Blue Devils 2014 Thread

Instead, we were left with a barage of randomly selected, but briliantly executed abstract woven moving patterns and choreography in an alienating ballet without purpose or pattern, presenting no shared experience or meaning, making BD’s performers appear insane.

With all due respect to your obviously heartfelt and much-pondered opinion, of your 2,159 words, these are the only two that matter. If you want to beat the Blue Devils, start by executing better than the Blue Devils.

• Like 6

What the hell did I just read...

Okay. Firstly, who are YOU to tell everyone what drum corps is? Drum corps can mean a different thing to each person on this forum. I think a good thing to emphasize with you is that nothing is black and white, only shades of grey (please no 50 shades of grey jokes...).

2nd, drum corps in its most basic form is an art form. I can already tell you're an anti-modern art type of person, and you know what? That's totally okay. Some people like certain kinds of art and other people like others. Art can mean anything to a person. It's all open to interpretation. That's what's so great about music. Have you ever listened to a song with lyrics that are a bit ambiguous? I love reading up on people's different interpretations of those lyrics. People love art, music, etc. because it is flexible to each and every person. To somehow claim that BD's shows are WRONG and anti-drum corps is arrogant, insulting to the performers, and even more insulting to the artists, yes artists, who created the masterpiece on the field. I'm going to kindly ask you to get off your high horse sir.

3rd, Although audience entertainment should always be a factor when creating a drum corps show, you do have to remember that this is a competition. The Blue Devils have as much of a right to experiment with different genres of music as any other corps and they do a hell of a job with these more abstract themes and have evidently had great success with shows such as Through the Glass, Darkly, Cabaret Voltaire, and the re:Rite of Spring.

Finally, you're creating a blanket statement by saying absolutely everyone enjoyed Madison's and Crown's 2013 shows. No, not EVERYONE enjoyed it. That's the point. You can't get absolutely everyone to enjoy a show. Everyone has different tastes. I know some people who were a bit offended with Madison's presentation of war on the field as well as those who hated the narration in Crown's show. I don't like every single Crown show, every single BD show, etc. I do have favorite shows from each corps and I'm sure you do too.

Have a bit more respect for the people putting on one hell of a masterpiece on the field every summer, respect that not everyone will like the same shows as everyone else, and have a nice day.

you are right on all accounts especially how others viewed the more "POPULAR" shows..well said IMO there's an audience for all shows and liked by many including BD.

I guess for some just expressing their dislike for a style or design choice isn't enough it needs to be " Over the top" Oh well, some MIGHT call it passion ( some ) I think it just proves a point from another thread. It's not enough to dislike a choice that maybe many others may or may not agree with , which I dont think to may would have a problem with NOOOOOO it has to be extreme. Oh well, what can ya do , tomorrow it will be with someone else with something as important as a plume height or color....lol although BD seems to be a constant...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I guess for some just expressing their dislike for a style or design choice isn't enough it needs to be " Over the top"

... what you might call " over the top " ( or perhaps the commentary of that of " a loon " as you've said on here before with others that have a different opinion than yours), others ,such as myself, found his commentary to be insightful, detailed, example filled, intelligent, thought provoking, and well articulated. He also has a masterful way with vocabulary in my opinion, and as such I found his delivery of his thoughts to be easy to follow, intriguing in content, and thoroughly interesting and engrossing to read in its entirety.. But... different strokes for different folks as they say.

Edited by BRASSO

What is

that?

• Like 1

... what you might call " over the top " ( or " lunacy " ), others ,such as myself, found his commentary to be insightful, detailed, example filled, intelligent, thought provoking, and well articulated. He also has a masterful way with vocabulary, and as such I found his delivery of his thoughts to be engrossing, intriguing and thoroughly interesting to read in its entirety.. But... different strokes for different folks as they say.

well obviously others disagree. I found Cappy's post to be much more in touch,( based on my own experience ) respectful and truthfully more accepting and open to all possibilities . I will give the poster you speak of that it was well written, but that's it.

there has been 6 or 7 posts since that one..who in those found it insightful? hmmm maybe I'm tired and didnt see it..different strokes as you say

Edited by GUARDLING

well obviously others disagree.

So what ?

So what ?

doesnt mean a thing..you just said you " OTHERS" lol. and how insightful....i never read what you claimed..unless like I said im tired and maybe missed it BUT of course as I said often you like to take 1 line out of many and expect the essence of the stament to mean the same....clearly youre just looking for debate...lol would love to but just not in the mood :ninja:

we can just agree to disagee again :yin-yang::smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

... what you might call " over the top " ( or perhaps the commentary of that of " a loon " as you've said on here before with others that have a different opinion than yours), others ,such as myself, found his commentary to be insightful, detailed, example filled, intelligent, thought provoking, and well articulated. He also has a masterful way with vocabulary in my opinion, and as such I found his delivery of his thoughts to be easy to follow, intriguing in content, and thoroughly interesting and engrossing to read in its entirety.. But... different strokes for different folks as they say.

It was pretty on the surface, yes. But it did not show very much respect towards the Blue Devils as an organization as well as towards literally everyone on this forum that appreciates a large variety of forms of art. For that reason, I don't think his argument was very "insightful" or "intelligent." He definitely has good ideas though, I'll give him that much.