corps familiar, like Malaga or Malaguena? I decided to view some of 1992 tonight. SJR performed to 'Good Morning America'. Blue Devils had a Joni Mitchell song and St. Ann's 1992 program was beautiful :) 2002 St. Ann's program had a quote 'This is my rifle!' Are WGI and DCI intertwined? No. It's my overactive imagination working overtime :smile:

I jumped around a bit and watched '02 Fantasia (Images of India), '85 Erte (Einstein on the Beach), '99 PoC (Beyond the Rainbow) and went to 1983 - the only year I attended the WGI Championships.

From '83 I watched Skylarks (Space Fantasy), Quasar (Pines of Rome even though the music is from Roman Festivals) and one of my favourites, State Street Review (Dream Girls). I remember at the end of the show when the pulled out "Push Push in the Bush" and the crowd went wild.

Edited by LincolnV

I jumped around a bit and watched '02 Fantasia (Images of India), '85 Erte (Einstein on the Beach), '99 PoC (Beyond the Rainbow) and went to 1983 - the only year I attended the WGI Championships.

From '83 I watched Skylarks (Space Fantasy), Quasar (Pines of Rome even though the music is from Roman Festivals) and one of my favourites, State Street Review (Dream Girls). I remember at the end of the show when the pulled out "Push Push in the Bush" and the crowd went wild.

suggestive for way back then wasnt it? ...lol ( push push ) etre' was great POC beyond the rainbow was a fav. of mine watch later years of Northern lights...Road to Perdition, and john Lennon...fantastic

suggestive for way back then wasnt it? ...lol ( push push ) etre' was great POC beyond the rainbow was a fav. of mine watch later years of Northern lights...Road to Perdition, and john Lennon...fantastic

:worthy:

who is the genius who said "maybe we'll just leave one person standing there, looking at the audience -- maybe that would be effective". dear god in heaven. made *me* want to scream :-)

that show is also a great example of "to hell with the dvd and copyrights -- we HAVE to use this music". most times i agree with the posters here who complain about the DVD being ruined. but there ARE exceptions. NL Imagine is certainly one of them.

• Like 1