Fan Network 2014-2015?

When the mucky mucks at the top can't get their cut of the pie then no one else will I guess.

well its how the world works...as a designer for winter and summer programs it can be a nightmare for sure. As an artist I can understand it I suppose. Doesnt DCI/ WGI do the same to protect their piece of the pie..yup

If the cost of storage trumps the value of subscriptions, then move the content to the DCI YouTube channel where storage is free of charge. Why throw it out?

What liability? No one is suggesting DCI post videos without obtaining licensing.

Is that a real fear? Because if it is, then I would be more concerned about the plethora of problems DCI could bring upon itself by running fan networks for DCA, ISSMA, DCUK, and WGI.

DCI has had dozens of instances where videos have had to be edited due to issues over performance, mechanical or synchronization rights. Most of these have been in the past few years. Older shows appear to be less trouble.

By the way, what is "licensing risk"?

I agree. These are just a bunch of excuses. This is the kind of thing that happens when organizations just don't want to spend time on certain issues.

I know I brought up the fact that DCI is running FN for other organizations ( for a different reason), but your point here is a good one.

lol..not how the world works..wgi even has a restricted list...everyone wants their due

even estates of dead white guys.

• Like 1

I agree. These are just a bunch of excuses. This is the kind of thing that happens when organizations just don't want to spend time on certain issues.

I know I brought up the fact that DCI is running FN for other organizations ( for a different reason), but your point here is a good one.

the other networks DCi runs also have licensing requirements for their groups.

the other networks DCi runs also have licensing requirements for their groups.

Obviously.

Probably not the same, especially the DCUK, eh?

This licensing issue is making me think; we know several rights must be acquired for each work played (to play, to arrange, to perform for a live audience, to sell audio recording, to sync with video), and that DCI is responsible for the audio and video sync rights.

But...

I wonder if DCI only bothers to get the A/V rights for the corps they plan to put on DVD/CDs? Yes, they probably include streaming rights with that, but maybe they skip all the lower corps they don't actually sell physical media for, hoping the rights holders never find out. That might explain why they delete it after a few years. (But I hope that's not the case, and I kind of doubt it)

Oh, and I think the only reason multiple copies of videos get distributed over a network is if the bandwidth for those videos warrants it. It is not necessary in order to stream videos, and we're talking about low volume videos here; in fact, even the high volume videos are low volume really. Maybe the current year's top shows get enough clicks to justify it.

In this thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/159155-carolina-crown-2014/page-44

They happen to be talking about all the changes that most corps do during the season. That's another reason to keep older shows.

Obviously.

Probably not the same, especially the DCUK, eh?

I'd imagine WGI's may be the harshest of them all. I mean on their site you can even find the "do not try" list, and the "if you really want to, here's the headaches and timelines involved" list.