Fan Network 2014-2015?

Wow, really disappointed that they took down the various on demand "season" shows for 2011, 2010, etc., such as Allentown, early season shows, etc. All thats up now is championship week for those years. I had hoped they would keep everything up from each season, but I understand they probably need to make room for new stuff. Still though, I liked the fact that I could go back and watch 2010 Allentown for example...

They still have the full schedule up from 2012 and 2013, but I imagine that will be gone as future years approach as well. :(

Wait, what? I assumed they just didn't have early shows before a certain point, not that they were taking them down. I wonder why? I can't imagine it's really a drive space problem, with drive space doubling every couple of years, and being incredibly cheap in any event. Bandwidth shouldn't matter, because each fan has a certain amount of time to watch shows, this is just about which shows they are watching.

If they want to take down repetitive content, fine, but they should keep up at least one representative early season performance for each corps.

The email response I got on this very question was that 2013 Finals will be added right after opening night.

Thanks for that info.

Wait, what? I assumed they just didn't have early shows before a certain point, not that they were taking them down. I wonder why? I can't imagine it's really a drive space problem, with drive space doubling every couple of years, and being incredibly cheap in any event. Bandwidth shouldn't matter, because each fan has a certain amount of time to watch shows, this is just about which shows they are watching.

If they want to take down repetitive content, fine, but they should keep up at least one representative early season performance for each corps.

I'm guessing that after some point, nobody is actually watching the early season vids, and the "Finals" version is considered the definitive show.

Mike

• Like 1

Why bother? I suspect the vast majority of drum corps fans generally want to see the finished product: that's the representation that designers thought best, the cleanest the corps was that summer, etc.

Wow, really disappointed that they took down the various on demand "season" shows for 2011, 2010, etc., such as Allentown, early season shows, etc. All thats up now is championship week for those years. I had hoped they would keep everything up from each season, but I understand they probably need to make room for new stuff. Still though, I liked the fact that I could go back and watch 2010 Allentown for example...

They still have the full schedule up from 2012 and 2013, but I imagine that will be gone as future years approach as well. :(

oh my god keep anything beyond finals week for a season would be such a space hog! I talked to someone with WGI and asked about being able to keep up regionals once to see people that didn't go to Dayton, and they said if they tried to keep stuff other than finals week, the amount of space used and the cost would make prices out of this world.

• Like 1

oh my god keep anything beyond finals week for a season would be such a space hog! I talked to someone with WGI and asked about being able to keep up regionals once to see people that didn't go to Dayton, and they said if they tried to keep stuff other than finals week, the amount of space used and the cost would make prices out of this world.

That's a bull#### answer.

The space used by stored video on the FN isn't anywhere near that big, especially with the compression they use. They aren't storing RAW video for online use (that's the space hog). When you factor in the cost of WGI's subscription, the answer given becomes even more farcical. The "streaming video takes up so much space" answer is so stupid it's laughable.

• Like 3

That's a bull#### answer.

The space used by stored video on the FN isn't anywhere near that big, especially with the compression they use. They aren't storing RAW video for online use (that's the space hog). When you factor in the cost of WGI's subscription, the answer given becomes even more farcical. The "streaming video takes up so much space" answer is so stupid it's laughable.

Do you know how much space/how large the average DCI FN video is? How much space DCI is allotted by their web service? I honestly don't know, but before calling Bull#### maybe knowing all the fact first is prudent

Do you know how much space/how large the average DCI FN video is? How much space DCI is allotted by their web service? I honestly don't know, but before calling Bull#### maybe knowing all the fact first is prudent

I have some experience in the field. A company I used to work for archived (for online retrieval) audio and video in large numbers, both in terms of numbers of files and length of performance time. Now, it's entirely possible that while the answer WGI gave to Jeff was completely BS (file storage), the truth may well be that WGI didn't want to make a larger number of files available for potential streaming (I cannot begin to talk about streaming costs with any real authority), but that's a completely different problem.

Also, we're talking WGI here, not DCI. I actually think DCI's archival approach of only having Championships up after the fact is smart...as was said earlier, the "definitive performance" for each corps. That makes complete sense on a number of levels. The WGI problem is different...as Jeff said, it impacts groups that competed at regional and not Dayton.

Even so, with modern compression the average space a DCI show would use would be counted in the megabyte range, at the low end. Even a 48 minute (one hour) TV show at 1080p clocks in at around 1.5 GB or so...

Edited by Kamarag

I have some experience in the field. A company I used to work for archived (for online retrieval) audio and video in large numbers, both in terms of numbers of files and length of performance time. Now, it's entirely possible that while the answer WGI gave to Jeff was completely BS (file storage), the truth may well be that WGI didn't want to make a larger number of files available for potential streaming (I cannot begin to talk about streaming costs with any real authority), but that's a completely different problem.

Also, we're talking WGI here, not DCI. I actually think DCI's archival approach of only having Championships up after the fact is smart...as was said earlier, the "definitive performance" for each corps. That makes complete sense on a number of levels. The WGI problem is different...as Jeff said, it impacts groups that competed at regional and not Dayton.

Even so, with modern compression the average space a DCI show would use would be counted in the megabyte range, at the low end. Even a 48 minute (one hour) TV show at 1080p clocks in at around 1.5 GB or so...

given the persons title, I wouldn't naturally think he was given to ######## about that. But then again, WGI doesn't own tne network, so maybe thats why the cost is up. They partner with DCI on it.

Bandwidth would be pretty much the same. If you argue that few watch early shows, then they must not take up much bandwidth.

And while keeping all of them would take a lot of disk space, keeping one or two big shows wouldn't. If they are, as Perc2100 suggests, going through a service, then there's even less of a concern since costs generally go down sharply with scale.

If nothing else, they should certainly keep the last performance of those corps that don't go to finals week. There is no DVD for those, either, so they are effectively deleting those corps performances from history. Is that a good idea?

Edited by Pete Freedman