Fan Network 2014-2015?

True, but IMO the WGI pricing was WAY lower than it should've been: meaning, it was worth far more than they were charging. DCI's prices of media has always been far higher than WGI so maybe WGI raised their prices to be more in line with DCI & DCI won't raise their prices much/if at all.

I think WGI in the past was too low. I think this year, for finals weekends PLUS a season long subscription was too high

A side thought...

Some of the upgrades that happen to The Fan Network aren't that visible to people. I know that sounds funny, but the transition from a couple of laptops into dedicated video and audio hardware has been evolving as the technology allowed. It's funny; several years ago, this was all new as a concept online... I know that DCI was one of the innovators in using simple laptops instead of $30k boxes... if that hadn't been the case, TFN would be *starting* about now.

I have no idea what this year will bring, but I do know that the "back end" has evolved more than is evident "on screen".

For me, that's kind of the important thing, isn't it? A beautiful interface doesn't mean a lot if the back end sucks

For me, that's kind of the important thing, isn't it? A beautiful interface doesn't mean a lot if the back end sucks

Well, sometimes people only recognize changes through front end experiences. That's normal, but if your page loads correctly 90%, and you get it to 99%, only one person thinks you suck. That, despite making a major improvement. It's all IT, not just FN.

However, I think it's fair to say that a lot of the issues aren't necessarily out of anyone's hands, but those asking for "more open class"... here's the problem. The venue they are performing at must have a solid upload connection. I think it's fair to say that most Open Class specific venues aren't the highest caliber. Ethernet wiring is rarely run to high school press boxes, and of that, it is notoriously unreliable. OTA is not feasible, nor will it be for the quality level required for several years. So even if you show up with all your toys and goodies, if the internet connection isn't dedicated and what they told you it was, you're in trouble.

That's why Allentown isn't broadcast. They apparently got some mediocre DSL in their new box. It's just not worth the risk of angering everyone to broadcast what might be perfect and might be 2013 Buffalo.

That's not an excuse, but it's why there were "surprise" shows. The venues have to work... maybe you've seen it. Press box camera, sometimes a press box mic... all that is site specific and dependent. However, it's two dedicated outbound internet streams of a constantly available 4-5 Mb... It's a variable 2000-ish stream, and it takes about double to handle the spikes. (Think camera switch on your cable TV -- sporting fields have lots of pixelation)

So ya, I'm sure they're going to do their level best again, but that's what they face. There aren't that many venues in the schedule that meet the needs. That's why you see few OC options. And it's also why you see the NFL stadiums used -- not solely for lineups.

I hope that helps a little on the decision making. :)

• Like 2

Well, sometimes people only recognize changes through front end experiences. That's normal, but if your page loads correctly 90%, and you get it to 99%, only one person thinks you suck. That, despite making a major improvement. It's all IT, not just FN.

However, I think it's fair to say that a lot of the issues aren't necessarily out of anyone's hands, but those asking for "more open class"... here's the problem. The venue they are performing at must have a solid upload connection. I think it's fair to say that most Open Class specific venues aren't the highest caliber. Ethernet wiring is rarely run to high school press boxes, and of that, it is notoriously unreliable. OTA is not feasible, nor will it be for the quality level required for several years. So even if you show up with all your toys and goodies, if the internet connection isn't dedicated and what they told you it was, you're in trouble.

That's why Allentown isn't broadcast. They apparently got some mediocre DSL in their new box. It's just not worth the risk of angering everyone to broadcast what might be perfect and might be 2013 Buffalo.

That's not an excuse, but it's why there were "surprise" shows. The venues have to work... maybe you've seen it. Press box camera, sometimes a press box mic... all that is site specific and dependent. However, it's two dedicated outbound internet streams of a constantly available 4-5 Mb... It's a variable 2000-ish stream, and it takes about double to handle the spikes. (Think camera switch on your cable TV -- sporting fields have lots of pixelation)

So ya, I'm sure they're going to do their level best again, but that's what they face. There aren't that many venues in the schedule that meet the needs. That's why you see few OC options. And it's also why you see the NFL stadiums used -- not solely for lineups.

Some excellent background info provided regarding the challenges you guys go thru ...and have to continually weigh ...in order to provide this service to us fans. Thanks for sharing.. I found it informative.

• Like 1

yeah Allentown isn't going to dump the $$ into the stadium just for the FN. it's a HS stadium

However, I think it's fair to say that a lot of the issues aren't necessarily out of anyone's hands, but those asking for "more open class"... here's the problem. The venue they are performing at must have a solid upload connection.

Calling BS on that. On-demand is always an option for locations that cannot support a live broadcast, so if there was interest in providing more open class coverage, it could be done. (Which hints at the real reason - lack of interest.)

• Like 1

Calling BS on that. On-demand is always an option for locations that cannot support a live broadcast, so if there was interest in providing more open class coverage, it could be done. (Which hints at the real reason - lack of interest.)

Sorry; you're absolutely correct about this. I was answering based on a live stream only. The reason you don't see more OC video on demand is the perceived lack of need. IOW, how many more subscriptions are you going to get if DCI spends $1000 on acquiring an open class show where only a few groups are there? My friend, that's a much larger can of worms... I wasn't intending on going there.

That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for the insight! You're awesome. :cool: I'm impressed with myself that I can actually understand most of what you just said.

• Like 1