Blue Devils 2014 Thread

I hope BD announce their show either today or tomorrow. The waiting game is getting boring.

• Like 2

One person hoped BD's show would not be "esoteric" this year to which another poster claimed BD was wasting its time with DCI audiences. I'm not sure the BD folks would see esoteric as a negative quality, and while I know that Star did great things with Blast!, I saw it back in the day and in more recent variations, and of course on PBS, I'm not sure there would be an audience for BD outside of DCI.

Now as far as a Fellini theme for BD, I have heard some who use the term "Felliniesque" to describe things that, at least in my mind do not match Fellini films, probably as a way of sounding intelligent. Usually when it comes to Blue Devils, have to listen to the MP3 recording, watch Fan Network a few times, and see the show live at least twice before I am not scratching my head, but this year I'll skip it and just say it's Felliniesque.

Maybe they could do other directors in the future: a Bergman theme where they feel existential angst, a Woody Allen year where they run off with their ex wife's daughter, and a Speilberg year where the corps is silent because John Williams supposedly does not allow his music to be performed by drum corps.

• Like 2

...and a Speilberg year where the corps is silent because John Williams supposedly does not allow his music to be performed by drum corps.

Too, too funny!!!

• Like 1

I have to say that BD has been winning me over recently. If you would've told me even 5 years ago (1930) that I'd be looking forward to a Blue Devils show announcement and to see what they do with it on the field, I'd have politely asked you to pass the bong.

Not sure why my shift in appreciation. Guess I just see them as the ones doing the best at bringing something legitimately new to an activity where most other corps are just trying to spin the old formula in new ways.

I agree completely! BD's show really are the ones who are breaking new ground in show design. And lord knows, I'm sure I'm going to garnish the warth of a lot of people for saying that. But they really are the only corps that I really get curious about what's going to be next.

I agree completely! BD's show really are the ones who are breaking new ground in show design. And lord knows, I'm sure I'm going to garnish the warth of a lot of people for saying that. But they really are the only corps that I really get curious about what's going to be next.

I still don't fully understand why people think BD is SOOOOO innovative in their show design. I see them live every single year, so I know the shows, and I also do my required homework on the shows before I see them to have any chance of understanding them. So I am very familiar with them every year.

Legitimate question: likes/dislikes of BD shows aside, why are they considered to be so incredibly innovative? Perhaps I'm just missing something.

Edited by Quad Aces

Some garmishing coming your way... :silly:

Just because something is grounding breaking...doesn't automatically make it good (Or in drum corps entertaining/exciting).

I think time has shown that a majority of fans are not the biggest fans of BD's recent offerings. Just my opinion.

As for 2014....I am hoping the team from Concord takes a different approach and leaves weirdsville and artsy behind and gets back to putting out an aggresive bad a$$ straight forward show

Some garmishing coming your way... :silly:

Just because something is grounding breaking...doesn't automatically make it good (Or in drum corps entertaining/exciting).

I think time has shown that a majority of fans are not the biggest fans of BD's recent offerings. Just my opinion.

As for 2014....I am hoping the team from Concord takes a different approach and leaves weirdsville and artsy behind and gets back to putting out an aggresive bad ### straight forward show

But if that happened people would have nothing to complain about on DCP! :tounge2:

I always want a more traditional-based show but we all know that's not going to happen.

But if that happened people would have nothing to complain about on DCP! :tounge2:

I always want a more traditional-based show but we all know that's not going to happen.

There will always be something to complain about on DCP.... :satisfied:

Why can't they present a more traditional-based show? One of BD's biggest California rivals did in 2013....and were 1 tenth from finishing in the medals...oh.and they were probably the 2013 crowd favoirte as well.

Edited by Triple Forte

There will always be something to complain about on DCP.... :satisfied:

Why can't they present a more traditional-based show? One of BD's biggest California rivals did in 2013....and were 1 tenth from finishing in the medals...oh.and they were probably the 2013 crowd favoirte as well.

The design team puts a show together for the judges 1st and audience second (just an opinion)

They've done the "traditional" show for years- and had had a ton of success. Now the staff that has been together for so long- like any artist, are changing with time.

Edited by KPinCAL
  • Like 2

The design team puts a show together for the judges 1st and audience second (just an opinion)

They've done the "traditional" show for years- and had had a ton of success. Now the staff that has been together for so long- like any artist, are changing with time.

I agree with you. While I am not a fan of BD's recent shows, I do admire them. The recent shows are really exploring how far this particular art form can be pushed, within the realm of a highly-regulated and competitive activity. BD's crazy out-there stuff, while not appreciated in and of itself, will allow and encourage other corps to push boundaries as well.

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 2