What did I miss?

Welcome back from Afghanistan. Here is what you missed: the death of drum corps. Yes, drum corps is dead, according to many esteemed members of this very forum. It died and is dying and will die from multiple wounds, mostly inflicted by George Hopkins, who visited upon us a plague of synthesizers, amplification, vocals, trombones and sousaphones. And yet Hopkins still walks about, a free man.

Oh, and only SCV marches cymbals now, but with enough class and showmanship to make up for all the slacker corps who would rather have 10 marimbas instead of only 6 marimbas.

Be more overdramatic please. That wasn't enough. :lle:

To give a bit more of an accurate description, yes if you're like the many close-minded individuals on this forum and will forever love the drum corps of the 70s, 80s, and 90s only, yes drum corps is dead - to you. In reality, the activity has just evolved and become modernized just like anything else with advancing technology. Can you imagine just how BORING music (in general) would be if it stayed exactly the same style from the 60s to now? Instead, new technologies have brought on new genres. A better way to think about it is that the additions to DCI have created more avenues for the corps to exhibit many different kinds of skills that the talented individuals in these corps possess.

To me, this just has created shows that are richer, deeper, and more original. Unfortunately, if you're looking for Malaguena, the Planets, Appalachian Spring, and West Side Story on repeat every year, you'll be a bit disappointed. I think you'll need to just listen to more shows and judge for yourself.

• Like 3

To give a bit more of an accurate description, yes if you're like the many close-minded individuals on this forum and will forever love the drum corps of the 70s, 80s, and 90s only, yes drum corps is dead - to you. In reality, the activity has just evolved and become modernized just like anything else with advancing technology. Can you imagine just how BORING music (in general) would be if it stayed exactly the same style from the 60s to now? Instead, new technologies have brought on new genres. A better way to think about it is that the additions to DCI have created more avenues for the corps to exhibit many different kinds of skills that the talented individuals in these corps possess.

To me, this just has created shows that are richer, deeper, and more original. Unfortunately, if you're looking for Malaguena, the Planets, Appalachian Spring, and West Side Story on repeat every year, you'll be a bit disappointed. I think you'll need to just listen to more shows and judge for yourself.

First, thank you for your service. Second, go watch some of these shows and form your own opinion on what DCI has become, decide for yourself then discuss, don't let anyone on here throw you one way or the other. I personally think these are modern DCI at its absolute best, in all varieties.

2009 Carolina Crown "The Grass is Always Greener"

2010 Bluecoats "Metropolis"

2010 Cavaliers "Mad World"

2010 Blue Devils "Through a Glass, Darkly"

The entire 2011 season, this was amazing to watch unfold. 4 corps on top at one point. The best group of non finalists I can think of. Specifically, I'd suggest Cadets "Between Angel's and Demons", Phantom Regiment's absolutely beautiful "Juliet", Madison Scouts "New York Morning", Spirit of Atlanta's "ATL Confidential", and The Academy's "RE-" for a look through the different competitive groupings.

2012 Blue Devils "Cabaret Voltaire"

2012 Carolina Crown "For the Common Good"

2013 Carolina Crown "E=MC2"

2013 Santa Clara Vanguard "Les Miserables"

2013 Madison Scouts

I'll agree with Cappybara here. Just like any art form, it evolves. Though we are all entitled to our own opinions. Am I crazy about synths and the all brass ruling? Not really, but it by no means ruined drum corps for me. Bluecoats seem to be the absolute best at integrating these in a tasteful way in my opinion. As far as the competitive field, you've missed Phantom dethroning an almost unstoppable Blue Devils in 2008 in finals by .025, Bluecoats rising to medalist position in 2010, the rise of Carolina Crown into a world champion, you've missed the Blue Devils being undeniable winning 4 championships and 3 silver medals only since 2007, you've missed the reemergence of the Madison Scouts, you've missed the 18th - 12th grouping becoming uber competitive. I love what it is right now, sorry if that's unpopular, but that's what I think.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 7

My question is, what did I miss in the past 6-8 years of drum corps?

Welcome home, and thank you.

Crown. You missed the ascension of Carolina Crown to the pinnacle of the activity. You will enjoy catching up.

You missed the disappearance of Troopers from DCI in 2006, their return in 2007, and return to finals in 2009. And a show for the ages last year.

The Scouts' return from the wilderness to legitimate threat.

The complete unhinging of Blue Devils from the concept of entertainment, in the view of some.

Endless intrigue and failed attempts at suicide on the DCI board. A sputtering secession movement among the activity's top-scoring units.

Cavaliers falling back to the pack

A win by Phantom Regiment

A lot of really, really great performances by top-notch kids giving everything they have. The good news: they're still doing it. Enjoy the show.

• Like 3

Oh, and G7 happened. Someone want to jump in on this one with a Readers Digest version of events?

Sure... an even shorter version is available for the unknowing :

George Hopkins.

( haha)

. I went to a few shows in 2006 but ended up joining the military and spending some time in Afghanistan.

Thank you for your Service.

Just because one makes a choice to "prefer" the activity as it existed during a specific time period, it doesn't make them a "closed-minded individual." (By the way, it's "closed-minded," not "close-minded.")

A closed-minded individual states "Drum Corps DIED after the 1990's." Another person can state "I prefer Drum Corps as the way it existed in the 1970's through the 1990's" and be perfectly open minded. He is merely making a statement of preference -- not of fact.

Therefore...even though I have appreciated all Drum Corps activity over its' last 40 years, but who also happens to enjoy the activity as it existed in the 70's through the 90's the most, I take offense at being thought of as being "closed-minded." That's my problem, I realize, not yours.

• Like 4

I go into drum corps around 200 when I was still in high school and ended up marching from 2002-2005, aging out as a cymbal player in Crossmen. I went to a few shows in 2006 but ended up joining the military and spending some time in Afghanistan. Well now I'm back, I moved from Michigan to Texas, and am thinking about heading over to see the San Antonio show this summer.

My question is, what did I miss in the past 6-8 years of drum corps? I was sad to hear that the Glassmen folded, as I used to march there as well. I've seen a couple YouTube videos of some 2013 shows, and I remember all the debates over adding amps and electronics and still think it was a bad idea. I'm kinda sad that singing and sound effects haven't gone away as a fad.

So what other big changes have happened? Do we still get shows like 95 Scouts, 99 SCV, 02 Cavies, etc? Or has it all mostly gone the way of marching band? Will I be shocked in SA or still recognize it as the good old brass, percussion, and guard Drum Corps I remember?

And do cymbal lines still exist? I read something about the size being increased to 150 instead of the old 135? Will cymbal lines make a resurgence?

lots of changes with the additions of synths, prerecorded content, and now any key brass, as well as trends in design.

sadly, cymbal lines are dying out. yada yada "can't hear them" etc

You have missed some truly amazing shows over the years, and some controversial shows over the years. You have missed some unusual Blue Devils shows that were well performed, but hated by quite a few people. You have missed fully narrated shows by Cadets that drew annoyance of many.

But every year you have missed 22/23 World Class corps, and 13/16 Open Class corps that have put on some great shows. Like most people, you would probably have been amazed and loved a bunch of them, and disliked/hated a bunch of them.

The judging however has become more like American Idol style judging. The storylines of corps have become more important that what is actually performed on the field some years. We have seen a corps that should have placed 3rd at best win a championship. We have seen a corps that should have placed 17th make the top 12.

As far as whether some of the corps are more like bands, there have been several corps shows, that really do resemble a Bands Of America show, more than what a lot of people think of as drum corps. And some people really like that, and some people detest that. Welcome back to the activity, and enjoy the shows you get to this year.

• Like 1

My question is, what did I miss in the past 6-8 years of drum corps?

The short answer :....you can simply go purchase from DCI their Fan Network Basic Package for 69 bucks and at your leisure watch for yourself most of the DCI shows from most of the Corps from the years you were away ( 2005 to 2013).

I go into drum corps around 200 when I was still in high school and ended up marching from 2002-2005, aging out as a cymbal player in Crossmen. I went to a few shows in 2006 but ended up joining the military and spending some time in Afghanistan. Well now I'm back, I moved from Michigan to Texas, and am thinking about heading over to see the San Antonio show this summer.

My question is, what did I miss in the past 6-8 years of drum corps? I was sad to hear that the Glassmen folded, as I used to march there as well. I've seen a couple YouTube videos of some 2013 shows, and I remember all the debates over adding amps and electronics and still think it was a bad idea. I'm kinda sad that singing and sound effects haven't gone away as a fad.

So what other big changes have happened? Do we still get shows like 95 Scouts, 99 SCV, 02 Cavies, etc? Or has it all mostly gone the way of marching band? Will I be shocked in SA or still recognize it as the good old brass, percussion, and guard Drum Corps I remember?

And do cymbal lines still exist? I read something about the size being increased to 150 instead of the old 135? Will cymbal lines make a resurgence?

Yes, it has gone the way of marching bands, if I get what you're saying, but you'll still get a brass and percussion feel. It's worth checking out live to see for yourself, but it IS different.

Some of the stuff I dislike, some of it is ok.