Fan Network 2014-2015?

Please allow me to speculate a little bit...

First, I don't know what if anything was pulled. I do know for a fact that CDNs charge a monthly rate for storage. CDNs also charge a higher rate for storage in certain cases because of how CDNs work.

For example, it's not just like S3 that's mirrored once or twice. CDNs are geographically distributed so you have good performance. This means that you might have a video stored in 50 or 100 places. That's why they play quickly in your geographic area and with good quality; they are distributed. So as for pricing, you won't want to do a direct comparison to simple file storage.

If the cost of storage trumps the value of subscriptions, then move the content to the DCI YouTube channel where storage is free of charge. Why throw it out?

As for the non-Finalist shows, I would imagine that you guys are barking up the wrong tree. It isn't cost prohibitive; everyone seems to come to that logical conclusion... thus, there's that other Licensing tree... one might notice that those non-Finalist shows weren't redone for the Legacy collections. As such, I can imagine that your 15th place show from the mid-1980s isn't so much a minor cost to post, but a greater risk of liability for having posted it.

What liability? No one is suggesting DCI post videos without obtaining licensing.

Until and unless the risk of posting some of those older shows with less licensing risk becomes less risky, it probably has no real chance of becoming part of that collection. Copyright laws being what they are, it would seem easy to say that the 3 subscriptions the '97 Plum Jostlers bring in aren't worth the possibility of being sued.

Is that a real fear? Because if it is, then I would be more concerned about the plethora of problems DCI could bring upon itself by running fan networks for DCA, ISSMA, DCUK, and WGI.

DCI has had dozens of instances where videos have had to be edited due to issues over performance, mechanical or synchronization rights. Most of these have been in the past few years. Older shows appear to be less trouble.

By the way, what is "licensing risk"?

• Like 1

DCI has had dozens of instances where videos have had to be edited due to issues over performance, mechanical or synchronization rights. Most of these have been in the past few years. Older shows appear to be less trouble.

Older shows have the same problems with licensing. BITD kind of got away with things as DC ran a lot more "under the radar" than today with the Internet. I know there are some shows that are on video but have to go thru the licensing hoops before they can be safely (IOW - not sued) released for sale. Sad part is some of these shows it would cost more to go thru the legalities than what sales would generate, so what would be the sense. Just some info I learned when asking about shows from my era....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

How hard is that, really?

I don't know, as I was speaking hypothetically. In that sense, hypothetically, an intern would have a billion tasks to do and going through older FN video of early season shows is probably pretty low on the list of priorities. DCI seems to be ALL about "right now," especially when it comes to pre-season stuff; if that's the case then there might be a plethora of more pressing issues where resources are needed other than "look for the last BDC show for the handful of FN subscribers who might really want to see it."

One thing that really bothers me about FN is that on the eve of the new season you still can not watch finals from last year unless you get the DVD or Blue Ray subscription. Most discs will not play in my computer so why get that. If they will not let you watch then why not change the look depending on which package you bought? If you have the live package then just show what you can watch.

Maybe if they offered a package with more features but no disc at a lower price? I find that most plastic discs are flawed and unless you treat them very gingerly they skip or even not play at all.

One thing that really bothers me about FN is that on the eve of the new season you still can not watch finals from last year unless you get the DVD or Blue Ray subscription. Most discs will not play in my computer so why get that. If they will not let you watch then why not change the look depending on which package you bought? If you have the live package then just show what you can watch.

Maybe if they offered a package with more features but no disc at a lower price? I find that most plastic discs are flawed and unless you treat them very gingerly they skip or even not play at all.

It bothers me too. Luckily 2013 Finals will be available very soon. They said usually after the first show.

I understand all of that; my rough analysis was simply a very rough outline to show the basic costs and the likely storage needs of storing 1 season of video. It didn't delve into the processing of raw video into a suitable codec or anything else interesting...

Unless DCI has implemented the physical infrastructure to distribute the content everywhere, I'm not sure that DCI would be worrying so much about the CDN aspect directly, it would be Brightcove that would be concerned with that specific aspect of the technology, and the costs would be passed through to DCI in a service package. Really not much of a need to bring that up here because that's not how Brightcove prices things. To their customers (DCI) the videos are simply "in the cloud". So, you "might" have these videos storage in 50 or 100 places with Brightcove, but brightcove has that figured into DCI's service plan and it is not a 1:1 price comparison. I know this aspect of technology interesting to some, but others have glossy eyes right now. What you're writing makes it sound like it's really expensive, and it's a little expensive, but it's obviously worth the expense for pay for the services and added a few hundred gigabytes of data is no big deal. It's a recurring service expense for DCI, instead of a purchase 1 time purchase, which is very much in vogue with software these days. ...and it looks like DCI gets "help" with paying for that service from Wgi, DCA, Indiana State School Music Association, and DCUK. That's smart. Not trying to be difficult, but my degrees are in technology and I've dealt with Brightcove in the past for this type of thing too.

Yes, we know that licensing is the excuse given for not putting up the non-finalists. I wonder how many non-finalists corps have public domain pieces in their shows. I mean, the licensing angle is the tired excuse and I wonder who has looked into this. It just seems like it's not worth the time and effort for DCI to put their older shows on, and they won't bother looking into it because it's just easier to say "copyright" and move on. I don't completely buy the corporate speak.

well...look at John Williams. he won't license. Now, how many corps did his stuff over the years? So yes, i can imagine licensing being a huge headache and cost, especially in the past when more popular tunes were used.

• Like 1

I think it would be dumb to not let drum corps play your music as it's free publicity!

I can think of many a source music that I sought out because (insert corps name here) played it!

I think it would be dumb to not let drum corps play your music as it's free publicity!

I can think of many a source music that I sought out because (insert corps name here) played it!

lol..not how the world works..wgi even has a restricted list...everyone wants their due

Edited by GUARDLING

But I don't like the corps arrangement.... It makes my music look bad... waaahhhhh....