What did I miss?

Just because one makes a choice to "prefer" the activity as it existed during a specific time period, it doesn't make them a "closed-minded individual." (By the way, it's "closed-minded," not "close-minded.")

A closed-minded individual states "Drum Corps DIED after the 1990's." Another person can state "I prefer Drum Corps as the way it existed in the 1970's through the 1990's" and be perfectly open minded. He is merely making a statement of preference -- not of fact.

Therefore...even though I have appreciated all Drum Corps activity over its' last 40 years, but who also happens to enjoy the activity as it existed in the 70's through the 90's the most, I take offense at being thought of as being "closed-minded." That's my problem, I realize, not yours.

I probably should have worded my response better. I did not mean that people who prefer DCI from the 80s are closed-minded (sorry about the typo in the original post). I myself miss the G bugles. What I was trying to convey is what you said in the 2nd line of your response. And if you look back at the post I had responded to, the person was referring to how many people on this forum think that Drum Corps is dead.

Crown is using trampolenes.

:silly:

already been done in WGI by a few groups :bleah:

Either way, if it is true and Crown is using them people will think it is awesome........if BD or Cadets are using them then people will hate it :silly:

• Like 4

Either way, if it is true and Crown is using them people will think it is awesome........if BD or Cadets are using them then people will hate it :silly:

It's sad how true that actually is.

I probably should have worded my response better. I did not mean that people who prefer DCI from the 80s are closed-minded (sorry about the typo in the original post). I myself miss the G bugles. What I was trying to convey is what you said in the 2nd line of your response. And if you look back at the post I had responded to, the person was referring to how many people on this forum think that Drum Corps is dead.

As last I knew, there will be a 2014 DCI Championships at Indianapolis this August. I think that, and that alone, dispels any rumor that "Drum Corps is dead." Whether or not individuals feel it is as "alive" as in previous years is up to the individual. However, I am not yet ready to commence with the post mortem.

And by the way...and I mean this EVER so sincerely as a person who has lost many in family in defense of this nation...I thank you for your sacrifice and service. You are to be commended.

I go into drum corps around 200 when I was still in high school and ended up marching from 2002-2005, aging out as a cymbal player in Crossmen. I went to a few shows in 2006 but ended up joining the military and spending some time in Afghanistan. Well now I'm back, I moved from Michigan to Texas, and am thinking about heading over to see the San Antonio show this summer.

My question is, what did I miss in the past 6-8 years of drum corps? I was sad to hear that the Glassmen folded, as I used to march there as well. I've seen a couple YouTube videos of some 2013 shows, and I remember all the debates over adding amps and electronics and still think it was a bad idea. I'm kinda sad that singing and sound effects haven't gone away as a fad.

So what other big changes have happened? Do we still get shows like 95 Scouts, 99 SCV, 02 Cavies, etc? Or has it all mostly gone the way of marching band? Will I be shocked in SA or still recognize it as the good old brass, percussion, and guard Drum Corps I remember?

And do cymbal lines still exist? I read something about the size being increased to 150 instead of the old 135? Will cymbal lines make a resurgence?

Welcome back brother (or sister?). We are glad to have you back safe and sound. Most of the posters pretty much outlined what you missed so there's nothing else for me to add.

I will say this. Do not let the negativity of this website force you to lose the entertainment factor that drum corps is all about. Contrary to popular belief of this site, drum corps is still here and there are lots of entertaining shows from which to choose since you have been gone.

• Like 2

Question: why did you choose a screen name that means "oppressive tyrant"?

Probably because DCP screen names are largely irrelevant. With that said, first, thanks for your service, I hope you're doing ok. With that said, DCI is pretty much what it has been since before your deployment. The top 7 are pretty much the same, to be honest not a lot of interest there (for me). The interesting battle every year happens between 10th and 14th place. You can pretty much predict year after year who is going to be in the top 6. After that is where things get interesting. Welcome back, your drum corps community loves you!

Do tell, MisterA, what corps should have placed third at best but won? Would you be referring to 2008 PR? And who should have placed 17 th but made the top 12? Troopers? Don't be such a tease. Spill the beans.

By the way, I'm thinking the OP is actually trolling. But that's ok, this is a fun discussion.

• Like 1

I am so waiting for a drum corps to play G bugles but do a very symphonic wind ensemble piece that all the drum corps is dying alarmists say it's not the way it was only to find out later it was in fact G.

Have you seen a marching band lately? They are very much like drum corps. I myself quit marching band because it wasn't like drum corps and always ragged on it. I have seen some really good marching bands lately and am very glad they are doing the stuff they are!

Crown is using trampolenes.

:silly:

how dare you show no respect for the corps or its wishes

:tounge2:

• Like 1