Controversy in WGI and DCI

the Little Rascals was the most progressive thing to come out of the movies in the 30s.

its all perspective, of course. Your perspective has " The Little Rascals as the most progressive movie to come out of the 30's ". I can think of at least 10 others that in my view of " progressive " was far move progressive than"Tthe Little Rascals". 30's movies such as " The ##### " ( can't even use the name of the movie today in 2000's but it sounds like " The Beach " .... " Nothing Sacred "..... " Vampyr "..... " Jezebel ".... " Of Mice and Men "..... " Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde ".... " I'm no Angel"..... Mutiny on the Bounty "... all big box office draws, are just a few movies from the 30's off the top of my head that seemed far more " progressive " than your " Little Rascals "

Also what some call " Progressive ", others call " Regressive ", in terms of advancing a nation's Morals, Mores, Culture too it seems to me. Like we said its all one's perspective. The trick it seems to me is to acknowledge that everybody's moral compass and what is offensive and what is not is different. Your friend seemed intolerant of the ambiquities of life and apparently believes things are all black and white. I know people like this too. They think we need to set our compasses to their " progressive compass" .. or to their " regressive compass ". It doesn't work except with the easily duped or the easily manipulated, or the weak of character, and so forth, it seems to me. People just need to chill and relax as to what mature and grown adults watch and do. But it is a different ball game altogether when it comes to young children, as they naturally do not have the experience and knowledge yet to properly discriminate between the good, the crass, and the vulgar, and so forth, and can not be expected to as well.

Edited by BRASSO

My bad Brasso, I meant progressive in terms of race relations. Maybe some day you can tell me what Hell was going on with Vampyr. :tounge2:

For those of you wondering, Little Rascals always had a black kid with the group. More than a bit condescending at times with the names (Buckwheat, Farina) and stereotyped speech admittedly but kid was part of the gang.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Sometimes, a work of art may certainly be "progressive" and "regressive" -- both at the same time.

D.W. Griffith's "classic" film, Birth of A Nation, was seen as being highly progressive through its' advanced camera and narrative techniques, and its' popularity has been credited with setting the stage for the dominance of feature-length film in the U.S. However, its' negative representation of the African-American race, and its' positive representation of both slavery and the Ku Kux Klan were most certainly regressive in terms of race relations.

To make this somewhat applicable to drum corps, let's take Zingali's "Z-Pull" as an example. If, when it was first used (in 1983, I believe), it had been incorporated as part of a, say, Civil War program, it could have been seen as being highly "progressive" in terms of matching drill design to program (let's say the "splitting of a nation, yet also coming back together). However, if there had existed the present-day freedom with uniforms, body movement, and pictorial representation of "acting a part," then elements demeaning racial issues or instances could also have been incorporated, and would most certainly have been seen as "regressive" -- and most certainly controversial.

Just two cents from a simple mind.

• Like 1

My bad Brasso, I meant progressive in terms of race relations. Maybe some day you can tell me what Hell was going on with Vampyr. :tounge2:

For those of you wondering, Little Rascals always had a black kid with the group. More than a bit condescending at times with the names (Buckwheat, Farina) and stereotyped speech admittedly but kid was part of the gang.

Its always easy to look back at the past and pick out the things that were bad about it( but not acknowledge sometimes the things way back when that seem better than things we see with regularity today that by contrast don't make us of today look so good ). The 30's were discriminatory to blacks and other minorities, no question about it, and it was indefensible. The 40's were a the time when 6 million Jews were murdered because they " were not Progressive thinking enough with modern day German history and culture" according to The Third Reich German Government of its day. The Communists throughout history have been known for their religious persecutions, executions, tortures, attempts of brain washing, etc of the Religious in their midst because of their " lack of forward looking progressive thinking ". So we've seen this all played out before where some self described " Progressives " do unspeakable things to others in the name of " Progressivism " and of " Advancement "..( and for their part, some Religious fanatics can be just as intolerant as well in many instances too). We humans are a continual work in progress it seems..

Edited by BRASSO

Sometimes, a work of art may certainly be "progressive" and "regressive" -- both at the same time.

D.W. Griffith's "classic" film, Birth of A Nation, was seen as being highly progressive through its' advanced camera and narrative techniques, and its' popularity has been credited with setting the stage for the dominance of feature-length film in the U.S. However, its' negative representation of the African-American race, and its' positive representation of both slavery and the Ku Kux Klan were most certainly regressive in terms of race relations.

To make this somewhat applicable to drum corps, let's take Zingali's "Z-Pull" as an example. If, when it was first used (in 1983, I believe), it had been incorporated as part of a, say, Civil War program, it could have been seen as being highly "progressive" in terms of matching drill design to program (let's say the "splitting of a nation, yet also coming back together). However, if there had existed the present-day freedom with uniforms, body movement, and pictorial representation of "acting a part," then elements demeaning racial issues or instances could also have been incorporated, and would most certainly have been seen as "regressive" -- and most certainly controversial.

Just two cents from a simple mind.

1979 Bridgemen on the 2nd 1/2 of tour had the civil war segment , fighting ect ect . even a Lee and Grant . DCI final's had the South win. Now keep in mind finals were in Birmingham Alabama! Crowd ate it up like a mint julep on a hot southern day :drool:

Edited by GUARDLING

1979 Bridgemen on the 2nd 1/2 of tour had the civil war segment , fighting ect ect . even a Lee and Grant . DCI final's had the South win. Now keep in mind finals were in Birmingham Alabama! Crowd ate it up like a mint julep on a hot southern day :drool:

I'm sure they did, Guard. And I'm sure those Mint Juleps tasted even better than the Kentucky julep on Derby Day. :tounge2:

That being said...my post had nothing to do with "historical revisionism." I was merely making a point that...wait a second...by using a "what if the Cadet's 1983 program was Civil War-based" was, in it's own way, "historical revisionism," wasn't it"?

Crap...I'm starting to sound like Stu. :poke:

(Eagerly awaiting Stu's response of "Come to the Bright Side, My Son...Come to the Bright Side." ).

I'm sure they did, Guard. And I'm sure those Mint Juleps tasted even better than the Kentucky julep on Derby Day. :tounge2:

That being said...my post had nothing to do with "historical revisionism." I was merely making a point that...wait a second...by using a "what if the Cadet's 1983 program was Civil War-based" was, in it's own way, "historical revisionism," wasn't it"?

Crap...I'm starting to sound like Stu. :poke:

OH GODDDDDDDDDD.....I was bringing it back to drum corps or wgi. from the rest of the conversation...although interesting

Edited by GUARDLING

OH GODDDDDDDDDD.....I was bringing it back to drum corps or wgi. from the rest of the conversation...although interesting

Uhhh...good idea, Guard. REAL good idea...

How 'bout them Troopers (or Fantasia, et. al.) !!!!!!!!!!