Blue Devils 2014 Thread

Thanks for confirming my assessment as well. The remark above that "the Blue Devils want to remind us that we're all nerds ", is of course a silly and inaccurate assesment of what this Corps wants to convey to us about themselves.

Oh for Heaven's sake. The show is one big nerdgasm over everything that's cool and fun about the arts. It's 11 minutes of intense geeking out over an esoteric Italian auteur. No one ever said that BD didn't look or feel cool doing it. Loving the arts IS cool. Loving esoteric Italian auteurs IS cool. Loving drum corps is VERY cool. *And* it's nerdy: it's idiosyncratic and obsessive -- just like Fellini was.

That's all I'm saying: Fellini was a film nerd, a devotee to the craft. And the BD, who've devoted countless hours to performing this tribute, are saying, We get it.

Even they can't match the nerdiness of you arguing with me about this, tho.

• Like 2

Oh for Heaven's sake. The show is one big nerdgasm over everything that's cool and fun about the arts. It's 11 minutes of intense geeking out over an esoteric Italian auteur. No one ever said that BD didn't look or feel cool doing it. Loving the arts IS cool. Loving esoteric Italian auteurs IS cool. Loving drum corps is VERY cool. *And* it's nerdy: it's idiosyncratic and obsessive -- just like Fellini was.

That's all I'm saying: Fellini was a film nerd, a devotee to the craft. And the BD, who've devoted countless hours to performing this tribute, are saying, We get it.

Even they can't match the nerdiness of you arguing with me about this, tho.

True. Most people would say the epitome of nerd = arguing marching band on the internet on a Sat. night...
  • Like 3

Great job tonight, BD! Raised a whole point from yesterday! I can't wait to see you guys on the fan network and then live really soon :)

• Like 1

I love this show. A very mature, well thought out production.

• Like 1

I was very impressed with BK! SCV is almost too clean for this show. It's hard to explain what it made me feel. I thought the 04 show was more ensemble and this one is more technique I guess. Their visual is really good this year!

Got back from Palo Alto a couple of hours ago. I can't stop thinking about this show. It's INCREDIBLE.

I have a question- what's with the guard dude who walks like he has cerebral palsy? (down the cat walk- maybe 3/4 into the show) I don't get that part of the show at all.

Edited by KPinCAL

I was just gonna say... Man. I love BD's guard and wouldn't necessarily dispute their recent rankings at all, even if I'm wary of those perfect 20s; but, like many, I've been rooting for Crown to take that long overdue guard trophy one of these years.

This will not be the year. Crown has the difficulty -- duh -- but it's the same effect over and over: super high tosses on predictable musical accents, super-coordinated sequential tosses, again predictable. It's not effective, IMO. And it doesn't feel tailored to the program in any particular way. The effects aren't varied enough, for me.

If the guard judges remember only a handful of design effects this year, the layering of BD's opening flag statement (the entire opener really...) and the tambourine dance will be high on that list. They're killing it -- and they're moving quite a bit this year. I have geek shivers when the flagline does that circular skip thing at the end of the opener. I don't know how else to describe it but "circular skip thing." They look like they're having so much fun..

i hate that stanford is hicam only :-(

Edited by corpsband

Kinda wanted to drop by and say I'm really liking Devils this year. Been waiting for a while for a Devils show I could stand behind. I'm not saying the shows for the past few years were bad, quite the contrary..just look at the scores...they just didn't really interest me as much as they had prior to 2007. I saw a video today of their show and I gotta say I really enjoyed it...and not just some parts....ALL of it. I absolutely love Crown but was so angered when I posted something somewhere that I loved both Crown and Devils show this year equally and was told you can only like one of the other. Why is that? I don't know why more fans can't be like the members of the corps themselves. From what I hear they get along just fine and root for each other, they don't need to bring the other down. Well......anyways ....welcome back Devils....you made my day and I'll definitely be rooting for you both come finals

Yep. I'm really digging the BD show this year and I'm not usually a fan. It's odd, weird and silly but it pulls you into a 10 minute world of its own. There will be great variety of show designs in the top tier this season and that will be a joy for all of us as we get to listen and watch different styles of emotion and intensity.